Singapore Expats Forum

Shame on you, San Francisco Coffee

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

CoffeeCustomer
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue, 07 Aug 2012

Shame on you, San Francisco Coffee

Postby CoffeeCustomer » Tue, 07 Aug 2012 9:55 pm

One of the best experiences I've had in my many years in Singapore has been my morning coffee shop visits to the Millenia Walk and Suntec San Francisco Coffee branches.

The people there are great - they remember your name, your coffee, are friendly, and are real (not like the robots at Starbucks who always smile while asking you to buy something else). It's a genuine pleasure to see them first thing in the morning. Plus the coffee, when made by the experienced baristas, is better the the other shops.

I have been a loyal customer for over 6 years - the only coffee I get is from there.

Well, that all ends tomorrow. The company, in their misguided thinking, decided it would be a good idea to fire all the experienced staff and replace them with rank beginners.

Penny-wise, dollar-foolish.

I had a coffee today from one of those beginners - it just wasn't up to the usual mark, nor did that person know me or my usual coffee selection or did he even have any semblance of personality.

With the connections I have with those people, I don't think I can honestly feel right about patronizing that place once they're gone.

All things must pass.

At least I'm spoiled for choices with all of the other coffee shops around.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Note I'm a regular poster posting under a different handle for this topic. If you don't believe me, or if you think I'm one of those people who will soon be no longer working there, PM me and I'll tell you for real.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34269
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 07 Aug 2012 11:03 pm

So if you are a regular, why don't you have the cojones to post with your normal nick? :???:

CoffeeCustomer
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue, 07 Aug 2012

Postby CoffeeCustomer » Tue, 07 Aug 2012 11:25 pm

So much for whatever compassion my post had.

If you recall, we had a poster who got sued a couple of years back, I think about a motorcycle part or service.

While I do have compassion for the people who work there, not so much as to risk a defamation suit.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34269
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 08 Aug 2012 12:06 am

'nuff said.

CoffeeCustomer
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue, 07 Aug 2012

Postby CoffeeCustomer » Wed, 08 Aug 2012 8:37 am

So having said all that, what about the general premise? - Should a company that puts emphasis on their people cut them wily-nily like this?

One one hand I know all too well about the realities of corporate existence, on the other, this just reeks of something repulsive. I say that as a customer, and maybe my reaction doesn't have to have a basis in understanding the realities of the business world. Or, maybe I'm just being silly and idealistic.

If you were a patron of the company, would you remain one?


From their website:
People. We employ almost 200 people, the vast majority of them degree or diploma holders or in school working towards that. They all have a few things in common -- bigger smiles, better pay, and better love for service. It's that simple.


http://www.sfcoffee.com/sfc/en/AboutUs/index

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9165
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Wed, 08 Aug 2012 8:50 am

CoffeeCustomer wrote:So much for whatever compassion my post had.

If you recall, we had a poster who got sued a couple of years back, I think about a motorcycle part or service.

While I do have compassion for the people who work there, not so much as to risk a defamation suit.

This will not protect you against this kind of actions.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Wed, 08 Aug 2012 9:57 am

CoffeeCustomer wrote:So having said all that, what about the general premise? - Should a company that puts emphasis on their people cut them wily-nily like this?

One one hand I know all too well about the realities of corporate existence, on the other, this just reeks of something repulsive. I say that as a customer, and maybe my reaction doesn't have to have a basis in understanding the realities of the business world. Or, maybe I'm just being silly and idealistic.

If you were a patron of the company, would you remain one?


From their website:
People. We employ almost 200 people, the vast majority of them degree or diploma holders or in school working towards that. They all have a few things in common -- bigger smiles, better pay, and better love for service. It's that simple.


Is there a reason for you taking this SO very personally? It seems more than a little unnatural.

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6837
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Wed, 08 Aug 2012 11:55 am

I find it funny with chains like this. San Francisco coffee? Really? They're even from San Francisco! Canadian Pizza is another one. Again, really? Canadian Poutine would be more like it. But Pizza? You do New York or Chicago Pizza. Not Canada... :roll:


Back to the original post though, your comment about Starbucks at least is spot on. It's a Singaporean thing though. Starbucks service is generally really good (with the occasional bad apple) everywhere I go. Even in Japan and China where they speak less English than I speak Chinese or Japanese, i have better and more enthusiastic service than here. In Singapore, the bad service is institutionalized. I just love how I can order a custom drink, very specifically, even in correct Starbucks-barrista lingo, and more than half the time I get a blank stare back and then they slowly say, "...Did you want the ice cube, or the ice blended one?" 'Did I order a frappuccino? No? Well I guess ice cubes then!'. /rant off

And I'm PMing OP to see who it is :cool:

User avatar
Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1767
Joined: Sat, 19 Jun 2004
Location: Kinto Pino

Postby Mi Amigo » Wed, 08 Aug 2012 1:05 pm

zzm9980 wrote:I find it funny with chains like this. San Francisco coffee? Really? They're even from San Francisco! Canadian Pizza is another one. Again, really? Canadian Poutine would be more like it. But Pizza? You do New York or Chicago Pizza. Not Canada... :roll:

Yeah, I found the whole 'Genuine Canadian Pizza' thing a bit strange as well when I moved here. And there was me thinking pizza was an Italian invention. :???:

Edit: But it seems I'm wrong and it was actually the Greekswhat did it first.
Be careful what you wish for

CoffeeCustomer
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue, 07 Aug 2012

Postby CoffeeCustomer » Wed, 08 Aug 2012 8:56 pm

SO very personally?

It really depends JR, if you insist on spinning it that way.

I don't know about taking anything personally, I do know that today I said goodbye to 10 people I could call friends who I've seen every weekday for over 5 years, who all lost their jobs at once and without warning, and who are understandably upset, having to look a stack of flyers on their counter that say "WE ARE HIRING! The place where real people serve........blah blah blah".

Perhaps that is perfectly natural for you.

JR8 wrote:Is there a reason for you taking this SO very personally? It seems more than a little unnatural.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Wed, 08 Aug 2012 9:06 pm

CoffeeCustomer wrote:Perhaps that is perfectly natural for you.


Yes it is, I spent 20 years on Wall Street.

User avatar
nutnut
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1850
Joined: Thu, 24 Nov 2011
Location: The Mainland....

Postby nutnut » Wed, 08 Aug 2012 9:57 pm

So my interpretation of this situation is that you don't like the fact they have sacked your mates, the coffee not being exactly the same would probably not be an issue if they hadn't sacked your friends right?

So in answer to your question, would I patronise a place when they sack my friends - probably not. If they sacked faceless staff - no problem.

Oh, and San Francisco in Millenia Walk has been closed for a month, due to lease expiring... I've never been to the Suntec one, there's no seats. ;)

As you say, you are spoilt for choice, vote with your feet, the Coffee Bean is not too bad in tower 3!

nut
nutnut

sensei_
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 232
Joined: Sun, 31 Jul 2011
Location: Perth, Australia

Postby sensei_ » Wed, 08 Aug 2012 10:18 pm

CoffeeCustomer wrote:I don't know about taking anything personally, I do know that today I said goodbye to 10 people I could call friends who I've seen every weekday for over 5 years, who all lost their jobs at once and without warning, and who are understandably upset, having to look a stack of flyers on their counter that say "WE ARE HIRING! The place where real people serve........blah blah blah".

Perhaps that is perfectly natural for you.


Welcome to the sad reality where everyone is expandable. No one is an asset, and the bottom line is all that counts.

CoffeeCustomer
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue, 07 Aug 2012

Postby CoffeeCustomer » Wed, 08 Aug 2012 10:21 pm

Kinda, but yeah, pretty sucky of them on the former, on the latter I wouldn't know, so probably no.

Am completely with you on your last two points.

And to zzm9980 "And I'm PMing OP to see who it is" well, based on what x9200 said, I'm less inclined to say so now.

nutnut wrote:So my interpretation of this situation is that you don't like the fact they have sacked your mates, the coffee not being exactly the same would probably not be an issue if they hadn't sacked your friends right?

So in answer to your question, would I patronise a place when they sack my friends - probably not. If they sacked faceless staff - no problem.

CoffeeCustomer
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue, 07 Aug 2012

Postby CoffeeCustomer » Wed, 08 Aug 2012 10:23 pm

One can spout painfully obvious platitudes or choose to do something about it like stop giving them business.

sensei_ wrote:Welcome to the sad reality where everyone is expandable. No one is an asset, and the bottom line is all that counts.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest