Singapore Expats Forum

Help, Non-Singaporean giving brith in Singapore

Discuss parenting issues with other moms here.
tanjasminetan

Help, Non-Singaporean giving brith in Singapore

Postby tanjasminetan » Sat, 25 Aug 2012 10:58 pm

Hi,

I am Malaysian, work permit holder in Singapore, got pregnant this year and married to a Singapore guy.

We want our baby to be Singaporean.

Is there any penalty fine for me if i deliver my baby in Singapore?
Heard that work permit holder or non-Singaporean will be fine if deliver their baby in Singapore, is this true, i cannot find any information about this.

I am applying my Singapore PR now, will still be a Malaysian during deliver, intend to do my postpartum confinement (坐月子) in Malaysia, together with my baby.
Is it troublesome for new born to apply passport and go oversea?

the lynx
Governor
Governor

Re: Help, Non-Singaporean giving brith in Singapore

Postby the lynx » Sat, 25 Aug 2012 11:34 pm

tanjasminetan wrote:Hi,

I am Malaysian, work permit holder in Singapore, got pregnant this year and married to a Singapore guy.

We want our baby to be Singaporean.

Is there any penalty fine for me if i deliver my baby in Singapore?
Heard that work permit holder or non-Singaporean will be fine if deliver their baby in Singapore, is this true, i cannot find any information about this.

I am applying my Singapore PR now, will still be a Malaysian during deliver, intend to do my postpartum confinement (坐月子) in Malaysia, together with my baby.
Is it troublesome for new born to apply passport and go oversea?

1. Did you get permission from MOM before you got married to your Singaporean husband? If yes, no problem. If no, you will get fined and deported/banned from Singapore for life.

2. If yes to the above question, your child will be Singaporean because of your husband.

3. I'm not familiar with the passport part, sorry. Have to let other forumers who are more familiar to explain to you.

tanjasminetan

Postby tanjasminetan » Sun, 26 Aug 2012 5:24 am

I got the approval from MOM before our marriage.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 26 Aug 2012 11:22 am

No worries. The Baby will be Singaporean, and you will still be allowed to work.

angeltan321

Postby angeltan321 » Thu, 27 Jun 2013 10:40 pm

hi,i am a work permit holder who married a singaporean,until i deliver my child here i still under work permit.The child will definately become a singaporean when you give birth in singapore and it is eligable for a singaporean spouse to give birth the child in singapore meaning there's no penalty fee.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 27 Jun 2013 10:59 pm

Just to add to lynx's reply, if you give birth here and you did not have permission from MOM and the father is a Singaporean, you will be deported and the baby will have to remain in Singapore unless you can get dual citizenship for the baby. This is know. I have a little 5 year old grand-niece living with me who's mother has been banished to the 'peens and the baby only had Singaporean citizenship so cannot stay in the 'peens.