Singapore Expats Forum

Canadian looking to relocate to Singapore

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:
The Club Residences

Posts: 1
Joined: Sat, 28 Jul 2012

Canadian looking to relocate to Singapore

Postby L.R.M. » Sat, 28 Jul 2012 2:36 pm

I'm a 24 year-old, Canadian citizen who aspires to relocate to Singapore in the coming months. I wish to study abroad and move closer to my girlfriend, who currently resides there. I would like to teach English, and have thoroughly researched British Council Singapore as a feasible (and plausible) prospect. I have also investigated various TEFL courses, but question their credibility. British Council sounds like a well-established institute and appears to be an ideal fit given my foreign capacity.

Does this course of action seem practical to you? I understand that I will require financial stability; in order to secure a job, I'll need either a work permit or student pass - the latter of which I would procure upon registering with British Council? How likely would it be for a Canadian citizen, studying in Singapore, to find employment? I've no real credentials besides a high school equivalence and one semester of post-secondary, so I would imagine that any work I were to find would be less than luxurious? I'm okay with that, so long as I can afford a place to stay. Moreover, my girlfriend wouldn't be staying with me. I'd like for someday to acquire a permanent residence in Singapore.

This is a large step for me; one of which I'm tenacious enough to achieve. My resolve is great, and I'm striving to reach this goal before the year's end. I'm reaching out to the members of this forum who are presumably better informed than I am, in hopes that I can grasp a greater perspective of what's to come in light of initiating this transition. Has anyone had any experience with British Council Singapore? What will be required of me? Will securing an apartment, as well as financial stability, be possible? Is there anything else you would recommend?

I await any responses, and appreciate them in advance.

Best wishes,

Posts: 1752
Joined: Thu, 07 Sep 2006
Location: Ahlongistan (O$P$)

Postby beppi » Sat, 28 Jul 2012 9:12 pm

To get a Student Pass (visa that allows you to reside in Singapore for studies), you need to be registered full-time student at one of the approved institutes. I don't know whether the British Council counts as such (and has full-time courses), but you can find that out from them.
Since English is the main language here (all schooling is in English), finding a TEFL job AND getting the relevant work visa without an educational degree and several years experience might be difficult. Informal or part-time jobs (also while being a student) are generally not allowed.

User avatar
Posts: 35178
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 28 Jul 2012 10:40 pm

You can only work part-time if on a student's visa IF you are schooling in a Gov't sanctioned institution. Private schooling does not qualify.

The following should give you all the info you need.

employment of foreign students

There are other passes available which you may or may not qualify. You would need to examine all and see if / where you might conceivably fit in. From your post, at the moment, I think you are up the creek without the proverbial paddle, to tell the truth.

  • Similar Topics
    Last post

Return to “Relocating, Moving to Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests