Singapore Expats

Accommodation Advice

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
Jon Snow

Accommodation Advice

Post by Jon Snow » Sun, 05 Aug 2012 5:33 pm

Hey guys

I know you guys answer this question many times a week but I have read most of the other threads , and if you have the time , would still like your advice here.

I'll be moving to Singapore later this year. The company that hired me is just setting up shop over there so as of now I have no idea where my office will be located. Hence I haven't been able to seek location specific advice.

I don't want to spend more than 1000-2000 SGD on rent. If I have to I can spend more , but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. Good thing is I don't intend to get a flat all to myself. About 18 of us will be moving to Singapore together, all recruited by the same company so we'll all be making the same money and we'll probably share flats at 2-3 persons to a flat.

So my question is how much do private apartments / HDB flats / condos rent out to ? Please tell me the approximate rents for both 2 bedroom and 3 bedroom varieties of the above. I understand rents depend on the location too , so I'll appreciate it if you give me the info for all kinds of locations.

Also I'm been reading great things about public transport. How great is it really ? Is it okay to live far from your office if you get a great apartment at good prices, will transport be too much of an issue in such a case ? Where I'm from (Kolkata, India ) a 1 hour commute is a given and as long as it is a comfortable journey ( which public transport here in Kolkata isn't ) I'm okay with it.

Finally on a slightly separate note say if for some reason I'm unable to adjust with any of my colleagues and I go out looking for a room share in a condo/flat etc on my own how available are they ? Which is more available - 2 bedroom flats ( sharing with 1 stranger) or 3 bedroom flats ( sharing with 2 strangers) ?

Sorry for typing up a wall of text but I'll really appreciate it if you take the time to help me out.

Cheers.

Search By

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Mon, 06 Aug 2012 5:14 am

Please do read some of the many posts about this topics that are posted (and answered) on this forum every week!

If three of you are contributing S$1000-2000 each, you'll have no problem finding a nice 3-bedroom place to share.
2-bedroom HDBs (government housing) cost S$1500-2500/month, 3-bedroom S$2000-3000.
2-bedroom condos (private housing, usually with amenities) start at S$3000, 3-bedroom ones at S$3500, with both price ranges open-ended.
Rental contracts are usually 2 years duration and cannot be terminated prematurely. Thus you might have problems getting out if you share a rent and later find out you're "unable to adjust".
Since Singapore is small, and the transport system relatively efficient, only the longest commutes take over an hour. Obviously, you should avoid living in Jurong when your office is near the airport, or vice versa!

Jon Snow

Post by Jon Snow » Mon, 06 Aug 2012 11:21 pm

beppi wrote:Please do read some of the many posts about this topics that are posted (and answered) on this forum every week!

If three of you are contributing S$1000-2000 each, you'll have no problem finding a nice 3-bedroom place to share.
2-bedroom HDBs (government housing) cost S$1500-2500/month, 3-bedroom S$2000-3000.
2-bedroom condos (private housing, usually with amenities) start at S$3000, 3-bedroom ones at S$3500, with both price ranges open-ended.
Rental contracts are usually 2 years duration and cannot be terminated prematurely. Thus you might have problems getting out if you share a rent and later find out you're "unable to adjust".
Since Singapore is small, and the transport system relatively efficient, only the longest commutes take over an hour. Obviously, you should avoid living in Jurong when your office is near the airport, or vice versa!
thanks beppi , i'm going through all the similar threads now.