Singapore Expats Forum

LinkedIn - hints - it works even in Singapore

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34336
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Re: Linkedin Job search

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 15 May 2013 3:08 pm

SMP wrote:Hi

I am currently in USA and looking for job prospects in Singapore. I am SAP project Manager with 16+ years IT work experience.

How do I go about using Linkedin ( converting into premium member but with location as USA) or any other popular methods to do Singapore Job search?

Please suggest


Scroll up to see the post:

Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:46 am

should be able to get you started on how to make yourself visible over here.

kooltilldend
Regular
Regular
Posts: 65
Joined: Tue, 20 Jul 2010

Postby kooltilldend » Mon, 08 Jul 2013 6:10 pm

The only thing LinkedIn doesn't do (and I guess no other site does either) is inform potential recruiters that you are open to relocating to xyz countries (so for me I'm open to relocating in India, Thailand, UK or staying in Singapore)

Yes you can put it somewhere in your profile but there's no knowing if anybody will actually see it (most won't imo)...you can also add it in your "tagline"...but really, who does?

You can however apply for jobs anywhere globally on LinkedIn (just change the country to what you want) and then once recruiters contact you via phone or (much more likely) email - just respond to them saying you are open to relocation

Its the only thing I can think of anyways

brian_singapore
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 312
Joined: Mon, 29 Jul 2013

Postby brian_singapore » Tue, 30 Jul 2013 12:39 am

Just wanted to thank everyone who contributed to this post. Found it immensely helpful.

Now to turn off my notifications so the boss and co-workers don't see the big caps LOOKING FOR SINGAPORE JOB! :-)

PNGMK
Director
Director
Posts: 4896
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013

Postby PNGMK » Tue, 30 Jul 2013 10:31 am

amarettoSour wrote:Would like to chime in that i got contacted for my current job through linkedin as well! I was already working in singapore by then, and a large amount of "job prospect" i got from linkedin are spammy, but once in a awhile i do get contacted by recruiters from companies with good reputation.

Just want to reiterate the importance of keeping your linkedin account up to date. You never know who is looking.


Good to know. +1000 internets for you. As I keep telling people there are thousands and thousands of bored mind numbed recruiters out there trying to hit their target or get a commission by endlessly trawling through linkedin. The job you want is open and a worker ant HR drone is trawling LI looking for you right now!

ts1978
Member
Member
Posts: 32
Joined: Sat, 05 May 2007
Location: US

Postby ts1978 » Thu, 08 Aug 2013 9:47 am

Relevant news topic to this discussion:

http://www.ere.net/2013/08/01/linkedin- ... s-monster/

LinkedIn has passed Monster.com for recruitment-related revenue.

It's hard to imagine a future for companies like Monster at the moment, there's just so much more value-add for both the recruiter and the person being recruited on a platform like LinkedIn.

What I do think there is room are some services, sites, or networks that specialize in vocational roles, especially if they can pre-screen employees for certain kinds of skills (like LinkedIn Endorsements - but actually meaningful)

Edit: Just to add my own experiences to the body of knowledge we're collecting here: I recently took a new job (exec-level) that I learned about from one of the weekly "Jobs you might be interested in" spam emails from LinkedIn. It's the first time since my very first job out of uni 15 years ago that a job didn't come from a personal/business connection somehow.

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 609
Joined: Wed, 17 Apr 2013

Postby AngMoG » Thu, 08 Aug 2013 11:55 am

Monster has really started annoying me recently... They are far behind in the race now.
1) Their search is utter crap, and return something like 'sys admin' when I'm looking for 'project manager'.
2) Recruiters do not like it anymore either - the number of relevant jobs there has decreased significantly compared to other platforms.
3) One of the problems is the 'simple apply' thing without a cover letter. It's great for the applicant, but crap for the recruiter. Jobsdb offers maintaining several cover letters, and jobstreet has an SMS-sized cover letter field when you submit (that does not allow standard copy&paste).

Anyway, off the path a bit... so far my LinkedIn experience has been mixed, but it is definitely worth keeping one's profile up to date... I get a message/call every now and then, and the roles are actually relevant.

PNGMK
Director
Director
Posts: 4896
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013

Postby PNGMK » Thu, 08 Aug 2013 7:06 pm

AngMoG wrote:Monster has really started annoying me recently... They are far behind in the race now.
1) Their search is utter crap, and return something like 'sys admin' when I'm looking for 'project manager'.
2) Recruiters do not like it anymore either - the number of relevant jobs there has decreased significantly compared to other platforms.
3) One of the problems is the 'simple apply' thing without a cover letter. It's great for the applicant, but crap for the recruiter. Jobsdb offers maintaining several cover letters, and jobstreet has an SMS-sized cover letter field when you submit (that does not allow standard copy&paste).

Anyway, off the path a bit... so far my LinkedIn experience has been mixed, but it is definitely worth keeping one's profile up to date... I get a message/call every now and then, and the roles are actually relevant.


Pretty much any 'push' type system has become crap for specialist or high end jobs (I'm thinking of Rigzone for my industry - a OnG recruiter told me they no longer use it as the number of relevants responses is too low for it to be a viable method). I have no idea how to recruit generalist positions tho.

PNGMK
Director
Director
Posts: 4896
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013

Postby PNGMK » Thu, 08 Aug 2013 7:07 pm

ts1978 wrote:Relevant news topic to this discussion:

http://www.ere.net/2013/08/01/linkedin- ... s-monster/

LinkedIn has passed Monster.com for recruitment-related revenue.

It's hard to imagine a future for companies like Monster at the moment, there's just so much more value-add for both the recruiter and the person being recruited on a platform like LinkedIn.

What I do think there is room are some services, sites, or networks that specialize in vocational roles, especially if they can pre-screen employees for certain kinds of skills (like LinkedIn Endorsements - but actually meaningful)

Edit: Just to add my own experiences to the body of knowledge we're collecting here: I recently took a new job (exec-level) that I learned about from one of the weekly "Jobs you might be interested in" spam emails from LinkedIn. It's the first time since my very first job out of uni 15 years ago that a job didn't come from a personal/business connection somehow.


+1 for you. First I've heard of that function working in LI.

PNGMK
Director
Director
Posts: 4896
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013

Postby PNGMK » Fri, 23 Aug 2013 9:38 pm

FYI I was at a new employee orientation today (my employer has been acquired by a massive MNC). I asked the 6 others at my table how'd they'd found their job - 4 of them had been recruited via Linked in (including myself indirectly).

If you're not using LinkedIn you're in the dark ages for finding a job. 2 of these people were contacted DIRECTLY by the recruiters in the MNC - not even via a headhunter!

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10468
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

LinkedIn Turning Into "Just Another Job Board"??

Postby Strong Eagle » Sat, 07 Sep 2013 1:38 am

LinkedIn Turning Into "Just Another Job Board"??

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/0 ... 65859.html

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 3797
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012
Location: SIndiapore

Re: LinkedIn Turning Into "Just Another Job Board"

Postby Wd40 » Sat, 07 Sep 2013 12:12 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:LinkedIn Turning Into "Just Another Job Board"??

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/0 ... 65859.html


I knew this all along, but the interesting thing is when I looked to share this Huffingtonpost article on linked in, I couldn't find any "button" to do it. There is a button for Facebook and Twitter, but not Linked In. You guys thinking what I am thinking? ;)

Linked In is so powerful and widespread now, that I dont think any other news site will put up an article like that, for obvious reasons :-|

PNGMK
Director
Director
Posts: 4896
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013

Re: LinkedIn Turning Into "Just Another Job Board"

Postby PNGMK » Sat, 07 Sep 2013 8:29 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:LinkedIn Turning Into "Just Another Job Board"??

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/0 ... 65859.html

I think LI is struggling not to mess up it's successful formula. After going public it suddenly has a lot of money it can't resist spending by modifying and messing about.

They clearly don't know the offshore mantra; if it's not broke, don't mess with it!

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Re: LinkedIn Turning Into "Just Another Job Board"

Postby nakatago » Sat, 07 Sep 2013 8:38 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:LinkedIn Turning Into "Just Another Job Board"??

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/0 ... 65859.html


Not doing a very good job at it. It's wonderful if your industry fits in into its algorithms for recommended jobs.

It sucks big time for niche industries--you can't even get it to filter jobs properly. LinkedIn needs to work on how they let users filter stuff.

raahinternational
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat, 23 Nov 2013
Location: SINGAPORE
Contact:

Postby raahinternational » Mon, 25 Nov 2013 12:49 pm

Can I ask ...
can linkedin be used to find someone who is currently seeking job in Oil&gas suppliers field ?
Do i need to be a premier member of linkedin to be able to search for profiles of job seekers in the oil&gas field...?

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34336
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 25 Nov 2013 1:10 pm

They didn't give you much training to be a recruiter, did they?


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post
  • Advice on LinkedIn
    by BenjaminTeh » Wed, 28 Jan 2015 9:46 am » in Careers & Jobs in Singapore
    7
    917
    by PNGMK View the latest post
    Thu, 29 Jan 2015 8:50 am
  • LinkedIn Premium
    by Edgar P » Thu, 29 Jun 2017 2:01 pm » in Careers & Jobs in Singapore
    6
    1077
    by Barnsley View the latest post
    Fri, 14 Jul 2017 10:04 am
  • What to do while my husband works in Singapore
    by Munekita » Thu, 22 Aug 2013 9:16 am » in Relocating, Moving to Singapore
    31
    9743
    by zzm9980 View the latest post
    Thu, 28 Nov 2013 10:40 am
  • Who works weekends!?
    by Tsilivi » Mon, 07 Jan 2013 5:47 pm » in 30's Club
    12
    3847
    by ShanZen View the latest post
    Thu, 17 Jan 2013 9:39 pm
  • Estate agency - how it really works
    by JR8 » Sun, 10 Nov 2013 9:12 pm » in Leisure Chat, Jokes, Rubbish
    0
    896
    by JR8 View the latest post
    Sun, 10 Nov 2013 9:12 pm

Return to “Careers & Jobs in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest