Our first National Day in Singapore...what should we do?

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
Post Reply
User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6865
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011 1:35 pm
Location: Once more unto the breach

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 08 Aug 2012 12:18 pm

v4jr4 wrote: Hmmm... I thought that the bridge to Merlion, esplanade (open area above the library), or Starbucks around the Merlion Park will be the favorite spot to do this. Time to try another spots then :lol:
Yes, favorite for you and tens of thousands of others who had the same thoughts. :)

User avatar
v4jr4
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 887
Joined: Mon, 09 Jul 2012 11:28 am
Location: Chocolate Factory

Post by v4jr4 » Wed, 08 Aug 2012 12:18 pm

sensei_ wrote:and i'd rather be dead than living in a HDB. the space constraint is enough to kill me already.
Aw, come on. It's not that bad. Or perhaps, you need to visit some "third world countries" :P

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 39562
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 10
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 08 Aug 2012 12:25 pm

sensei_ wrote:
the lynx wrote:Oh come on, it is just fun!
i hope that isnt a reason to get pissed (drunk) like some of the aussies when its australia day. :D
Since when does an aussie need an event/holiday to get pissed! :lol:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

User avatar
v4jr4
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 887
Joined: Mon, 09 Jul 2012 11:28 am
Location: Chocolate Factory

Post by v4jr4 » Wed, 08 Aug 2012 12:35 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
v4jr4 wrote: Hmmm... I thought that the bridge to Merlion, esplanade (open area above the library), or Starbucks around the Merlion Park will be the favorite spot to do this. Time to try another spots then :lol:
Yes, favorite for you and tens of thousands of others who had the same thoughts. :)
*ouch* :lol:

sensei_
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 232
Joined: Sun, 31 Jul 2011 12:11 pm
Location: Perth, Australia

Post by sensei_ » Wed, 08 Aug 2012 12:46 pm

v4jr4 wrote:Aw, come on. It's not that bad. Or perhaps, you need to visit some "third world countries" :P
not that bad? living in a shoebox isnt that bad? anyone who can live in 30sqm apartments have a loose screw up there.
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Since when does an aussie need an event/holiday to get pissed! :lol:
too many already pissed during the day for no reason other than the sun is good?

User avatar
v4jr4
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 887
Joined: Mon, 09 Jul 2012 11:28 am
Location: Chocolate Factory

Post by v4jr4 » Wed, 08 Aug 2012 12:49 pm

sensei_ wrote:
v4jr4 wrote:Aw, come on. It's not that bad. Or perhaps, you need to visit some "third world countries" :P
not that bad? living in a shoebox isnt that bad? anyone who can live in 30sqm apartments have a loose screw up there.
Imagine a smaller shoebox. I've seen that in Jakarta, and I assume you'll kena choke once you see it :P

sensei_
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 232
Joined: Sun, 31 Jul 2011 12:11 pm
Location: Perth, Australia

Post by sensei_ » Wed, 08 Aug 2012 2:03 pm

at what point is too small? surely there has to be a physical limit as to how small apartments can be before they are more properly renamed to "prison cells".

i have a couple of good friends living in jakarta luckily after having lived on landed properties, they have not bought silly apartments yet :P

User avatar
v4jr4
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 887
Joined: Mon, 09 Jul 2012 11:28 am
Location: Chocolate Factory

Post by v4jr4 » Wed, 08 Aug 2012 2:09 pm

sensei_ wrote:at what point is too small? surely there has to be a physical limit as to how small apartments can be before they are more properly renamed to "prison cells".

i have a couple of good friends living in jakarta luckily after having lived on landed properties, they have not bought silly apartments yet :P
Well, in that case, Jakarta has a lot of "prison cells" :lol:
And at Jakarta, landed properties are better compared to apartments :D

sensei_
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 232
Joined: Sun, 31 Jul 2011 12:11 pm
Location: Perth, Australia

Post by sensei_ » Wed, 08 Aug 2012 6:18 pm

v4jr4 wrote:Well, in that case, Jakarta has a lot of "prison cells" :lol:
And at Jakarta, landed properties are better compared to apartments :D
there are apartments there smaller than 30sqm? :shock: got to take alot of creative thinking to maximise all the space in there.

User avatar
v4jr4
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 887
Joined: Mon, 09 Jul 2012 11:28 am
Location: Chocolate Factory

Post by v4jr4 » Wed, 08 Aug 2012 6:31 pm

sensei_ wrote:
v4jr4 wrote:Well, in that case, Jakarta has a lot of "prison cells" :lol:
And at Jakarta, landed properties are better compared to apartments :D
there are apartments there smaller than 30sqm? :shock: got to take alot of creative thinking to maximise all the space in there.
There are some landed houses with only 21 sqm. But, well, it's for the less fortunate people.

beppi
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1752
Joined: Thu, 07 Sep 2006 11:15 am
Location: Ahlongistan (O$P$)

Post by beppi » Wed, 08 Aug 2012 7:54 pm

"Tipe 21" (with 21 sqm) is the smallest standard size in Indonesia's low-cost housing projects. These are landed (usually terrace) houses with two or three rooms plus bath (but generally no kitchen).
I once bought two adjacent "Tipe 28" in Batam and, to make it (barely) liveable, connected them internally and added a kitchen extension at the back (resulting in a remaining "garden" of only approx. 9 sqm).
But in the neighbourhood whole families with several kids and grandparents were living in one "Tipe 21"! They did not have "a loose screw", just a less fortunate life. Most were lovely people and valued whatever little they had. A "Tipe 21" at that time costed below S$5000.

User avatar
v4jr4
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 887
Joined: Mon, 09 Jul 2012 11:28 am
Location: Chocolate Factory

Post by v4jr4 » Wed, 08 Aug 2012 8:54 pm

beppi wrote:"Tipe 21" (with 21 sqm) is the smallest standard size in Indonesia's low-cost housing projects. These are landed (usually terrace) houses with two or three rooms plus bath (but generally no kitchen).
I once bought two adjacent "Tipe 28" in Batam and, to make it (barely) liveable, connected them internally and added a kitchen extension at the back (resulting in a remaining "garden" of only approx. 9 sqm).
But in the neighbourhood whole families with several kids and grandparents were living in one "Tipe 21"! They did not have "a loose screw", just a less fortunate life. Most were lovely people and valued whatever little they had. A "Tipe 21" at that time costed below S$5000.
Aha! My friend did the same thing: buy 2 "Tipe 21". But instead of connecting the house, he demolished both, and rebuild a new one. I was not digging the full details, but according to him, it's far much better :lol:

But Batam? Whoa.
Side question: are you from Jakarta? :P

beppi
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1752
Joined: Thu, 07 Sep 2006 11:15 am
Location: Ahlongistan (O$P$)

Post by beppi » Wed, 08 Aug 2012 9:01 pm

v4jr4 wrote:Side question: are you from Jakarta? :P
Me?
No, I'm German.
I worked in Batam during the 1997 crisis and became kind of a mascot as the only Bule (Indonesian for Ang Moh) there.
The houses have since been sold (at a loss).

(I have the slight feeling that this thread is going off-topic.)

User avatar
v4jr4
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 887
Joined: Mon, 09 Jul 2012 11:28 am
Location: Chocolate Factory

Post by v4jr4 » Wed, 08 Aug 2012 11:55 pm

beppi wrote:
v4jr4 wrote:Side question: are you from Jakarta? :P
Me?
No, I'm German.
I worked in Batam during the 1997 crisis and became kind of a mascot as the only Bule (Indonesian for Ang Moh) there.
The houses have since been sold (at a loss).

(I have the slight feeling that this thread is going off-topic.)
Ah, no wonder you know this "tipe 21".

Still, for Singaporeans and PR holders, museums are free for you guys during this month.

As for the others . . . #-o

User avatar
nutnut
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1854
Joined: Thu, 24 Nov 2011 10:20 am
Location: The Mainland....

Post by nutnut » Thu, 09 Aug 2012 11:34 am

sensei_ wrote:what i dont get is why you'd celebrate someone else's national day? it has no meaning whatsoever.
This will be the same reason the immigrants in Australia don't embrace the local customs too I guess?

As an immigrant to Singapore and having made it my home (for now) then I feel compelled to adopt some of their customs, celebrating the nations independence and what brought it to be what it is today is an important part of it in my honest opinion.

Do what you like yourself, as I am sure you will!
nutnut

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Staying, Living in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests