Singapore Expats

Booze Buying In Malaysia

Share your favourite eating haunts!
Travailes
Chatter
Chatter

Booze Buying In Malaysia

Post by Travailes » Mon, 27 Aug 2012 1:32 pm

Is this a viable option or are there limits on how much you can import back into Singapore. Same applies to Beer I guess. Just thinking out loud !
You can be a king or a street sweeper, but everyone gets to dance with the grim reaper.

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Mon, 27 Aug 2012 1:37 pm

It won't work if you're flying. There's no duty free limit for coming in from MY. There's no conceivable way to do it with land transport either.

Travailes
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Travailes » Mon, 27 Aug 2012 1:58 pm

offshoreoildude wrote:It won't work if you're flying. There's no duty free limit for coming in from MY. There's no conceivable way to do it with land transport either.
Meant to elaborate that it would be by car. Do you mean there is no duty free (allowance) coming from Malaysia to SG or there is no restriction on your duty free limit (allowance) ?

EDIT - Think I just read you cannot bring in duty free to SG from Malaysia. Guess that makes sense. What about shopping in Giant / Carrefour instead etc. Can't seem to find any prices on their MY websites though.
You can be a king or a street sweeper, but everyone gets to dance with the grim reaper.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Re: Booze Buying In Malaysia

Post by the lynx » Mon, 27 Aug 2012 2:20 pm

Travailes wrote:Is this a viable option or are there limits on how much you can import back into Singapore. Same applies to Beer I guess. Just thinking out loud !
Yes there are limits.

http://www.customs.gov.sg/leftNav/trav/ ... Relief.htm

You can enjoy one of the following duty-free concessions for liquor products if:

You are 18 years old or above;
You have spent 48 hours or more outside Singapore immediately before arrival;
You have not arrived from Malaysia; and
The liquors are not prohibited from import into Singapore.

Option

A:

Spirits 1L

Wine 1L

Beer 1L

B:

Spirits -

Wine 2L

Beer 1L

C:

Spirits -

Wine 1L

Beer 2L

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Mon, 27 Aug 2012 2:38 pm

I now understand. You're wondering if beer is cheaper in JB whether you can just fill up your car with cartons? Probably not. Both sides will have an issue maybe. Personally I suspect you'd get away most of the time with a carton - esp if you said it was bought duty paid in JB and you have a receipt.

v4jr4
Reporter
Reporter

Post by v4jr4 » Mon, 27 Aug 2012 2:46 pm

Travailes wrote:What about shopping in Giant / Carrefour instead etc. Can't seem to find any prices on their MY websites though.
I saw some booze at Carrefour around Suntec City area.
You can try to explore Fair Price and Cold Storage as well.

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Mon, 27 Aug 2012 3:14 pm

I was allowed to bring in 2L of scotch when I arrived from my home country, but, I think they really treated me like it was a massive favour and I shouldn't tell anyone....
nutnut

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Mon, 27 Aug 2012 3:46 pm

nutnut wrote:I was allowed to bring in 2L of scotch when I arrived from my home country, but, I think they really treated me like it was a massive favour and I shouldn't tell anyone....
Maybe they were commiserating. :)
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

sensei_
Chatter
Chatter

Post by sensei_ » Mon, 27 Aug 2012 10:42 pm

depends on your luck, ive always been always to smuggle a bottle of two when driving back from m'sia.