Singapore Expats

LinkedIn - hints - it works even in Singapore

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
nakatago

Re: Just tried it... fingers crossed

Post by nakatago » Wed, 17 Oct 2012 5:26 pm

Beth McCarey wrote:Thanks for your recommendation - just subscribed.

Only in week 2 of job hunting but I'm finding the recruiters difficult to engage. I had been warned about the reducing number of roles open to non PR and my experience to date supports this. Has anyone got any contacts for agents who work with expats? I'm in HR.

Thanks
If you read up some more, you'll learn that recruiters here are nigh useless for job hunters. The only upside is, it's illegal for them to charge you. But you're still better off doing the searching yourself.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

rapapo1

Post by rapapo1 » Wed, 31 Oct 2012 10:55 pm

Thanks for the advice. I didn't buy a premium account but I did enhance my profile. Soon 2 headhunters approached me and I'm getting a new job next year :)
Not in Singapore or anywhere abroad but much better than the previous one.
Anyway, I think LinkedIn is giving a "bonus" for those who change something or develop their profile. A few days after I did improve my profile, I've seen more traffic there. Next week or two, nothing new came. So it could be a major coincidence or linkedin simply has a strategy to support those who develop their profiles (at this very moment). Which obviously makes a lot of sense.

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Wed, 31 Oct 2012 11:43 pm

rapapo1 wrote:Thanks for the advice. I didn't buy a premium account but I did enhance my profile. Soon 2 headhunters approached me and I'm getting a new job next year :)
Anyway, I think LinkedIn is giving a "bonus" for those who change something or develop their profile. A few days after I did improve my profile, I've seen more traffic there. Next week or two, nothing new came. So it could be a major coincidence or linkedin simply has a strategy to support those who develop their profiles (at this very moment). Which obviously makes a lot of sense.
Changing something in your profile usually increases views. However what you changed possibly brought you to the attention of a headhunter. Thanks for confirming my belief that LI is the only way to go now.
Now I'm called PNGMK

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 01 Nov 2012 8:17 am

offshoreoildude wrote:
rapapo1 wrote:Thanks for the advice. I didn't buy a premium account but I did enhance my profile. Soon 2 headhunters approached me and I'm getting a new job next year :)
Changing something in your profile usually increases views. However what you changed possibly brought you to the attention of a headhunter. Thanks for confirming my belief that LI is the only way to go now.
Not the only way, but I think the best way outside of personal networking.

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Thu, 01 Nov 2012 9:20 am

zzm9980 wrote:
offshoreoildude wrote:
Not the only way, but I think the best way outside of personal networking.
Yes but most of our posters seem to have negative EQ, hence for them, the only way is LI! :P
Now I'm called PNGMK

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Thu, 01 Nov 2012 10:20 am

If you've been with LinkedIn for years now, they may give you a free month of premium access. I've been given it twice in the last 3 months.

And as OSOD said, changing something in your profile keeps it in the "recent changes" lists of other account holders. That gets recruiters' attention.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Thu, 01 Nov 2012 2:01 pm

Now I'm called PNGMK

von-mises

Post by von-mises » Thu, 15 Nov 2012 8:26 pm

I have been lucky using linkedin, not the premium version but the regular. Joined a few groups that i was interested in and applied to a few job postings there and bingo somebody in europe found my profile interesting and we had our interview and landed the job.

Changing your profile adds up as the recruiters look for the key words and if they match i guess the resume turns up and they further go through the process of elimination. Having an updated profile certainly helps.
Let knowledge come to us from all sides

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter

Post by morenangpinay » Thu, 07 Feb 2013 3:10 pm

thanks for all the tips. I have a question which has been making it difficult for me to be found online. My current position (on my pass) doesnt fit my role and isnt related to my career. Its actually different from the position advertised. When my boss applied for the visa, they changed the position to something else which he probably thinks is related because he took the title literally. now i attract HRs and agents related to that industry instead of the actual industry i am in.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Thu, 07 Feb 2013 4:17 pm

morenangpinay wrote:thanks for all the tips. I have a question which has been making it difficult for me to be found online. My current position (on my pass) doesnt fit my role and isnt related to my career. Its actually different from the position advertised. When my boss applied for the visa, they changed the position to something else which he probably thinks is related because he took the title literally. now i attract HRs and agents related to that industry instead of the actual industry i am in.
You can fix that by assigning your intended field of career in your profile. So that when the search bots will hit based on that info instead of the 'perceived' title.

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Fri, 08 Feb 2013 12:57 am

I have been looking for a job change since last 1 month and to me linked in is not the best way to look for a job atleast in Singapore.

Monster and efinancialcareers(if you are looking for a Banking job) are the only site for decent mid level executive jobs for foreigners.

All other job sites like jobsdb, jobscentral, jobstreet cater to the low level jobs that mostly carry "Singaporean/PR only" tags in them and pay peanuts.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 08 Feb 2013 6:56 am

Ever think it might be the person and not the medium? Most if not almost everybody else disagrees with your synopsis. :-|
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

yvrpinoy

Post by yvrpinoy » Fri, 08 Feb 2013 2:09 pm

the lynx wrote:
morenangpinay wrote:thanks for all the tips. I have a question which has been making it difficult for me to be found online. My current position (on my pass) doesnt fit my role and isnt related to my career. Its actually different from the position advertised. When my boss applied for the visa, they changed the position to something else which he probably thinks is related because he took the title literally. now i attract HRs and agents related to that industry instead of the actual industry i am in.
You can fix that by assigning your intended field of career in your profile. So that when the search bots will hit based on that info instead of the 'perceived' title.
Hi,

I have a similar problem. Just to clarify, do you mean "changing" the title of your most recent job in your profile ? I am new to linked in. In my profile it shows my current job title which is common in government but not in private sector.

proxymoron
Regular
Regular

Post by proxymoron » Fri, 08 Feb 2013 2:25 pm

yvrpinoy wrote: Hi,

I have a similar problem. Just to clarify, do you mean "changing" the title of your most recent job in your profile ? I am new to linked in. In my profile it shows my current job title which is common in government but not in private sector.
Its your LinkedIn profile mate... not MOM's or your current companies. So you can update it the way you want. But be true to your expertise and competence. Coz the people who hire you will definitely know your qualities once you start working with them. But tweaking your current title 'horizontally' is usually something acceptable in the private sector.
Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement.

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Fri, 08 Feb 2013 3:47 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Ever think it might be the person and not the medium? Most if not almost everybody else disagrees with your synopsis. :-|
I agree that Linked in is good for networking but in Singapore its still the conventional style of posting resume in job site works best.

I read what others have posted, if you read again couple of them have got jobs abroad but not in Singapore. I am talking from 1st hand experience.
I got couple calls from recruiters and that is from my resume in monster and not from my Linked In profile.

I would recommend you to do some job searches in linked in and see how many results you get for Singapore location or join some job related groups and see how many people are posting jobs for Singapore location. For US location there are abundance of jobs. May be this trend is dominant in the IT sector. But I dont think other sectors are a whole lot better.

I think Linked In works best when you really dont need a job but you are in a senior role and a headhunter cant find that kind of profile in job sites and then they head hunt you in linked in.