Singapore Expats Forum

Briton ‘paid’ to get molest charge dropped - would you?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1582
Joined: Wed, 04 Jul 2012

Postby offshoreoildude » Thu, 30 Aug 2012 5:07 pm

sensei_ wrote:
nutnut wrote:I wonder what would happen if I complained to the police that some woman had groped me in OT?


you might just get the "are you a poofter?" look from the cop if you made a report. :P


That reminds me of some stuck up SC woman who complained to the guards in OT that she had been groped. The guards response was 'why are in here then?'.

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6837
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Thu, 30 Aug 2012 10:16 pm

To the OP, yes, I would pay. As wrong and obnoxious as these scams are, if I found myself in a Singaporean court room with this choice, or prison, I'd be pay and head straight to Changi after.

User avatar
Brah
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1956
Joined: Sat, 18 Dec 2010

Postby Brah » Fri, 31 Aug 2012 7:06 am

I remember hearing about this before I arrived here from Japan.

It was an almost Urban Legend-like story that made its way around about a guy who brushed up against a woman who, either for being just opportunistic, or, perhaps that she was jilted and took her kiasu out of the guy.

The usual story - he didn't do it, it was his word against hers, he was white, she was local, he had to pay some huge sum of money or be jailed or was jailed for some time until he paid.

Stories like this, if they are true, kinda make Singapore look like some sort of banana republic.

So the conversation among a circle of guys in a bar over beers went something like "...if you go to Singapore make sure you never touch any of the girls...".


sundaymorningstaple wrote:It's been a scam in Singapore for quite a few years now. Singaporean women are getting pretty good at it. Worst part is, a lot of western men never learned how to talk to a girl without trying to paw her at the same time, after they've had a couple of drinks. Girls here have learned it's a quick way to a new Prada Bag. How to prostitute yourself without prostituting yourself! :(

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34272
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 31 Aug 2012 8:19 am

Would that it were only Urban Legend. It's been in the local bird cage liner several times over the past dozen or so years. It happens periodically, and (like rumour would have it) occasionally it doesn't make it to either the newspapers or police. I'm only speaking of cases that made it to the news, hence the police to make a charge.

User avatar
Addadude
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 683
Joined: Fri, 26 May 2006
Location: Darkest Telok Blangah
Contact:

Postby Addadude » Fri, 31 Aug 2012 11:23 am

I personally know of a (Singaporean) lawyer who is so scared of possible molest accusations that every time he gets into a crowded lift he puts his hands in his pockets for the entire journey.
"Both politicians and nappies need to be changed regularly, and for the same reasons."

sensei_
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 232
Joined: Sun, 31 Jul 2011
Location: Perth, Australia

Postby sensei_ » Fri, 31 Aug 2012 1:56 pm

offshoreoildude wrote:That reminds me of some stuck up SC woman who complained to the guards in OT that she had been groped. The guards response was 'why are in here then?'.


the cop does have a point. im betting she wasnt there for a drink either.

Addadude wrote:I personally know of a (Singaporean) lawyer who is so scared of possible molest accusations that every time he gets into a crowded lift he puts his hands in his pockets for the entire journey.


doesnt take much to be accused of such an offence. but in a crowded environment, it will be difficult to have your hands in your pockets because it is still your word against theirs

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1582
Joined: Wed, 04 Jul 2012

Postby offshoreoildude » Fri, 31 Aug 2012 5:26 pm

Addadude wrote:I personally know of a (Singaporean) lawyer who is so scared of possible molest accusations that every time he gets into a crowded lift he puts his hands in his pockets for the entire journey.


Smart man. I might begin emulating him (although personally keeping my hands in my pockets leads to tripping on things it seems).

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1582
Joined: Wed, 04 Jul 2012

Postby offshoreoildude » Sun, 02 Sep 2012 11:45 am

TNP Sunday had a pretty reasonable article on this problem. Apparently molestation outside the nightclubs is still quite a problem but the article still hints strongly that the molest victims are becoming 'more well-informed and savvy' meaning to me that they are setting men up deliberately.

One factor I was not aware of is that 'compounding' allows the defendant to escape a criminal record and I can well see why some men would pay for this 'privilege', particularly those who need to travel to the USA - land of the 'crimes of moral turpitude' clause!

Steve1960
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1106
Joined: Mon, 13 Aug 2012
Location: Singapore

Postby Steve1960 » Mon, 03 Sep 2012 12:29 pm

Similiar scam in Philippines. Girl picks up a guy, they get to the hotel room, all of a sudden the police are knocking on the door, claims made the girl is under age (but never proven), foreigner taken to the Police station, then pays money to the Police under the table to get out so he does not end up in court and missing a flight.

Oh, and I am definitely not talking from personal experience! My wife is Filipina and the source of information :)

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1582
Joined: Wed, 04 Jul 2012

Postby offshoreoildude » Mon, 03 Sep 2012 7:44 pm

Steve1960 wrote:Similiar scam in Philippines. Girl picks up a guy, they get to the hotel room, all of a sudden the police are knocking on the door, claims made the girl is under age (but never proven), foreigner taken to the Police station, then pays money to the Police under the table to get out so he does not end up in court and missing a flight.

Oh, and I am definitely not talking from personal experience! My wife is Filipina and the source of information :)


Sounds like the one in the PI where the taxi driver rings up the cops and tells them (in Tagalog) to pull you over for a drug sweep and 'surprise'! they find something on you but offer to let you off if you can liberate some cash from an ATM for you. It's a miserable country and best avoided IMO.

nathan99
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat, 01 Sep 2012

Postby nathan99 » Mon, 03 Sep 2012 10:04 pm

offshoreoildude wrote:
Steve1960 wrote:Similiar scam in Philippines. Girl picks up a guy, they get to the hotel room, all of a sudden the police are knocking on the door, claims made the girl is under age (but never proven), foreigner taken to the Police station, then pays money to the Police under the table to get out so he does not end up in court and missing a flight.

Oh, and I am definitely not talking from personal experience! My wife is Filipina and the source of information :)


Sounds like the one in the PI where the taxi driver rings up the cops and tells them (in Tagalog) to pull you over for a drug sweep and 'surprise'! they find something on you but offer to let you off if you can liberate some cash from an ATM for you. It's a miserable country and best avoided IMO.


Another urban legend? Common sense would be fine to "survive" over there. Anyway, better keep your opinions to yourself, dude..

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1582
Joined: Wed, 04 Jul 2012

Postby offshoreoildude » Mon, 03 Sep 2012 10:06 pm

nathan99 wrote:
offshoreoildude wrote:
Steve1960 wrote:Similiar scam in Philippines. Girl picks up a guy, they get to the hotel room, all of a sudden the police are knocking on the door, claims made the girl is under age (but never proven), foreigner taken to the Police station, then pays money to the Police under the table to get out so he does not end up in court and missing a flight.

Oh, and I am definitely not talking from personal experience! My wife is Filipina and the source of information :)


Sounds like the one in the PI where the taxi driver rings up the cops and tells them (in Tagalog) to pull you over for a drug sweep and 'surprise'! they find something on you but offer to let you off if you can liberate some cash from an ATM for you. It's a miserable country and best avoided IMO.


Another urban legend? Common sense would be fine to "survive" over there. Anyway, better keep your opinions to yourself, dude..


Some Tagalog speaker sounds a bit butthurt?

nathan99
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat, 01 Sep 2012

Postby nathan99 » Mon, 03 Sep 2012 10:15 pm

offshoreoildude wrote:
nathan99 wrote:
offshoreoildude wrote:
Steve1960 wrote:Similiar scam in Philippines. Girl picks up a guy, they get to the hotel room, all of a sudden the police are knocking on the door, claims made the girl is under age (but never proven), foreigner taken to the Police station, then pays money to the Police under the table to get out so he does not end up in court and missing a flight.

Oh, and I am definitely not talking from personal experience! My wife is Filipina and the source of information :)


Sounds like the one in the PI where the taxi driver rings up the cops and tells them (in Tagalog) to pull you over for a drug sweep and 'surprise'! they find something on you but offer to let you off if you can liberate some cash from an ATM for you. It's a miserable country and best avoided IMO.


Another urban legend? Common sense would be fine to "survive" over there. Anyway, better keep your opinions to yourself, dude..


Some Tagalog speaker sounds a bit butthurt?


So your butt got hurt by your ex-wife?

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34272
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 03 Sep 2012 10:29 pm

I've worked in Batanga, Makati and Puerto Princesa in Palawan for quite some time and never had a problem at all. Of course, I didn't run around dripping the offshore gold & rolex's as was done by a lot back in those days. As was noted, common sense will pretty much keep you okay.

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1582
Joined: Wed, 04 Jul 2012

Postby offshoreoildude » Tue, 04 Sep 2012 3:22 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I've worked in Batanga, Makati and Puerto Princesa in Palawan for quite some time and never had a problem at all. Of course, I didn't run around dripping the offshore gold & rolex's as was done by a lot back in those days. As was noted, common sense will pretty much keep you okay.


True - a lot of rumours can turn into 'fact' given enough exposure.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests