Singapore Expats

Cost of Living Comparison

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
Hylena

Post by Hylena » Tue, 14 Oct 2014 7:50 am

In retrospect, in this age of web apps, APIs and big data, I don't really see a compelling reason for web-shared excel file wherein you have to rely on other people to put their data in* instead of websites that scrape data for you already.

*one could, of course have scripts to scrape the data for you. But really? Excel? What's this; the late 90s where worms and virii spread via MSOffice attachments?!
Hey, I'm the one post the spreadsheet link.

Yes, there's apps, APIs and and online calculator with limited capabilities. But i have use this spreadsheet and its produce a full fledge report unlike those tiny miny 'apps' or online API calculator.

All online cost of living calculator are for the 'average' expat, meaning they assume someone from the West spending pattern is not much difference from someone the East. It's misleading. Expat spending patterns are big difference based on nationality, family, status etc.

I have used this spreadsheet and its calculate based from your own spending unique pattern and produce a 7-page report of your cost of living and a salary comparative analysis report.

Unless you are the one that used to calculate heavy-task calculation on tiny miny apps instead of spreadsheet. If that so, keep using your apps for your word prosessing and spreadsheet works. That's 2014 way of work right? Me from the 90's. LOL..

Funny, i honestly try to share something useful and help but people here seems too 'clever'. I have shared this spreadsheet in other forums and interestingly they all enjoy using it and find it much more useful than those tiny miny apps.

Good luck.

p/s : i believe this post may be deleted as well. Apparently some people are too 'clever' and others follow without thinking. :)
Last edited by Hylena on Tue, 14 Oct 2014 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Tue, 14 Oct 2014 8:02 am

Hylena wrote:
In retrospect, in this age of web apps, APIs and big data, I don't really see a compelling reason for web-shared excel file wherein you have to rely on other people to put their data in* instead of websites that scrape data for you already.

*one could, of course have scripts to scrape the data for you. But really? Excel? What's this; the late 90s where worms and virii spread via MSOffice attachments?!
Hey, I'm the one post the spreadsheet link.

Yes, there's apps, APIs and and online calculator with limited capabilities. But i have use this spreadsheet and its produce a full fledge report unlike those tiny miny 'apps' or online API calculator.

All online cost of living calculator are for the 'average' expat, meaning they assume someone from the West spending pattern is not much difference from someone the East. It's misleading. Expat spending patterns are big difference based on nationality, family, status etc.

I have used this spreadsheet and its calculate based from your own spending unique pattern and produce a 7-page report of your cost of living and a salary comparative analysis report.

Unless you are the one that used to calculate heavy calculation on tiny miny apps instead of spreadsheet.

Funny, i honestly try to share and help but people here seems too 'clever'.

If that so, keep using your apps for your word prosessing and spreadsheet works. That's 2014 way of work right? Me from the 90's. Clever...

Good luck.
It's your first post and it contained a link known to be used to deliver malicious payloads. We've had too many people who were "only trying to be helpful" but had vested interests--someone selling a service or product, flogging a website or startup and even just plain scammers.

Sorry, but the burden of proof that you will not spam or spread something is on you.

"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

danielhh

Re:

Post by danielhh » Tue, 04 Nov 2014 9:47 am

livefrommanila wrote:When Comparing Manila and Singapore, the numbers are unfortunately way off in some categories for Manila (meaning stated to cheap compared to reality):

For Example:

Basic (Electricity, Heating, Water, Garbage) for 85m2 Apartment
Manila 4,398.17 ₱ Singapore 7,295.28 ₱

I pay more then the stated amount of 4398 Pesos in the Philippines for electricity alone, in fact, electricity in the Philippines is more expensive then in Singapore.

1 Pair of Jeans (Levis 501 Or Similar)
Manila 2,638.55 ₱ Singapore 4,333.65 ₱

Have yet to find an ORIGINAL Levis 501 for less then 4k in Manila

On the Groceries it is quite accurate though.

Rent Prices are again not really that accurate, it is really reflecting the low end properties in Manila at that prices, for something that you can live in you will also pay a lot more in Manila.

I am being relocated by my Company to Singapore after 3 years in Manila so I did quite some research in the past weeks in this regards. I can not fully comment on the Singapore prices, but surely know the Manila prices.

But all in all the site is a good start and gives you some basic ideas though you can not really count on accuracy.
i was living in the PH for 7 years and have to agree 100% . Electricity and REAL jeans are expensive

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Cost of Living Comparison

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 03 Jan 2015 10:25 am

Latest numbers from Numbeo......

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/rankings.jsp
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 10 Mar 2015 10:09 pm

lora04 wrote:...
'Restaurants: Cost of eating out in Singapore
Average cost: 'Domestic Beer (0.5 litre draught): 3.71 €
'

=Or S$5.50.
More like S$15+ in actuality.

'Rent apartment (1 bedroom) in City Centre: 1,991.99 €'
Or S$3k. You have the issue of very very few 1-bed units, but the figure seems low anyway.

'Low taxes, good air quality...'

:o

I think you might use this table, and then a couple of others too. Perhaps the resulting triangulation might get somewhere near the realistic figures.
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Mon, 23 Mar 2015 9:23 pm

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/co ... 2=Selangor

This is pretty accurate, except, where the heck do these people buy their eggs??? :???: :???:
nutnut

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 23 Mar 2015 10:43 pm

nutnut wrote:http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/co ... 2=Selangor

This is pretty accurate, except, where the heck do these people buy their eggs??? :???: :???:
My local eggs cost me 8.50 for 24 eggs at the wet market. Granted they weigh a minimum of 90 ~105gms each.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 02 Jul 2015 12:22 pm

Mid-year 2015 Numbeo COL worldwide index now out...

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/

The Ref
Chatter
Chatter

Post by The Ref » Thu, 02 Jul 2015 12:40 pm

Any link for this that doesn't require logging into Yahoo?
That's a bit of a 90's way to do things unless it is a paywall.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Thu, 02 Jul 2015 12:48 pm

The Ref wrote:Any link for this that doesn't require logging into Yahoo?
Nah...SMS is just hypertasking and ended up pasting his yahoo mail URL.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 02 Jul 2015 9:00 pm

The Ref wrote:Any link for this that doesn't require logging into Yahoo?
http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/rankings.jsp

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 02 Jul 2015 11:31 pm

Nak, guess that's what happens when you have five programs running on two monitors and 7 tabs in chrome as well. The past couple of days have been pretty rough! Up to my arse in alligators and it's difficult to remember my objective was to drain the swamp! Thanks for the head up although a number of hours late!

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 03 Jul 2015 6:40 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Nak, guess that's what happens when you have five programs running on two monitors and 7 tabs in chrome as well. The past couple of days have been pretty rough! Up to my arse in alligators and it's difficult to remember my objective was to drain the swamp! Thanks for the head up although a number of hours late!
Bah. I got three active monitors. :cool:

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 03 Jul 2015 6:47 am

Yeah, but I'm not an IT person. :-(

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 06 Jan 2016 11:01 am

Here is the link to the 2016 Numbeo cost of living index.

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/ra ... ountry.jsp