Singapore Expats Forum

New in SG, just out of the 20s club, party my place on 8 Aug

Events and gatherings for the 20's Club
manan.sagar

New in SG, just out of the 20s club, party my place on 8 Aug

Postby manan.sagar » Mon, 30 Jul 2012 12:20 pm

Hi all
I have just got in from London last week, and would probably be in Singapore for the next 1-2 years.
I can see that there are a lot of people who want to meet and have fun, but not sure if anything has been organised.
So, will take the lead, and organise a party at my place (at the Marina Bay Residences) on 8th August.
I will not have any furniture in, but will arrange for music and drinks (happy for you to BYO as well, more the better).
Please RSVP to manansagar@gmail.com and I will email you my apartment number and let the concierge know.
Cheers
Manan

Stop posting the same thing over and over. We consider that as spam; as such your other posts have been deleted.

Recently relocated to Singapore and looking for new friends.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Mon, 30 Jul 2012 4:51 pm

You've just arrived in a new country and you're holding an open house party advertised via the web?

My honest opinion... you're completely nuts! :o

v4jr4
Reporter
Reporter

Postby v4jr4 » Mon, 30 Jul 2012 4:59 pm

Or simply . . . desperate?

Akimbo
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Akimbo » Mon, 30 Jul 2012 5:23 pm

Meh...I've given him the benefit of doubt and agreed to it anyway... :p

And JR8, v4jr4, come on...where's your sense of adventure? The dude's awesome to be out there like that. Say yes to opportunities! Even though it comes out weird at times...

Okay, I admit it, I've been reading too much Yes Man...
My thread...The Weekenders If you need my e-mail address, it's in the first post of the thread.

v4jr4
Reporter
Reporter

Postby v4jr4 » Mon, 30 Jul 2012 5:28 pm

Akimbo, dude. I hope we're not going for the term "YOLO" :lol:

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Mon, 30 Jul 2012 5:30 pm

v4jr4 wrote:Akimbo, dude. I hope we're not going for the term "YOLO" :lol:

Oh, good lordie...

Anyway, OP couldn't take a hint and kept posting the same invite over and over all over the boards in spite a warning. Something did not smell right.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Mon, 30 Jul 2012 5:31 pm

Akimbo wrote:And JR8, v4jr4, come on...where's your sense of adventure?

You'd be ok with it being held at your place then? Hehehe....

Try doing a Google on 'Facebook party' to understand the caution.

Akimbo
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Akimbo » Mon, 30 Jul 2012 5:41 pm

I do not know what YOLO is...and will not press the enter button in Google to find out...I just hope that it does mean "You Only Live Once"

nakatago wrote:Anyway, OP couldn't take a hint and kept posting the same invite over and over all over the boards in spite a warning. Something did not smell right.

It was quite strange in the beginning though...but I've spoken to him via e-mail, and seems legit :p... meh, maybe he just never learned forum rules or something...

JR8 wrote:You'd be ok with it being held at your place then? Hehehe....

I don't mind, yo :cool: ...thing is, I only have a local 3+1 room HDB, and I live with other tenants. If I still have a slick pad like the one I lived before in Woodlands (old HDB, 2 giant masters, 1 giant common, 1 study became a common, a kitchen, and a gigantic living room) in the middle of the city, why wouldn't I? I think it was called...a Jumbo house or sumthin'

Understanding the caution? Hmm...can't open facebook from the office here...
My thread...The Weekenders If you need my e-mail address, it's in the first post of the thread.

manan_sagar

Postby manan_sagar » Mon, 30 Jul 2012 6:23 pm

Dear administrator
Not sure what I did wrong here.
Let me just recap,
1. Moved to Singapore last week
2. Signed into to SG Expat Forum with my real name (http://uk.linkedin.com/pub/manan-sagar/1b/4a8/b53), where I thought I could meet other professional Expats who wouldnt mind meeting for a drink.
3. Found a crash pad, and wanted to invite others who had recently moved to SG for a drink
4. Posted an invite, requesting an RSVP, if people (who have also recenlty moved to SG)wanted to come (to the 20s, 30s and the Newcomers club), since I just saw everone wanting to meet, but no one really organising anything.

Since, then, have Adji and Melvin, who sounds like good guys, contact me and one wierdo, who I have refused to have over.

I have just been relaised that the DEAR MODERATOR has deleted my posts, been called desperate and trolling.

Anyway, I think my worst fears about Singapore just being a 'control crazy' city has just come true.

Thanks for the welcome.

Regards
Manan

v4jr4
Reporter
Reporter

Postby v4jr4 » Mon, 30 Jul 2012 6:35 pm

Akimbo wrote:

I do not know what YOLO is...and will not press the enter button in Google to find out...I just hope that it does mean "You Only Live Once"

You got it right. For me, personally, it's too uncommon to see an open house invitation on the first several attempts (unless Bruce Wayne is real).

manan_sagar

Postby manan_sagar » Mon, 30 Jul 2012 6:42 pm

I think it is just a cultural differnce.

I am used to having a BYO party all through my University life and whenever I moved to a new apartment in London.

Also, whilst it is an Open Invitation, I deceide who I add to my guest list. The security at MB Residences is as good as any hotel, and you can't really get to my appartment unless I want you to come.

manan_sagar

Postby manan_sagar » Mon, 30 Jul 2012 6:51 pm

Oh and v4jr4, you can go watch Batman on the 8th.

Akimbo
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Akimbo » Mon, 30 Jul 2012 7:51 pm

manan_sagar wrote:I think it is just a cultural differnce.

I am used to having a BYO party all through my University life and whenever I moved to a new apartment in London.

Also, whilst it is an Open Invitation, I deceide who I add to my guest list. The security at MB Residences is as good as any hotel, and you can't really get to my appartment unless I want you to come.

Yeah, it is a cultural difference for the Open-Party, BYO thing...this is an Asian country...this kind of thing never happens to most of us Asians who live at this side of the world...we consider inviting people over to our houses is for people who we're well acquainted with...not just new people out of the blue like you're doing...just not in our culture to do so. Although the people you're inviting right now in the threads here aren't necessarily Asians...can I get one of the mods to answer this?

But don't go saying that you got your first account banned because of cultural difference...it was prolly because you posted the same message over and over again in every thread in the same sub-forum...I've told you before, I saw your post at at least 8 different threads in 20's club...

And word of advice, the Edit button at the upper right of your post is your friend. Don't go posting over and over again in the same thread in the span of an hour without anybody replying your last post....(example, your post above...I know you did it only twice, but still)...this is the same unspoken rule as in any forum in the world. Cause people would abuse that kind of action to increase their post count.

manan_sagar

Postby manan_sagar » Mon, 30 Jul 2012 8:12 pm

Thanks for the advice Akimbo.

I understand the rules now (both spoken and unspoken) in Asia now (and the use of the 'edit' button.

Am not going to waste my time anymore on this. The invitation stands, please feel free to email me if you are new to SG, looking for friends and want to grab a drink.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 30 Jul 2012 9:27 pm

manan_sagar wrote:Thanks for the advice Akimbo.

I understand the rules now (both spoken and unspoken) in Asia now (and the use of the 'edit' button.

Am not going to waste my time anymore on this. The invitation stands, please feel free to email me if you are new to SG, looking for friends and want to grab a drink.

manan_sagar, people here are only trying to warn you. You are not in university, you aren't even in the real world, you're on the Little Red Dot which is totally detached from reality.

So, with that in mind, they are just giving you a helpful warning. The last time some poor sod tried that a couple of years ago, (2 or 3, can't quite remember) he put on open invitation on this forum for a poolside BBQ/party trying to get a friendly mix of people (the condo was somewhere behind Mt Elizabeth Hospital if I remember correctly). He did. Over one hundred people showed up, all males and all from, you guessed it., India, Sri Lanka & Bangladesh all looking for free booze and free food. No girls turned up I don't think. They learn fast here. If you have browsed the board for a bit, in this particular forum, you will notice that every time a female come to town, she is inundated with Indian come-ons even though the girl specifies female company only. If they can't follow that simple hint, you think putting out a free party welcome is going to slow 'em down. (even giving your address to one forum member could translate to several dozen uninvited guests.)

Anyway, welcome to Singapore and welcome to the board. Sorry it didn't take off the way you had planned. We were only trying to help you keep from having a debacle on your hands and probably ticking off your landlord & neighbours as well.