Singapore Expats

Didn't Do NS - Changed Name, Any Help?

A moderated forum for serious discussions only.
v4jr4
Reporter
Reporter

Post by v4jr4 » Fri, 17 Aug 2012 5:15 pm

halfpast5 wrote:
v4jr4 wrote: With possibility of caning? *ouch*
Seriously? Caning for scenarios like mine? That just takes the biscuit.
Wait2. Let me get this straight. It's still unclear what will be the risk if you step in Singapore. Caning is only for serious issues. There was a guy said to me (I don't know if he's joking) that by avoiding national service, jail will be the first place, and hopefully, without caning.

I found an article about this. It doesn't mention anything about caning.

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Fri, 17 Aug 2012 5:31 pm

How's caning worse than two years jail (or so)?
Deserting IS a serious issue in the eyes of the government.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 17 Aug 2012 5:34 pm

First of all, take anything Gopalan Nair writes with a grain of salt.

Secondly, most of the fodder following the post there seems to be about coming back to Singapore on a foreign passport and what right would Singapore have in arresting said foreigner.

For the record, when looking at citizenship, always, your citizenship of birth will take precedence over a naturalized citizenship. Additionally, if you are breaking the law by not having renounced your citizenship in Singapore legally, whether or not you have a Singapore Passport is immaterial.

As far as caning is concerned, I think that comment was made tongue-in-cheek. But the jail time and subsequent doing of NS and then expulsion from the country and revocation of your citizenship at that point is probably fact.

It's a gamble you may well win. But the penalties if you loose may be rather stiff. And with the new combined databases and face recognition software, it would only depend on the alertness of the office at the immigration counter.

Good luck on whatever you decide to do.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

v4jr4
Reporter
Reporter

Post by v4jr4 » Fri, 17 Aug 2012 5:56 pm

In short, the risk of avoiding National Service may vary? :shock:

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 17 Aug 2012 9:02 pm

Or, as I said in other posts of a similar nature......

In the now famous words of Clint Eastwood in Dirty Harry: "You've got to ask yourself one question......Do I feel lucky?" "Well, do you, punk?" :cool:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

sensei_
Chatter
Chatter

Post by sensei_ » Fri, 17 Aug 2012 9:17 pm

beppi wrote:Deserting IS a serious issue in the eyes of the government.
And so it should be. How is a country meant to protect themselves if the military is taken as a joke.

Honestly to the OP, I have seen another mate of mine (ex-singaporean) run away from NS, and have subsequently got a new passport (Indonesian). However he can only go to Singapore via Indonesia, as the passport was not allowed to be used originating from any other country.

For what its worth, he had to pay USD60k for said passport to enter Singapore *safely*. Based on what he said, he was more nervous than a kiddy fiddler at a kindergarten.

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Sat, 18 Aug 2012 6:41 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:First of all, take anything Gopalan Nair writes with a grain of salt.

Secondly, most of the fodder following the post there seems to be about coming back to Singapore on a foreign passport and what right would Singapore have in arresting said foreigner.

For the record, when looking at citizenship, always, your citizenship of birth will take precedence over a naturalized citizenship. Additionally, if you are breaking the law by not having renounced your citizenship in Singapore legally, whether or not you have a Singapore Passport is immaterial.

As far as caning is concerned, I think that comment was made tongue-in-cheek. But the jail time and subsequent doing of NS and then expulsion from the country and revocation of your citizenship at that point is probably fact.

It's a gamble you may well win. But the penalties if you loose may be rather stiff. And with the new combined databases and face recognition software, it would only depend on the alertness of the office at the immigration counter.

Australia SPECIFICALLY warns dual citizens of this fact in the Aussie PP application - that having Australian citizenship will not prevent your birth country from enforcing mandatory military service requirements.

v4jr4
Reporter
Reporter

Post by v4jr4 » Sat, 18 Aug 2012 10:12 pm

offshoreoildude wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:First of all, take anything Gopalan Nair writes with a grain of salt.

Australia SPECIFICALLY warns dual citizens of this fact in the Aussie PP application - that having Australian citizenship will not prevent your birth country from enforcing mandatory military service requirements.
I assume there are some Singaporeans who run to Australia only to avoid NS.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 18 Aug 2012 10:24 pm

Yep.