Singapore Expats

Living expenses in singapore

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
JayCee
Reporter
Reporter

Re: Living expenses in singapore

Post by JayCee » Tue, 02 Oct 2012 5:19 pm

Zephyr82 wrote: International school can easily cost between S$8,000 to S$12,000 per year.
And the rest!

Cheapest International School I've heard of charges $15k a year (IIS at Clementi) and that's because they're basically inside a shopping mall, any decent ones are $25k+
I HAVE MASTERS!

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Wed, 03 Oct 2012 9:57 am

JayCee wrote:
Zephyr82 wrote: International school can easily cost between S$8,000 to S$12,000 per year.
And the rest!

Cheapest International School I've heard of charges $15k a year (IIS at Clementi) and that's because they're basically inside a shopping mall, any decent ones are $25k+
If you're a missoinary or pastor's family you can get a discount at ICS that pulls it down substantially.
Now I'm called PNGMK

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 03 Oct 2012 11:48 am

And please point me to the International Schools that are only $8-12k/year. Maybe you meant per term.

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Wed, 03 Oct 2012 12:49 pm

JayCee wrote:
And the rest!

The expensive ones are $25K+ you mean!?!?!? Doesn't make them better than the ones at $20K...
nutnut

Remo909

Post by Remo909 » Mon, 08 Oct 2012 6:53 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote: Local Schools cost for international students for 2013 will be between $363/mo for primary students (ASEAN) up to $670/mo for Secondary students (Non-ASEAN)

http://www.moe.gov.sg/education/admissi ... eral-info/
Hello all,

I have been trolling this forum for the past 2 days and absorbing everyones opinions (some quite colourful, some very helpful and others down right disrespectful) about the schools in Singapore.
I have a three questions that I would like to ask. Firstly, is it because the majority of companies in Singapore subsidise education for their international employees the reason for the high costs. The above posted website is different from what I have found (schools ranging around the 25-35 K a year). Secondly, as someone that is going to be going to Singapore self funded, how does that affect the kids schooling. I read that unless I am sponsored (I am assuming by a company and not the University) that the kids will not be looked at. Finally, I was referred to a company by the name of NCompass, has anyone had any experience with these people.

Any input would be highly regarded.

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter

Post by JayCee » Mon, 08 Oct 2012 8:59 pm

nutnut wrote:
JayCee wrote:
And the rest!

The expensive ones are $25K+ you mean!?!?!? Doesn't make them better than the ones at $20K...
I never said it did.

However, if I'm paying thousands of dollars a year for a school, I'd expect it to at least have a playground for the kids to play in, not be a unit inside a mall.

And 25K a year is not even on the expensive side, look at the fees charged by the American schools and some others.
I HAVE MASTERS!

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Tue, 09 Oct 2012 9:39 am

Remo909 wrote:
Hello all,

I have been trolling this forum for the past 2 days and absorbing everyones opinions (some quite colourful, some very helpful and others down right disrespectful) about the schools in Singapore.

That's not really the way to get questions answered from your first post on a board, but.......

Less companies these days 'sponsor' kids at International Schools but it is still common. This is not the reason they are expensive, though, given the number of overseas teachers in the schools and the expenses they too must have. International Schools are relatively very expensive all over the world.

Sponsored or not, if you have the money the schools will look at your kids. It's all just dollars and cents........if they have space.
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Tue, 09 Oct 2012 10:15 am

Remo909 wrote: Hello all,

I have been trawling this forum for the past 2 days and absorbing everyones opinions .
FTFY
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Tue, 09 Oct 2012 8:36 pm

International Schools are a cash cow. Just look up who the most recent investor in CIS is and you'll see what I see and perhaps work out what I think.

As my former drug detective ex boss once said (he of the OT mafia claim fame); 'I wonder if they are really there for the school business; or just to launder money?'
Now I'm called PNGMK

movingtospore
Reporter
Reporter

Post by movingtospore » Wed, 10 Oct 2012 6:25 pm

offshoreoildude wrote:International Schools are a cash cow. Just look up who the most recent investor in CIS is and you'll see what I see and perhaps work out what I think.

As my former drug detective ex boss once said (he of the OT mafia claim fame); 'I wonder if they are really there for the school business; or just to launder money?'
And often of questionable quality, with no governance or accountability to anybody but their profit-seeking shareholder.