Singapore Expats Forum

Can i leave singapore without Paying my Bills?

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 3893
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012
Location: SIndiapore

Postby Wd40 » Tue, 03 Dec 2013 9:29 pm

Akimbo, when a contract finishes, it doesnt mean the services stop immediately. In fact during the contract period you enjoy discounted rates. Once the contract finishes, the full rate applies. Its a month to month basis, without any contract. Until you call them up and cancel it, they will keep billing you and you will have to pay up.

User avatar
aster
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1593
Joined: Fri, 15 Jan 2010

Re: hi

Postby aster » Wed, 04 Dec 2013 12:22 am

iamjan wrote:i need to leave because i will be overstayed.


I only just read this but this is a much more serious issue if anyone is ever in this position. You do NOT want to overstay in Singapore beyond what you are legally entitled to. Never make that mistake.

Got bills to settle? Settle them. Preferably before you leave. But do not treat this as an excuse to overstay because then you will really be in trouble.

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5253
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Postby the lynx » Wed, 04 Dec 2013 8:56 am

Akimbo wrote:Hey guys, I have a slight predicament regarding my SHub contract...please bear with me for the story...

I've changed flatmates, and they have a brand new Singtel broadband internet contract which I'd like to have it shared with me.

I found out that my previous SHub contract has expired since Oct, but until now I just let the internet on for me to use.

So today I received a bill from Starhub concerning the past 2 months (whopping $160 if you compare it with a new contract that is $40/month)

Now, I've fulfilled my end of the bargain of 2 year contract for the internet, but I guess I've been enjoying "free" internet for the last 2 months. Should I not pay it and just let SHub to cut off my internet connection (I'd prefer so :twisted:), or do I still have to pay it (which I'm okay with) and go to the CS to get the damn thing terminated?

Thx for your advice guys and gals.


I'm not sure what your post means but understanding the telco contracts here, if you do not terminate after your 2-year contract, you will continue to run month-to-month basis (so Wd40's reply is actually not so accurate).

How much do you normally pay SH before Oct? That should be the same price you will have November onwards.

Having your 2-year obligation ends means that you can now leave any time you want, provided you have paid your usual bills promptly.

For example, my SH contract ended in July and for many reasons, I still keep it rolling because I have no commitment to renew a package for another 2 years. Let's say I like a shiny new phone model from ST and would like to take a contract to have it subsidised. Under the same rule, I could actually just hop over and have my SH terminated without a termination fees.

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9294
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Wed, 04 Dec 2013 10:56 am

Wd40 wrote:Once the contract finishes, the full rate applies. Its a month to month basis, without any contract. Until you call them up and cancel it, they will keep billing you and you will have to pay up.

It is more complicated. It depends on the plan, T&C and the SP. I have some plans (contracts) getting auto-extended but for shorter periods then in the original contracts. I also have some plans where the contract is over and I still pay promotional rates or benefit from the promotion freebees. In other words, while it looks they are back to the full rate plan it is better to check what is the status before assuming there is no valid contract (term).

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 3893
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012
Location: SIndiapore

Postby Wd40 » Wed, 04 Dec 2013 10:57 am

the lynx wrote:
Akimbo wrote:Hey guys, I have a slight predicament regarding my SHub contract...please bear with me for the story...

I've changed flatmates, and they have a brand new Singtel broadband internet contract which I'd like to have it shared with me.

I found out that my previous SHub contract has expired since Oct, but until now I just let the internet on for me to use.

So today I received a bill from Starhub concerning the past 2 months (whopping $160 if you compare it with a new contract that is $40/month)

Now, I've fulfilled my end of the bargain of 2 year contract for the internet, but I guess I've been enjoying "free" internet for the last 2 months. Should I not pay it and just let SHub to cut off my internet connection (I'd prefer so :twisted:), or do I still have to pay it (which I'm okay with) and go to the CS to get the damn thing terminated?

Thx for your advice guys and gals.


I'm not sure what your post means but understanding the telco contracts here, if you do not terminate after your 2-year contract, you will continue to run month-to-month basis (so Wd40's reply is actually not so accurate).



I said exactly what you said, why then is my reply not accurate? :?

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5253
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Postby the lynx » Wed, 04 Dec 2013 10:59 am

Wd40 wrote:
the lynx wrote:
Akimbo wrote:Hey guys, I have a slight predicament regarding my SHub contract...please bear with me for the story...

I've changed flatmates, and they have a brand new Singtel broadband internet contract which I'd like to have it shared with me.

I found out that my previous SHub contract has expired since Oct, but until now I just let the internet on for me to use.

So today I received a bill from Starhub concerning the past 2 months (whopping $160 if you compare it with a new contract that is $40/month)

Now, I've fulfilled my end of the bargain of 2 year contract for the internet, but I guess I've been enjoying "free" internet for the last 2 months. Should I not pay it and just let SHub to cut off my internet connection (I'd prefer so :twisted:), or do I still have to pay it (which I'm okay with) and go to the CS to get the damn thing terminated?

Thx for your advice guys and gals.


I'm not sure what your post means but understanding the telco contracts here, if you do not terminate after your 2-year contract, you will continue to run month-to-month basis (so Wd40's reply is actually not so accurate).



I said exactly what you said, why then is my reply not accurate? :?


The full rate bit. Not month-to-month. My bad, I should have specifically mentioned that in my post. :oops:

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 3893
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012
Location: SIndiapore

Postby Wd40 » Wed, 04 Dec 2013 11:02 am

the lynx wrote:
Wd40 wrote:
the lynx wrote:
Akimbo wrote:Hey guys, I have a slight predicament regarding my SHub contract...please bear with me for the story...

I've changed flatmates, and they have a brand new Singtel broadband internet contract which I'd like to have it shared with me.

I found out that my previous SHub contract has expired since Oct, but until now I just let the internet on for me to use.

So today I received a bill from Starhub concerning the past 2 months (whopping $160 if you compare it with a new contract that is $40/month)

Now, I've fulfilled my end of the bargain of 2 year contract for the internet, but I guess I've been enjoying "free" internet for the last 2 months. Should I not pay it and just let SHub to cut off my internet connection (I'd prefer so :twisted:), or do I still have to pay it (which I'm okay with) and go to the CS to get the damn thing terminated?

Thx for your advice guys and gals.


I'm not sure what your post means but understanding the telco contracts here, if you do not terminate after your 2-year contract, you will continue to run month-to-month basis (so Wd40's reply is actually not so accurate).



I said exactly what you said, why then is my reply not accurate? :?


The full rate bit. Not month-to-month. My bad, I should have specifically mentioned that in my post. :oops:


Ic, Thanks :)

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 3893
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012
Location: SIndiapore

Postby Wd40 » Wed, 04 Dec 2013 11:06 am

x9200 wrote:
Wd40 wrote:Once the contract finishes, the full rate applies. Its a month to month basis, without any contract. Until you call them up and cancel it, they will keep billing you and you will have to pay up.

It is more complicated. It depends on the plan, T&C and the SP. I have some plans (contracts) getting auto-extended but for shorter periods then in the original contracts. I also have some plans where the contract is over and I still pay promotional rates or benefit from the promotion freebees. In other words, while it looks they are back to the full rate plan it is better to check what is the status before assuming there is no valid contract (term).


Interesting! I have had only 1 starhub internet+tv 1 yr contract expire before and then the discounts were taken away and had to pay the full rate month to month. Then I cancelled it.

Now my current starhub tv+ internet contract of 2 years expires next Mar. Its going to be a tough decision.
whether to continue to pay the higher rates or recontract or move to Mio TV.

I would love to move to Mio Tv, if all this uncertainty of job wasn't there.

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9294
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Wed, 04 Dec 2013 11:38 am

An example from Starhub. I am on the price plan where I have 1Mb unlimited mobile broadband (mBB) "for free". It was a bundle with the cable and maxonline, low-middle price level ~$90 bare (excluding extra channels and hardware rental). The contract is over for I believe 1 year or so and I still have the free mBB with the remark I am not on contract. I pay still the same.

I am actually surprised they apply full rates in some cases. This does not do the SP any good.

Mio TV has no Discovery, History and CI Channels and this is what I mostly watch on cable TV so it is no go for me with their current offer.

Akimbo
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 855
Joined: Wed, 02 May 2012
Location: Serangoon

Postby Akimbo » Wed, 04 Dec 2013 12:36 pm

Thanks for the replies, all.

Apparently in my 2 year contract I've been paying a "discounted" rate. Around $58 per month. Now after 2 years, they had reverted back to the "normal" rate, which is $83.62. I got called by them arnd Oct, and was told to renew the contract (I think) and it would be much cheaper, arnd $40 for the same kind of plan. I guess that'd be renewing the contract for another 2 years though.

So that means right now, it's best that I pay my bills and get it cancelled?

I'll call them and see whether it's plausible to just cancel it right away, and just not pay my bills... :twisted:

The friggin' queue at NEX the other day was just horrendous, I just don't wanna waste my evening just queuing to pay the bill...
My thread...The Weekenders If you need my e-mail address, it's in the first post of the thread.

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 3893
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012
Location: SIndiapore

Postby Wd40 » Wed, 04 Dec 2013 12:56 pm

x9200 wrote:An example from Starhub. I am on the price plan where I have 1Mb unlimited mobile broadband (mBB) "for free". It was a bundle with the cable and maxonline, low-middle price level ~$90 bare (excluding extra channels and hardware rental). The contract is over for I believe 1 year or so and I still have the free mBB with the remark I am not on contract. I pay still the same.

I am actually surprised they apply full rates in some cases. This does not do the SP any good.

Mio TV has no Discovery, History and CI Channels and this is what I mostly watch on cable TV so it is no go for me with their current offer.


Mio TV, has this desi pack of about 11 Indian channels for like $30 and set top box for $5. So $35 I get all I need.

Mio launched these Indian channels pack about 1 and half years ago and they managed to lure loads of Indians out of starhub, which was until then the best choice for Indian channels.

Now starhub is also offering around 7 odd indian channels for around that price but then you need to pay additional $24 for the basic channels.

But then Mio TV you also need to take their expensive broadband along with the TV I guess. Starhub has the cheapest broadband of 3mbps for about $25 on contract.

Its so complicated and tough to choose especially since you have to sign the contract.

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 609
Joined: Wed, 17 Apr 2013

Postby AngMoG » Wed, 04 Dec 2013 2:04 pm

Just to chime in on this as well:

we recently ended up with our singtel conking out for the 6th time in as many months, so we decided to terminate it, and switch to starhub if they offered short-term contract. My wife had been customer for 7+ years, so apparently we got some kind of "special conditions", where we are now on a month-to-month contract, with the only caveats that we have to stay on for at least 3 months, and that we had to buy the cable modem ($89). This is a 25Mbps plan, at about $45 per month. We already have Starhub TV.

Getting there was a hassle though. My wife had called Starhub before, and they had confirmed that it was possible to have this kind of contract. However, when I called the sales hotline, they denied any such thing existed. called the general enquiry number, and they confirmed that we could have a $60 plan for 15Mbps on a month-to-month basis, we just would need to call them back once we had a modem. Then we went to Starhub @ Parkway that same day, in order to get it done in a face-to-face manner. At first the gatekeeper giving out tickets denied existence of such a thing. As we insisted and gave my wife's IC, he talked to someone and came back that, ok, but we'd have to buy the modem. Fine. Then, after 1.5 hours wait, when it was finally our turn, at first the customer service officer wanted to lock us in on a 6-month minimum, and he had to go and check again to verify that we could indeed have a 3-month minimum contract. It came out, as mentioned, to be $45 per month for 25Mbps. Though as opposed to Singtel DSL, Starhub cable internet speeds are purely theoretical, and it actually comes out worse than Singtel's 15 Mbps most of the time.

The Singtel problems seem to be mostly caused by bad in-wall cabling in our apartment. Apparently the last successful repair used the last cable pair, and the technician had advised us that the next time he would not be able to fix it anymore. We will let the landlord know when we move out (we already said we had issues to the agent last time we met him). We have no desire to have it repaired at this point, it would only cause disruption to us, and serve no purpose, since we do have internet now on the terms that we need. The Singtel contract had already run way past its two years, but canceling it proved to be a bit of a hassle as well. Apparently, we have to wait 5 days for them to "unbundle" it before it can be finally terminated. And they tried their best to convince us not to leave ;)

Just to add on: In general, Starhub ONLY offers 24-month contracts for cable internet. Ironically, the short-term option is only available if you have been a customer for long enough, which means it is generally not open to those who need it most - people here on shorter assignments.

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 3893
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012
Location: SIndiapore

Postby Wd40 » Wed, 04 Dec 2013 2:09 pm

AngMoG wrote:Just to chime in on this as well:

we recently ended up with our singtel conking out for the 6th time in as many months, so we decided to terminate it, and switch to starhub if they offered short-term contract. My wife had been customer for 7+ years, so apparently we got some kind of "special conditions", where we are now on a month-to-month contract, with the only caveats that we have to stay on for at least 3 months, and that we had to buy the cable modem ($89). This is a 25Mbps plan, at about $45 per month. We already have Starhub TV.

Getting there was a hassle though. My wife had called Starhub before, and they had confirmed that it was possible to have this kind of contract. However, when I called the sales hotline, they denied any such thing existed. called the general enquiry number, and they confirmed that we could have a $60 plan for 15Mbps on a month-to-month basis, we just would need to call them back once we had a modem. Then we went to Starhub @ Parkway that same day, in order to get it done in a face-to-face manner. At first the gatekeeper giving out tickets denied existence of such a thing. As we insisted and gave my wife's IC, he talked to someone and came back that, ok, but we'd have to buy the modem. Fine. Then, after 1.5 hours wait, when it was finally our turn, at first the customer service officer wanted to lock us in on a 6-month minimum, and he had to go and check again to verify that we could indeed have a 3-month minimum contract. It came out, as mentioned, to be $45 per month for 25Mbps. Though as opposed to Singtel DSL, Starhub cable internet speeds are purely theoretical, and it actually comes out worse than Singtel's 15 Mbps most of the time.

The Singtel problems seem to be mostly caused by bad in-wall cabling in our apartment. Apparently the last successful repair used the last cable pair, and the technician had advised us that the next time he would not be able to fix it anymore. We will let the landlord know when we move out (we already said we had issues to the agent last time we met him). We have no desire to have it repaired at this point, it would only cause disruption to us, and serve no purpose, since we do have internet now on the terms that we need. The Singtel contract had already run way past its two years, but canceling it proved to be a bit of a hassle as well. Apparently, we have to wait 5 days for them to "unbundle" it before it can be finally terminated. And they tried their best to convince us not to leave ;)

Just to add on: In general, Starhub ONLY offers 24-month contracts for cable internet. Ironically, the short-term option is only available if you have been a customer for long enough, which means it is generally not open to those who need it most - people here on shorter assignments.


Interesting! Thanks for sharing :)
I think one option to have short contracts as well as discounted rates is look for people who want to transfer contracts. Its a win win. In my company we have an internal classified chat board and people post all kinds of deals. When my contract expires, I wont terminate nor recontract, I will look for someone going back to their home country with around 6 months left on their contract and I will take it off them and then terminate my existing connection.

BTW, starhub's minimum contracts(for the general public, new customers) are 1 yr for both cable and broadband, but the discount is lesser on the 1 yr contract. Usually on the 2 year contract they have higher discount for the 1st yr and then the next yr is lesser discount.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Computer, Internet, Phone & Electronics”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest