Singapore Expats Forum

Carrefour Leaving Singapore

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9159
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Re: Carrefour Leaving Singapore

Postby x9200 » Wed, 29 Aug 2012 12:36 pm

Travailes wrote:Gutted. I'm going to miss the choice of French goods they always used to stock at both stores and reasonable prices compared to their competitors. Just bought a load of rose champagne at SG34 a bottle. It's not Bolly but perfectly drinkable.

If you are into that kind of stuff then better look for Domaine Chandon (~$S40 in CS, brut NV regular and rose). It is established by M&C, have their wineries in Australia and the quality is (at least for me) indistinguishable from M&C.

Travailes
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 227
Joined: Wed, 04 May 2011

Re: Carrefour Leaving Singapore

Postby Travailes » Wed, 29 Aug 2012 2:20 pm

x9200 wrote:
Travailes wrote:Gutted. I'm going to miss the choice of French goods they always used to stock at both stores and reasonable prices compared to their competitors. Just bought a load of rose champagne at SG34 a bottle. It's not Bolly but perfectly drinkable.

If you are into that kind of stuff then better look for Domaine Chandon (~$S40 in CS, brut NV regular and rose). It is established by M&C, have their wineries in Australia and the quality is (at least for me) indistinguishable from M&C.


This stuff also retails under the 'Green Point' brand. Agree with your recommendation.
You can be a king or a street sweeper, but everyone gets to dance with the grim reaper.

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9159
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Wed, 29 Aug 2012 4:57 pm

Oh, I did know about Green Point. Thanks for the tip.

snowqueen
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 370
Joined: Mon, 11 Aug 2008
Location: East Coast, Singapore

Postby snowqueen » Wed, 29 Aug 2012 9:43 pm

I for one think it's quite sad they are going, I've often shopped at the Suntec store and they sometimes have some quite good deals on. Must stock up on PG tips before they go.

User avatar
Brah
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1956
Joined: Sat, 18 Dec 2010

Re: Carrefour Leaving Singapore

Postby Brah » Thu, 30 Aug 2012 9:44 am

Dunno, I see Carrefour and Giant as being at very different levels of quality.

Having options is good, different stores have different things. having less choice is not good. There are definitely things I like about Carrefour and will not like seeing them go.

Totally disagree about the comparison with Cold Storage except the cost.

Any info on the timeframe?

the lynx wrote:
Travailes wrote:Gutted. I'm going to miss the choice of French goods they always used to stock at both stores and reasonable prices compared to their competitors.


Won't feel too sad to see Carrefour gone, but won't be jubilant either. While their stock is generally okay, I don't like what I see at the spots where they sell prepared food (bread, deli, seafood). :-|

Giant is just as bad, if not worse.

Cold Storage is still better than both but that comes with higher price tag.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34258
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 30 Aug 2012 10:22 am

The news said by year end.

Travailes
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 227
Joined: Wed, 04 May 2011

Postby Travailes » Thu, 30 Aug 2012 12:00 pm

Wonder if they will be having a 'liquidation sale - everything must go' ! Makes no sense to ship back to France.
You can be a king or a street sweeper, but everyone gets to dance with the grim reaper.

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Thu, 30 Aug 2012 1:01 pm

Travailes wrote:Wonder if they will be having a 'liquidation sale - everything must go' ! Makes no sense to ship back to France.


Was just there this Sunday. They've started on the wine.

User avatar
ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1649
Joined: Wed, 29 Nov 2006
Location: A More Lucky Spot

Postby ScoobyDoes » Thu, 30 Aug 2012 1:37 pm

nakatago wrote:
Travailes wrote:Wonder if they will be having a 'liquidation sale - everything must go' ! Makes no sense to ship back to France.


Was just there this Sunday. They've started on the wine.



Is that a joke......or what you meant by a liquidation sale? :lol:
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Thu, 30 Aug 2012 1:45 pm

ScoobyDoes wrote:
nakatago wrote:
Travailes wrote:Wonder if they will be having a 'liquidation sale - everything must go' ! Makes no sense to ship back to France.


Was just there this Sunday. They've started on the wine.



Is that a joke......or what you meant by a liquidation sale? :lol:


They've started putting wine on promotion.

User avatar
Brah
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1956
Joined: Sat, 18 Dec 2010

Postby Brah » Thu, 30 Aug 2012 7:18 pm

that, or drinking themselves under in commiseration, working their way to the vodka....

ScoobyDoes wrote:
nakatago wrote:
Travailes wrote:Wonder if they will be having a 'liquidation sale - everything must go' ! Makes no sense to ship back to France.


Was just there this Sunday. They've started on the wine.



Is that a joke......or what you meant by a liquidation sale? :lol:


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests