Singapore Expats Forum

Internet in my Serviced Apartment too slow, any suggestions?

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
satoruster
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat, 11 Aug 2012
Location: Singapore

Internet in my Serviced Apartment too slow, any suggestions?

Postby satoruster » Sat, 11 Aug 2012 10:38 pm

I've just moved to Singapore and am now staying at a Serviced Apartment until I find a permanent place to live, but the Internet (Docomo or StarHub) here is too slow that I can't even watch YouTube or join Video Conference at night from this apartment.

Would getting a Wifi router be the best next option? Any suggestions would be very much appreciated!

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Sat, 11 Aug 2012 10:52 pm

You can't do anything, really. The Serviced Apartment either doesn't really have a fast connection in the first place or there's too many of you sharing bandwidth.

You can probably get a mobile connection of your own for data or maybe buy a prepaid card to stave you off until you've stabilized and decide on something more permanent.

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6841
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Sat, 11 Aug 2012 11:07 pm

nakatago wrote:You can probably get a mobile connection of your own for data or maybe buy a prepaid card to stave you off until you've stabilized and decide on something more permanent.


But don't expect much from that either; see a billion other threads in this sub-forum griping about the terrible mobile data networks here.

satoruster
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat, 11 Aug 2012
Location: Singapore

Postby satoruster » Sat, 11 Aug 2012 11:14 pm

Thanks for your quick replies! I just tried with my Japanese Docomo SIM through StarHub with my NexusOne and found it's much faster than the connection here in this Serviced Apartment. At least, I could watch YouTube :)

As a short term solution, maybe I should only get a prepaid SIM at StarHub for $32? http://www.starhub.com/content/broadban ... epaid.html

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6841
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Sun, 12 Aug 2012 9:18 am

satoruster wrote:Thanks for your quick replies! I just tried with my Japanese Docomo SIM through StarHub with my NexusOne and found it's much faster than the connection here in this Serviced Apartment. At least, I could watch YouTube :)

As a short term solution, maybe I should only get a prepaid SIM at StarHub for $32? http://www.starhub.com/content/broadban ... epaid.html


Yes, that is what you should do ASAP. You're probably paying roaming data rates right now if you're using that Docomo SIM here!

Also I'd suggest testing the connection in any other location you plan to use it. Each network is quite picky on where and when it works. I had bad luck with Starhub in the places I needed it. But if you're satisfied with the connection you get in your apt, great. Just make sure anywhere else you might want to use it is good too.

satoruster
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat, 11 Aug 2012
Location: Singapore

Postby satoruster » Sun, 12 Aug 2012 9:27 am

Thanks for your reply! Yes, Docomo offers "Kaigai Pake-hodai" which gives you unlimited data service for 2,980 JPY at max/day. Not cheap, but it had been useful as far as I was visiting Singapore, but not anymore :) Thanks for your input! Much appreciated :)

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Sun, 12 Aug 2012 10:27 am

zzm9980 wrote:
nakatago wrote:You can probably get a mobile connection of your own for data or maybe buy a prepaid card to stave you off until you've stabilized and decide on something more permanent.


But don't expect much from that either; see a billion other threads in this sub-forum griping about the terrible mobile data networks here.


But amazingly, Starhub prepaid Data >>> M1 Data postpaid plan :x :x :x

robotcake
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri, 24 Aug 2012
Location: Singapore

Postby robotcake » Fri, 24 Aug 2012 11:33 am

nakatago wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:
nakatago wrote:You can probably get a mobile connection of your own for data or maybe buy a prepaid card to stave you off until you've stabilized and decide on something more permanent.


But don't expect much from that either; see a billion other threads in this sub-forum griping about the terrible mobile data networks here.


But amazingly, Starhub prepaid Data >>> M1 Data postpaid plan :x :x :x


Eh? What's up with the M1 Data postpaid plan? I don't use either so I have no idea..
The only problem with life, is that there's no background music.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Computer, Internet, Phone & Electronics”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest