Singapore Expats Forum

Briton ‘paid’ to get molest charge dropped - would you?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1582
Joined: Wed, 04 Jul 2012

Postby offshoreoildude » Tue, 04 Sep 2012 7:18 am

nathan99 wrote:
offshoreoildude wrote:
nathan99 wrote:
offshoreoildude wrote:
Steve1960 wrote:Similiar scam in Philippines. Girl picks up a guy, they get to the hotel room, all of a sudden the police are knocking on the door, claims made the girl is under age (but never proven), foreigner taken to the Police station, then pays money to the Police under the table to get out so he does not end up in court and missing a flight.

Oh, and I am definitely not talking from personal experience! My wife is Filipina and the source of information :)


Sounds like the one in the PI where the taxi driver rings up the cops and tells them (in Tagalog) to pull you over for a drug sweep and 'surprise'! they find something on you but offer to let you off if you can liberate some cash from an ATM for you. It's a miserable country and best avoided IMO.


Another urban legend? Common sense would be fine to "survive" over there. Anyway, better keep your opinions to yourself, dude..


Some Tagalog speaker sounds a bit butthurt?


So your butt got hurt by your ex-wife?


Nope - I used to hurt her butt though. Sounds like you're an oversensitive PI butthurt though trying to defend a shithole of a place. Let me list the faults;
Overpopulated. No planning. No infrastructure investment. Facing massive starvation if the rice harvest fails. Incredibly corrupt. I could go on but why bother.... everyone else knows this. The only expats who want to live there are kiddy f....rs in my experience anyways.

nathan99
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat, 01 Sep 2012

Postby nathan99 » Tue, 04 Sep 2012 8:13 am

offshoreoildude wrote:
nathan99 wrote:
offshoreoildude wrote:
nathan99 wrote:
offshoreoildude wrote:
Steve1960 wrote:Similiar scam in Philippines. Girl picks up a guy, they get to the hotel room, all of a sudden the police are knocking on the door, claims made the girl is under age (but never proven), foreigner taken to the Police station, then pays money to the Police under the table to get out so he does not end up in court and missing a flight.

Oh, and I am definitely not talking from personal experience! My wife is Filipina and the source of information :)


Sounds like the one in the PI where the taxi driver rings up the cops and tells them (in Tagalog) to pull you over for a drug sweep and 'surprise'! they find something on you but offer to let you off if you can liberate some cash from an ATM for you. It's a miserable country and best avoided IMO.


Another urban legend? Common sense would be fine to "survive" over there. Anyway, better keep your opinions to yourself, dude..


Some Tagalog speaker sounds a bit butthurt?


So your butt got hurt by your ex-wife?


Nope - I used to hurt her butt though. Sounds like you're an oversensitive PI butthurt though trying to defend a shithole of a place. Let me list the faults;
Overpopulated. No planning. No infrastructure investment. Facing massive starvation if the rice harvest fails. Incredibly corrupt. I could go on but why bother.... everyone else knows this. The only expats who want to live there are kiddy f....rs in my experience anyways.


Yadda-yadda-yadda..typical mindset of a sissy complaining too much about life. I enjoyed some of your posts -- maybe the police can help you solve some of your problems but I guess not. They didn't help much when your wife kicked your butt, right..

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6842
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Tue, 04 Sep 2012 9:32 am

offshoreoildude wrote:Nope - I used to hurt her butt though. Sounds like you're an oversensitive PI butthurt though trying to defend a shithole of a place. Let me list the faults;
Overpopulated. No planning. No infrastructure investment. Facing massive starvation if the rice harvest fails. Incredibly corrupt. I could go on but why bother.... everyone else knows this. The only expats who want to live there are kiddy f....rs in my experience anyways.


Not that I have any major attachment to PI, but you described most of third-world SE Asia. And maybe you should expand your horizons beyond pedophiles :)

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35168
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 04 Sep 2012 11:33 am

Okay Guys, things are starting to get a little bit angsty and I think it's time to step back and take a chill pill. Can we stop the pissing contest? Thanks. :wink:

moderator

Steve1960
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1106
Joined: Mon, 13 Aug 2012
Location: Singapore

Postby Steve1960 » Tue, 04 Sep 2012 12:34 pm

Apologies I didn't mean to light the blue touch paper!

The common sense rules discussed here are definitely the way to travel Internationally. I think many of those that get themselves in trouble have done something stupid, taken risks and are often intoxicated.

The Philippines does indeed have many problems and it's difficult to see how they will improve the quality of life there but most of the people are warm and caring and I have made many friends there.

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 890
Joined: Mon, 02 Mar 2009

Postby morenangpinay » Tue, 04 Sep 2012 12:45 pm

offshoreoildude wrote:
Steve1960 wrote:Similiar scam in Philippines. Girl picks up a guy, they get to the hotel room, all of a sudden the police are knocking on the door, claims made the girl is under age (but never proven), foreigner taken to the Police station, then pays money to the Police under the table to get out so he does not end up in court and missing a flight.

Oh, and I am definitely not talking from personal experience! My wife is Filipina and the source of information :)


Sounds like the one in the PI where the taxi driver rings up the cops and tells them (in Tagalog) to pull you over for a drug sweep and 'surprise'! they find something on you but offer to let you off if you can liberate some cash from an ATM for you. It's a miserable country and best avoided IMO.


really?? i wonder where you went to make you say its miserable? care to share your experience?

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 890
Joined: Mon, 02 Mar 2009

Postby morenangpinay » Tue, 04 Sep 2012 2:37 pm

im sure you won't listen to me seeing as I am from the Philippines. unfortunately I feel the need to correct your misconceptions. Philippines is not overpopulated but congested and the congested areas are only in located in the country's capital of Manila. As for the infrastructure, since I went back in 2010 there are new buildings, trains, shopping malls,etc.

I don't see massive starvation anytime in the future either. Other than the corruption thing, I believe you are spreading ignorant comments. You are free to display yours but I am free to discredit your claims as well.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35168
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 04 Sep 2012 3:35 pm

And Nak is staying as far away from this thread as he can...... :cool:

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Tue, 04 Sep 2012 4:33 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:And Nak is staying as far away from this thread as he can...... :cool:


Oh, I've been watching in the sidelines.

NOTE: As much as I criticize Singapore, more so for the Philippines having spent most of my life there. I'm sure I'll do the same to another country once I live there long enough.

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1582
Joined: Wed, 04 Jul 2012

Postby offshoreoildude » Wed, 12 Sep 2012 7:35 am

http://www.tremeritus.com/2012/09/11/an ... e-dropped/

Two more, including a Singapore airline hostesss getting $10,000!

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35168
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 12 Sep 2012 8:36 am

While I don't doubt the molests actually took place, it's starting to look more and more like Singaporean women are cottoning to the fact that all they have to do if brushed up against in a crowded environment, especially if said environment might also entail too much drink, that they can just yell molest and the guy gets screwed without getting screwed. He either gets fined and/or caned or even if he doesn't he gets unwelcome notoriety or pays the girl off between 2~10K in bribes. Uncomfortable feeling here. I think the definition of "outraging the modesty of" or "molest" needs to be further defined.

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5272
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Postby the lynx » Wed, 12 Sep 2012 8:44 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:While I don't doubt the molests actually took place, it's starting to look more and more like Singaporean women are cottoning to the fact that all they have to do if brushed up against in a crowded environment, especially if said environment might also entail too much drink, that they can just yell molest and the guy gets screwed without getting screwed. He either gets fined and/or caned or even if he doesn't he gets unwelcome notoriety or pays the girl off between 2~10K in bribes. Uncomfortable feeling here. I think the definition of "outraging the modesty of" or "molest" needs to be further defined.


I'd still blame these women. Either they are opportunistic biatches (by crying wolf) or too easily convinced by the money (for genuine victims).

If it is a genuine case, I'd make sure he'd go straight down to jail and fine by law. No amount of compensation whatsoever can do for me. The women (and the court) are sending wrong messages.

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9319
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Wed, 12 Sep 2012 9:18 am

Yep, it's a paradox: if they agreed for a payment (as a replacement for the statutory punishment) then they were not the true victims so the whole molestation even if technically there was questionable.

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Wed, 12 Sep 2012 9:26 am

x9200 wrote:Yep, it's a paradox: if they agreed for a payment (as a replacement for the statutory punishment) then they were not the true victims so the whole molestation even if technically there was questionable.


All this seems whore-ish to me.

If it catches on, then it will inevitable build a reputation that these women are whores (but in a different way). More than their 'modesty' will be outraged.

Let them be. Men will learn to keep their hands to themselves (or to willing people), these shallow women will get their money and angry people will have another reason to lash out at the world.

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1582
Joined: Wed, 04 Jul 2012

Postby offshoreoildude » Wed, 12 Sep 2012 4:20 pm

nakatago wrote:
x9200 wrote:Yep, it's a paradox: if they agreed for a payment (as a replacement for the statutory punishment) then they were not the true victims so the whole molestation even if technically there was questionable.


All this seems whore-ish to me.

If it catches on, then it will inevitable build a reputation that these women are whores (but in a different way). More than their 'modesty' will be outraged.

Let them be. Men will learn to keep their hands to themselves (or to willing people), these shallow women will get their money and angry people will have another reason to lash out at the world.


It's simply a miscarriage of justice.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests