Where and When is it Appropriate to Bargain for Merchandise?

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
uscate
Chatter
Chatter

Where and When is it Appropriate to Bargain for Merchandise?

Post by uscate » Thu, 23 Aug 2012 10:27 pm

Is bargaining a part of the culture? Or is it frowned upon?

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Thu, 23 Aug 2012 10:35 pm

If you don't see a price sticker on the merchandise, ask for a best price. If they try to bundle things ("freebies" and "gifts" and whatnot) with the merchandise that has price stickers, ask if you can get more. If they ask you how much your budget is, give them a very low number.

It's in their DNA.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

uscate
Chatter
Chatter

Post by uscate » Thu, 23 Aug 2012 11:20 pm

Thank you Nakatago - I love the game of bargaining, so look forward to this aspect of shopping in Singapore!

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 24 Aug 2012 2:05 am

uscate wrote:Thank you Nakatago - I love the game of bargaining, so look forward to this aspect of shopping in Singapore!
For any item you bargain on that's a significant amount, make sure the quoted price includes GST. IF you see a posted price, know that it legally must include GST. If someone claims it doesn't, don't say a thing. Immediately pull out your phone, take a photo of the item with price, of them, and tell them you're going to the police and to STOMP. It's the most effective way to get things done unfortunately :(

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 24 Aug 2012 9:14 am

Haggling and bargaining...it seems to me that it's a game of who can be the shameless the most. Ironic, given that people are so afraid of losing face but don't mind being so thick skinned, you can feel their nose pressing against your face a mile away.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Re: Where and When is it Appropriate to Bargain for Merchand

Post by the lynx » Fri, 24 Aug 2012 9:26 am

uscate wrote:Is bargaining a part of the culture? Or is it frowned upon?
Unfortunately (for haggle-lovers), Singaporean traders can be pretty vague about price, haggle and price structure. It is not like Thailand, where you can haggle anything (even the price-tagged ones) as long as you're not in a mall or established shopping district.

For example, Bugis market used to have that (many many years ago) but ever since it got a makeover and was given a 'slightly' classier look, the traders immediately shed off haggling and flatly tell every shopper that the price is fixed and no haggling is allowed. Of course, they are the happy ones.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Fri, 24 Aug 2012 9:53 am

I believe you can bargaining in Singapore almost everywhere even if you see the price sticker. This is less or none for some bigger retail networks but definitely yes for smaller shops. Especially if you buy a bit more a bundle price / discounts may likely be there.

uscate
Chatter
Chatter

Post by uscate » Fri, 24 Aug 2012 8:40 pm

Thanks for all of your advice - for me, haggling is fun - but I'm not hard core - everyone's gotta make a living....