Singapore Expats Forum

New job as helpdesk at keppelfels at gull roadhy

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

Joanna _tan

New job as helpdesk at keppelfels at gull roadhy

Postby Joanna _tan » Tue, 31 Jul 2012 4:10 am

Hii i have an offer to work at keppelfels as a helpdesk at a place called pioneer road.
what salary should i say i expect as a minimum?
i am from malaysia btw and 26 .f
and currently i am renting a apartment in ang mo kio, does anyone know or can help me find out what time and where there is a transport direct to the company?
xie xie ni :???:

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 31 Jul 2012 6:48 am

Check with your HR at KepFels. They probably provide buses from selected points across the island so you don't have to make the journey yourself as it's a long one from AMK (probably 1.25 to 1.5 hours each way using public transport.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Postby zzm9980 » Tue, 31 Jul 2012 10:00 am

Yeah, if it is the place on Gul Road, that is extremely remote. There is a bus that goes there, but I wouldn't recommend it. As SMS said, quite far from AMK (from anywhere really), and the ones I saw were completely packed with foreign workers and non-AC'ed.

Joanna _tan

huh

Postby Joanna _tan » Tue, 31 Jul 2012 10:04 am

i just asking exactly whre is the pick up pint in amk and what time.. b4 i go for the interviewso that i wont wats emy time... heard work starts at 7.30 am and finishes at 4.30

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 31 Jul 2012 2:53 pm

Joanna, that is one of the questions you are going to have to ask at the interview. I don't know where/if there is a pickup bus. I was just saying most of the shipyards out on Pioneer & Gul Road usually provide a bus service at selected pickup points. You might have to take a feeder bus to the pickup point (if there is one). Please remember to find out this type of stuff at the interview BEFORE you sign the employment letter/contract.

If you think you only want a job on your terms and don't want to waste your time. Then, from an HR Manager's POV (Mine) please don't waste their time either. As a foreigner, you ought to be thankful that they are even giving you an interview at this point in time. Especially for an inside job.

sms

Joanna _tan

sms.

Postby Joanna _tan » Tue, 31 Jul 2012 10:25 pm

i think u fail as a hr person sms
u can go to forums like this during work time and read and post comments?
You should be sacked!
using work time to browse forums and giving non essintial work thus not producing work for your company
Singaporeans like u are why we are replacing and WILL REPLACE U!

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Re: sms.

Postby the lynx » Tue, 31 Jul 2012 10:45 pm

Error in post =___=
Last edited by the lynx on Tue, 31 Jul 2012 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Postby the lynx » Tue, 31 Jul 2012 10:46 pm

Joanna _tan wrote:i think u fail as a hr person sms
You should be sacked!
using work time to browse forums and giving non essintial work thus not producing work for your company

I don't understand why do you have to be offensive from your second post onwards here. SMS or zzm didn't say anything that deserve that attitude of yours. They are just being helpful by suggesting that perhaps your company offers direct shuttle for employees, which only you are able to ask from HR yourself. Otherwise you can also check with SBS or SMRT for possible bus routes (or use streetdirectory dot com or Google maps or even gothere dot sg for suggested routes).

And until someone who is really working from KepFels or nearby who is from AMK comes up here and offer advice, you have to make do with the best that we can offer up here.

And what if I tell you that SMS is not Singaporean, and is also another foreigner just like you and me? :twisted:

Better watch your entitlement attitude. Over there in SGForums, they are getting unhappy with foreigners.
Last edited by the lynx on Tue, 31 Jul 2012 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 31 Jul 2012 11:02 pm

Joanna and her attitude is why Singaporeans rightly have a grouse against foreign talent (and in her case, I use the term talent VERY loosely). She is one of those who work cheap and the employers try to take advantage of at the expense of a local. It's okay, though, I feel in her case (and I know the HR department well at KepFels as they used to be one of my clients when I was still headhunting) she might just as well not bothering to go for the interview as they will cotton to her attitude almost immediately. She wouldn't last 5 minutes in a interview with me.

She doesn't realize my boss, the MD and owner of the companies (4) encourages me to keep my foot in on this forum. He figures as long as I can manage both the Accounts AND the HR departments effectively, he could care less how much time I spend on the forum and/or face book.

the lynx
Governor
Governor

Re: New job as helpdesk at keppelfels at gull roadhy

Postby the lynx » Tue, 31 Jul 2012 11:32 pm

Joanna _tan wrote:Hii i have an offer to work at keppelfels as a helpdesk at a place called pioneer road.
what salary should i say i expect as a minimum?
i am from malaysia btw and 26 .f
and currently i am renting a apartment in ang mo kio, does anyone know or can help me find out what time and where there is a transport direct to the company?
xie xie ni :???:

I just remembered something. I actually work around Gul area and trust me, 90% of the companies all around Tuas, Jurong and Pioneer charter their own shuttle buses for employees that have various pick-up points from selected areas. You will still have to ask HR.

Actually your post is not clear to me, I'm not sure if you wanna find out how to get there for your interview or how to get there on regular basis. If interview, I suggest you just take a cab. The route from AMK is too long, too far and too complicated for you to take MRT followed by 257 from Boon Lay station for your interview.

If your question is for regular basis, SMS's and my advice still stands.

Oh for salary, this is pretty tough. For just mere helpdesk work (not helpdesk engineer etc), it depends on what visa they are applying for you: WP or SPass?

WP: Salary can go dirt cheap for maybe around 1,500SGD or even less per month only. Employers love this type of work visa but it is hard to get as MOM is trying to let locals to fill up these types of jobs instead.

SPass: It is more likely for your case but your minimum has to be 2000SGD, which to employers here, is too high. Info here http://www.mom.gov.sg/foreign-manpower/passes-visas/s-pass/before-you-apply/Pages/default.aspx

syamsulstar

Postby syamsulstar » Wed, 01 Aug 2012 2:04 pm

Joanna _tan wrote:i think u fail as a hr person sms
You should be sacked!

woo...I am shocked...why u gotta be so offensive. Anyway, I live in ang mo kio, and everyday I see 3-4 chartered buses on avenue 3 across the street from the train station. So maybe one of them belongs to the company you are interviewing for.

http://maps.google.com.sg/maps?q=1.3692 ... 19&iwloc=A

Next time please try to be a bit more respectful to others on the forum. I m also from Malaysia.

Good Luck!

iloverice
Regular
Regular

Postby iloverice » Wed, 01 Aug 2012 5:12 pm

To be honest, I totally amazed seeing how nice, patient and helpful SMS , zzm9980 and Lynx here, as the questions for me is something that really "special". I worked in Tuas area before, and I went for the interview using the public transport. Now I have to refrain myself to be sarcastic (which I find tough), really salute you, SMS and others.

I guess you still young? One advise from old aunty, in the future do not write such reply, especially at work. You could try to offend the local when you already work and we see how it goes.

edit: missed out - zzm9980

hanabie

Postby hanabie » Thu, 02 Aug 2012 2:39 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Joanna and her attitude is why Singaporeans rightly have a grouse against foreign talent (and in her case, I use the term talent VERY loosely). She is one of those who work cheap and the employers try to take advantage of at the expense of a local. It's okay, though, I feel in her case (and I know the HR department well at KepFels as they used to be one of my clients when I was still headhunting) she might just as well not bothering to go for the interview as they will cotton to her attitude almost immediately. She wouldn't last 5 minutes in a interview with me.

She doesn't realize my boss, the MD and owner of the companies (4) encourages me to keep my foot in on this forum. He figures as long as I can manage both the Accounts AND the HR departments effectively, he could care less how much time I spend on the forum and/or face book.

I must agree. Working hard does not mean how much time one must spend for the company. It is how you get the jobs done. Quality over quantity.
You work fast, and you impress your boss. You work extra, and it will probably go to your bonus. You don't do extra, the employer is still happy because you do excellent works. However, you spend hours long and get nothing. Things are getting nasty there.

At Joanna, do not compromise yourself too much. Do not let your employer taking advantages of you. If you are willing to do so, you should not be complaining in the first place.