Singapore Expats Forum

Singtel network in India?

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6837
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Singtel network in India?

Postby zzm9980 » Thu, 16 Aug 2012 12:01 am

I had the strangest thing happen to me today:

Image

Yes, I'm in India, and it thinks I'm on Singtel. No, I did not just arrive and turn my phone on. In fact, it's been back and forth between this 'Singtel' and Aircell all day. Quite odd. It's only happening down here at TRV. I didn't see it in Hyderabad or Bangalore.

Is Singtel building out a network here? Or is this some strange bug with my phone/SIM?

Darthcoder
Regular
Regular
Posts: 84
Joined: Fri, 27 Jan 2012
Location: Boon Keng

Postby Darthcoder » Thu, 16 Aug 2012 11:13 am

I get Singtel Roaming in Hyderabad. I believe they have a tie-up with Airtel in the South/Hyderabad region. Interesting to see that you had Aircel on it in Trivandrum. I thought Airtel and Singtel were partners throughout India :?
I am back I am back I am back I am back You know I am back. Everybody stand up!

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34663
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 16 Aug 2012 11:28 am

Can telecom waves travel much the same as old Radio AM waves could do? I remember back in the 60's & 70's we could get WLS in Chicago all over the US at night as it would bounce of the upper atmosphere thereby enabling it to travel further than it could in a straight line.

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Thu, 16 Aug 2012 11:43 am

Probably just Aircell reminding roamers they're on Singtel in Singapore. I think my phone was said just "Starhub" in D.C. at one point.

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6837
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Thu, 16 Aug 2012 1:54 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Can telecom waves travel much the same as old Radio AM waves could do? I remember back in the 60's & 70's we could get WLS in Chicago all over the US at night as it would bounce of the upper atmosphere thereby enabling it to travel further than it could in a straight line.


No, that's a property of the wavelength used by AM radio. Modern digital cellular is at the (Relatively) other end of the RF spectrum.

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6837
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Thu, 16 Aug 2012 2:09 pm

Darthcoder wrote:I get Singtel Roaming in Hyderabad. I believe they have a tie-up with Airtel in the South/Hyderabad region. Interesting to see that you had Aircel on it in Trivandrum. I thought Airtel and Singtel were partners throughout India :?


I didn't see this at all in Hyderabad though. I still have a few more places to visit, I'll monitor and see what happens.

User avatar
Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1789
Joined: Sat, 19 Jun 2004
Location: Kinto Pino

Postby Mi Amigo » Thu, 16 Aug 2012 2:25 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Can telecom waves travel much the same as old Radio AM waves could do? I remember back in the 60's & 70's we could get WLS in Chicago all over the US at night as it would bounce of the upper atmosphere thereby enabling it to travel further than it could in a straight line.

SMS, better get a tin foil hat, just to be on the safe side :P
Be careful what you wish for

Darthcoder
Regular
Regular
Posts: 84
Joined: Fri, 27 Jan 2012
Location: Boon Keng

Postby Darthcoder » Thu, 16 Aug 2012 10:03 pm

On a different note. Zzm did you have Biryani in Hyderabad? We pride ourselves on having the best Biryani in the world :D.
I am back I am back I am back I am back You know I am back. Everybody stand up!

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6837
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Thu, 16 Aug 2012 11:46 pm

Darthcoder wrote:On a different note. Zzm did you have Biryani in Hyderabad? We pride ourselves on having the best Biryani in the world :D.


No, except TRV, I've only had time to shuttle between hotels and incompetent vendors :(

andrealeong4
Member
Member
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri, 30 Nov 2012

Postby andrealeong4 » Thu, 13 Dec 2012 4:36 pm

Ur on roaming, id advise you to change sim immediately otherwise they might charge u a big amount unnecessarily.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34663
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 13 Dec 2012 5:03 pm

andrealeong4 wrote:Ur on roaming, id advise you to change sim immediately otherwise they might charge u a big amount unnecessarily.


You mean like that poor dude who got whacked for 350K for a two week trip to Taiwan! :o

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6837
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Thu, 13 Dec 2012 10:48 pm

andrealeong4 wrote:Ur on roaming, id advise you to change sim immediately otherwise they might charge u a big amount unnecessarily.


I know I was roaming, that was intentional.

Anyway, the mystery was solved, I forgot to update it. As explained to me: Simplifying things, Various cell networks have network IDs. The SIM card maps names to network ids in some cases, and for whatever reason my SIM mapped this network to Singtel. Either Singtel freak up, or the carrier in India freak up and was using the wrong ID. Both are equally likely imo.

User avatar
rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2810
Joined: Sat, 24 Nov 2012
Location: Singapore

Postby rajagainstthemachine » Sun, 16 Dec 2012 3:27 pm

Pro tip1: singtel owns a percentage stake in Airtel

Pro tip2: sometimes on roaming the home network name doesn't go away.
I've seen the M1 network while I was in the USA, doesn't quite mean a gsm tower from singapore fell off and floated near USA did it? :P

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6837
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Sun, 16 Dec 2012 9:52 pm

rajagainstthemachine wrote:Pro tip1: singtel owns a percentage stake in Airtel

Pro tip2: sometimes on roaming the home network name doesn't go away.
I've seen the M1 network while I was in the USA, doesn't quite mean a gsm tower from singapore fell off and floated near USA did it? :P


Pro Tip 1: I was aware
Pro Tip 2: Due to knowledge of Pro Tip 1, I thought maybe they were changing their branding? I never thought it was actually the same Singtel Network all the way in India... They can't even cover Marine Parade well enough to keep me from roaming to Telkomsel half the time :P

User avatar
rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2810
Joined: Sat, 24 Nov 2012
Location: Singapore

Postby rajagainstthemachine » Sun, 16 Dec 2012 10:39 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
rajagainstthemachine wrote:Pro tip1: singtel owns a percentage stake in Airtel

Pro tip2: sometimes on roaming the home network name doesn't go away.
I've seen the M1 network while I was in the USA, doesn't quite mean a gsm tower from singapore fell off and floated near USA did it? :P


Pro Tip 1: I was aware
Pro Tip 2: Due to knowledge of Pro Tip 1, I thought maybe they were changing their branding? I never thought it was actually the same Singtel Network all the way in India... They can't even cover Marine Parade well enough to keep me from roaming to Telkomsel half the time :P


alrite fair enuff.. seems legit.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Computer, Internet, Phone & Electronics”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests