Singapore Expats

Two of my friends have refused transfers to Singapore

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 27 Aug 2012 1:16 pm

the lynx wrote:
Segue wrote:The casual nature of this place is one the things I really like. I can wear a Hawaiian shirt and sandals and get into most places except for fine dining.
And Singapore is one of the few countries that don't have a problem of having half of working female population wearing the following to work:

1. Shorts (these include mini shorts)
2. Mini skirts
3. Tops with plunging neckline
3. Cocktail dresses (seriously, account girls?)
4. Leggings
5. Tube tops or halter tops
6. Sheer clothes
7. Garish underwear underneath sheer clothes
8. Mini dresses
I don't see the problem? :???: :cool:

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 27 Aug 2012 1:29 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
the lynx wrote:
Segue wrote:The casual nature of this place is one the things I really like. I can wear a Hawaiian shirt and sandals and get into most places except for fine dining.
And Singapore is one of the few countries that don't have a problem of having half of working female population wearing the following to work:

2. Mini skirts
4. Leggings
6. Sheer clothes
8. Mini dresses
Men do not see that as a problem...

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Mon, 27 Aug 2012 1:45 pm

the lynx wrote:

2. Mini skirts
4. Leggings
6. Sheer clothes
8. Mini dresses
It bothers me. I have a very cautious approach to women in the work force having had a trumped up harassment charge back in Oz leveled at me (for wishing someone well). The only exchanges I have with women in Western workplaces are hello, goodbye and work matters. Anything else is asking for a sex harassment case in this day and age - Singapore is ok actually but I still pretty much consider women dressed above as potential land mines best kept away from. I have no interest in suiciding my career with some bimbo.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 27 Aug 2012 1:50 pm

the lynx wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:
Men do not see that as a problem...
Women do?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 27 Aug 2012 1:56 pm

Oh yeah! They sure do.

If fact, in 100% of the cases of dress code violations (perceived and otherwise) brought to my attention in the 30 years I've been here, it's been from women complaining about other women.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 27 Aug 2012 2:00 pm

Although I must say, I actually hauled one girl on the carpet for her dress sense without waiting for anybody else to bring me a complaint. I couldn't concentrate either! Skirt any shorter, she would have needed to get two haircuts! :o
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Mon, 27 Aug 2012 2:03 pm

I was about to reply about women bitching about other women or competition for the attention of the attractive men but SMS nailed it right there. Pardon the pun.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 27 Aug 2012 2:15 pm

the lynx wrote:

2. Mini skirts
4. Leggings
6. Sheer clothes
8. Mini dresses
Did I imply the above as a 'problem'? Meh. To be honest I couldn't be bothered because I do not wear the above for work (if you know what I do for living). So these women can compete against each other for male attention for all I care.

As long as they don't trip on their way down the stairs behind me, I am absolutely fine with whatever they are wearing.

Note: The stairs part is a true story :mad:

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 27 Aug 2012 2:35 pm

the lynx wrote:
the lynx wrote:

2. Mini skirts
4. Leggings
6. Sheer clothes
8. Mini dresses
Did I imply the above as a 'problem'?
It seems so :)

the lynx
Governor
Governor

Post by the lynx » Mon, 27 Aug 2012 2:38 pm

x9200 wrote:
the lynx wrote:
the lynx wrote: And Singapore is one of the few countries that don't have a problem of having half of working female population wearing the following to work:

2. Mini skirts
4. Leggings
6. Sheer clothes
8. Mini dresses
Did I imply the above as a 'problem'?
It seems so :)
Auw... you nit-picker! :P

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 27 Aug 2012 2:45 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Although I must say, I actually hauled one girl on the carpet for her dress sense without waiting for anybody else to bring me a complaint. I couldn't concentrate either! Skirt any shorter, she would have needed to get two haircuts! :o
That's called a greyhound skirt... running very close to the hare, as it were.

revhappy
Editor
Editor

Post by revhappy » Mon, 27 Aug 2012 3:20 pm

Segue wrote:
nutnut wrote:So how?

Is this just a FYI?
Just to start a dialog :D

I'm always wondering how the locals survive. I make pretty good money but still I have to sacrifice a lot to be here relative to my lifestyle when I arrived here 7 years ago. I mean I can just one day pack up and leave this place when I'm fed up with it, but most locals are kind of stuck.

It seems you really have to be in the high paying sectors like financial services to afford a decent lifestyle. Either that or be independently wealthy like a Jim Rogers. I remember the vision that Singapore wanted to become the Monaco of Asia. I think they have achieved this goal.
Not that difficult. If you are talking about the rich, they have no problems as they own the condos that you guys rent and are the direct beneficiaries of the rise in cost that you are talking about. They own the mercs and beemers which many of the rich expats too dont get to enjoy because they always compare relative to their country driving here is expensive so they take the MRT.

If you are talking about the middle income ones, again, they get HDBs for cheap and mostly stay with their parents and rent out their HDBs to the non expat foreigner workers like us. Most of them own cars and again they are better off than you guys on that regard :P

The lowest strata, again, housing no worries, but yeah they slog like hell and these guys are unhappy, but then which country doesnt have a sizeable population living is relatively lower quality of life, other than Switzerland may be :P

v4jr4
Reporter
Reporter

Post by v4jr4 » Mon, 27 Aug 2012 3:35 pm

revhappy wrote:
Segue wrote:
nutnut wrote:So how?

Is this just a FYI?
Just to start a dialog :D

I'm always wondering how the locals survive. I make pretty good money but still I have to sacrifice a lot to be here relative to my lifestyle when I arrived here 7 years ago. I mean I can just one day pack up and leave this place when I'm fed up with it, but most locals are kind of stuck.

It seems you really have to be in the high paying sectors like financial services to afford a decent lifestyle. Either that or be independently wealthy like a Jim Rogers. I remember the vision that Singapore wanted to become the Monaco of Asia. I think they have achieved this goal.
Not that difficult. If you are talking about the rich, they have no problems as they own the condos that you guys rent and are the direct beneficiaries of the rise in cost that you are talking about. They own the mercs and beemers which many of the rich expats too dont get to enjoy because they always compare relative to their country driving here is expensive so they take the MRT.

If you are talking about the middle income ones, again, they get HDBs for cheap and mostly stay with their parents and rent out their HDBs to the non expat foreigner workers like us. Most of them own cars and again they are better off than you guys on that regard :P

The lowest strata, again, housing no worries, but yeah they slog like hell and these guys are unhappy, but then which country doesnt have a sizeable population living is relatively lower quality of life, other than Switzerland may be :P
In short, all those complaints about FT(s) and cheap foreign labors are part of a bluffing game? :P

revhappy
Editor
Editor

Post by revhappy » Mon, 27 Aug 2012 4:02 pm

v4jr4 wrote:
revhappy wrote:
Segue wrote: Just to start a dialog :D

In short, all those complaints about FT(s) and cheap foreign labors are part of a bluffing game? :P
Well, the OP was talking about survival. The complaints against foreigners is mainly due to unhappiness due to crowding in MRTs and the social frictions due to overwhelming number of foreigners. Totally different things :)

I am doing my part as far as crowding MRT is concerned, I ride my motorcycle to work :P

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 27 Aug 2012 5:30 pm

They also complain about the crowded roads & suicidal motorcyclists as well. :tongue: :devil: :lol: