Landlord Used Kitchen Knife To Intimidate/Threaten Tenant

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
Locked
jonive
Member
Member
Posts: 35
Joined: Thu, 02 Aug 2012 12:53 am

Landlord Used Kitchen Knife To Intimidate/Threaten Tenant

Post by jonive » Thu, 02 Aug 2012 2:52 am

I rented a master bedroom from a PRC couple. The wife is 33 years old and the husband is around 26 years old. They seemed nice at first so I took up the rent.

I noticed the room had no chair, stuck out Internet cable port, so I asked the Landlord to provide a computer chair and fix the cable port. I even wrote all that down onto the TA. The wife was reluctant at first, but we eventually signed the TA.

So I moved in and realized the cable point is not working with StarHub. After several technician visits, they told me I will have to get a brand new line for S$155.15 Sing Dollars. I informed the landlord saying that she needs to pay the charges. She got real mad and disagreed to the charges. I told her she's violating the TA.

Anyways, one night I was in the kitchen peeling potatoes. The kitchen is arranged in a way that I have no other place except their cutting board to peel the potatoes. The husband told me to peel the potato directly to the trash. I told them that I will clean up after cooking. He got mad and took a pack of hot dogs and a large kitchen knife. He aimed the knife at my stomach just 2 inch away and shouted at me. I told him to put the knife away or I’ll call the police. He dared me to do just that. So I did and the police came.

Now, after that incident, I have filed a small claim against them to return my deposit back, since they refused. The judge offered me the cable fee I paid for plus half of the deposit. His rational was that small claims do not deal with events that are criminal in nature.

I have also made a Magistrate’s Complaint 3 weeks ago. I obtained an update from the court, and they said a police investigation to obtain the husband’s name is underway and they will update me in 2 to 3 week.

You think what I am doing is correct? Am I being treated fairly? I know Singapore is not the rest of the world, but I wonder whether justice will be served in this island.

kikeo
Member
Member
Posts: 46
Joined: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 8:43 pm
Location: Jurong West

Post by kikeo » Tue, 07 Aug 2012 10:25 am

That's mad!!
I think you did right and I sincerely hope justice will be served.

User avatar
Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Posts: 3506
Joined: Thu, 03 Dec 2009 6:31 am
Answers: 1
Location: TIMBUKTU

Post by Mad Scientist » Tue, 07 Aug 2012 3:43 pm

Was he charged with assault to cause grievous hurt?
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

jonive
Member
Member
Posts: 35
Joined: Thu, 02 Aug 2012 12:53 am

Post by jonive » Wed, 08 Aug 2012 7:16 am

Mad Scientist wrote:Was he charged with assault to cause grievous hurt?
Nope, he was not charged with assault or attempted murder. It's amazing how Singapore police do not take action unless someone is seriously injured or dies.

Looks like holding a knife against someone is legal and goes unpunished in Singapore!!

x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9869
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009 4:06 pm
Location: Singapore

Post by x9200 » Wed, 08 Aug 2012 8:12 am

jonive wrote:
Mad Scientist wrote:Was he charged with assault to cause grievous hurt?
Nope, he was not charged with assault or attempted murder. It's amazing how Singapore police do not take action unless someone is seriously injured or dies.

Looks like holding a knife against someone is legal and goes unpunished in Singapore!!
If he has not admitted doing this then it was your word against his.

jonive
Member
Member
Posts: 35
Joined: Thu, 02 Aug 2012 12:53 am

Post by jonive » Wed, 08 Aug 2012 1:47 pm

x9200 wrote:
jonive wrote:
Mad Scientist wrote:Was he charged with assault to cause grievous hurt?
Nope, he was not charged with assault or attempted murder. It's amazing how Singapore police do not take action unless someone is seriously injured or dies.

Looks like holding a knife against someone is legal and goes unpunished in Singapore!!
If he has not admitted doing this then it was your word against his.
Of course he will not admit it. But, I know he did it to me.

x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9869
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009 4:06 pm
Location: Singapore

Post by x9200 » Wed, 08 Aug 2012 3:36 pm

jonive wrote:
x9200 wrote:
jonive wrote: Nope, he was not charged with assault or attempted murder. It's amazing how Singapore police do not take action unless someone is seriously injured or dies.

Looks like holding a knife against someone is legal and goes unpunished in Singapore!!
If he has not admitted doing this then it was your word against his.
Of course he will not admit it. But, I know he did it to me.
Sorry to ruin your expectations but this is hardly a proof for any police / court, not only in Singapore.

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9811
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 5:18 pm

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 08 Aug 2012 4:39 pm

x9200 wrote:
jonive wrote:
x9200 wrote: If he has not admitted doing this then it was your word against his.
Of course he will not admit it. But, I know he did it to me.
Sorry to ruin your expectations but this is hardly a proof for any police / court, not only in Singapore.
Which is why for threats and such - you need to file a magistrate's complaint ..

Now, if he had touched the accuser .. well, cops would have dealt it differently ..

One of the reasons i heard in a NPC is the cops were going it is "She Said", "I Said .. "

User avatar
Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Posts: 3506
Joined: Thu, 03 Dec 2009 6:31 am
Answers: 1
Location: TIMBUKTU

Post by Mad Scientist » Wed, 08 Aug 2012 5:00 pm

Magistrate' s complaint is just a note taking procedure of what took place to protect you from future altercation.
If you are scared sh*tless then file a PPO, this will definitely protect you and land him to jail within 1 metre or more
As long as no physical harm is done there is nothing the police can do. I disagree on your assumption of the police here of putting their hands at the back. First of all holding a knife in one's compound is not illegal. Secondly, no harm was done on yourself. Thirdly, no witness to this incident. Lastly, it is a matter of interpretation.
How would a policeman comes to a conclusion that you have been threatened by this incident as there was no proof to begin with?
Hence it all boils down to finger pointing.
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9811
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 5:18 pm

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 08 Aug 2012 5:09 pm

Mad Scientist wrote:... First of all holding a knife in one's compound is not illegal. ....
You forgot the part that it was a kitchen knife, being held inside the kitchen :)

Oh, now, if the waved the knife at you at any other place, like outside the house or .. say, the person held a Gun, that's a different ball game,

jonive
Member
Member
Posts: 35
Joined: Thu, 02 Aug 2012 12:53 am

Post by jonive » Wed, 08 Aug 2012 7:54 pm

ecureilx wrote:
Mad Scientist wrote:... First of all holding a knife in one's compound is not illegal. ....
You forgot the part that it was a kitchen knife, being held inside the kitchen :)

Oh, now, if the waved the knife at you at any other place, like outside the house or .. say, the person held a Gun, that's a different ball game,
Now I get it, so one is allowed to threaten someone's life with a large kitchen knife IN THE KITCHEN without touching the victim? Even if it's a heated argument over potato peels? Wow!

That's amazing!

jonive
Member
Member
Posts: 35
Joined: Thu, 02 Aug 2012 12:53 am

Post by jonive » Wed, 08 Aug 2012 7:58 pm

Mad Scientist wrote:Magistrate' s complaint is just a note taking procedure of what took place to protect you from future altercation.
If you are scared sh*tless then file a PPO, this will definitely protect you and land him to jail within 1 metre or more
As long as no physical harm is done there is nothing the police can do. I disagree on your assumption of the police here of putting their hands at the back. First of all holding a knife in one's compound is not illegal. Secondly, no harm was done on yourself. Thirdly, no witness to this incident. Lastly, it is a matter of interpretation.
How would a policeman comes to a conclusion that you have been threatened by this incident as there was no proof to begin with?
Hence it all boils down to finger pointing.
Hmm, interesting.

So next time when I am in a heated argument in the kitchen, I will make sure no one's in the kitchen. I will grab a kitchen knife and start pointing it at his stomach. And when the police comes, I will say I did not touch the victim and everything would be perfectly fine.

I wonder if the same thing happened to you, would you be alright with it. I bet not.

jonive
Member
Member
Posts: 35
Joined: Thu, 02 Aug 2012 12:53 am

Post by jonive » Wed, 08 Aug 2012 7:59 pm

ecureilx wrote:
x9200 wrote:
jonive wrote: Of course he will not admit it. But, I know he did it to me.
Sorry to ruin your expectations but this is hardly a proof for any police / court, not only in Singapore.
Which is why for threats and such - you need to file a magistrate's complaint ..

Now, if he had touched the accuser .. well, cops would have dealt it differently ..

One of the reasons i heard in a NPC is the cops were going it is "She Said", "I Said .. "
That's exactly what I did. I filed a magistrate's complaint. The judge has directed the police to obtain his particulars. I have the letter from the court.

User avatar
Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Posts: 3506
Joined: Thu, 03 Dec 2009 6:31 am
Answers: 1
Location: TIMBUKTU

Post by Mad Scientist » Thu, 09 Aug 2012 2:26 am

jonive wrote:
ecureilx wrote: Now I get it, so one is allowed to threaten someone's life with a large kitchen knife IN THE KITCHEN without touching the victim? Even if it's a heated argument over potato peels? Wow!

That's amazing!
Now you beginning to sound like a broken record. I have worked with many Gahmen agencies and I am pretty well versed on the penal code and the Singapore Constitution.
Have you not heard "Innocent until proven guilty"
Anyway if you want to hang someone dry, there are many ways legally but feeling intimidated by heated argument which resulted in undesirable result does not do you any good one bit.
Lesson learned and move on
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

jonive
Member
Member
Posts: 35
Joined: Thu, 02 Aug 2012 12:53 am

Post by jonive » Fri, 10 Aug 2012 6:20 am

Mad Scientist wrote:
jonive wrote:
ecureilx wrote: Now I get it, so one is allowed to threaten someone's life with a large kitchen knife IN THE KITCHEN without touching the victim? Even if it's a heated argument over potato peels? Wow!

That's amazing!
Now you beginning to sound like a broken record. I have worked with many Gahmen agencies and I am pretty well versed on the penal code and the Singapore Constitution.
Have you not heard "Innocent until proven guilty"
Anyway if you want to hang someone dry, there are many ways legally but feeling intimidated by heated argument which resulted in undesirable result does not do you any good one bit.
Lesson learned and move on
Broken record? Where did you get that from? I never said I was intimidated by a heated argument. I was shocked by his behaviour with the knife over some stupid potato peel. Now, if you think it's okay in Singapore to point a knife at someone only two inches away from your stomach during a heated argument, you need to see a psychologist.

Something's not right with the way you see disputes.

Locked
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Staying, Living in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron