Singapore Expats Forum
 

Can i leave singapore without Paying my Bills?

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
iamjan
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri, 27 Jul 2012 10:11 am
Location: singapore

Can i leave singapore without Paying my Bills?

Post by iamjan » Fri, 27 Jul 2012 10:20 am

Im an M1 use with a 2 year contract. i got a zero value phone, now i resigned my company for some reason. I am normally monthly paying my bills
and there is no problem but for a zero value phone. i have to pay my penalty is a way bigger money for me. one thing, my wife here got an iphone contract for 2 years also hers is singtel, and last one is we have starhub internet. if we plan to terminate we will pay all the penalties.. and its a lot.
please do give me adivice here. we dont have plans for running, but for the situation that i needed to leave because my visa will end so soon. what do i do?


for my m1 i pay 35 each month +300 for overseas calls + penalty of a zero value phone which i never use i got it 2 months ago. so my penalty will be 530sg. over a zero value samsung ace phone! We have an emergency problem, i myself needed to leave because of visa expiring soon. ive talk to M1 but they already terminated me and wants me to pay the bill immedietly.

for my wife singtel she pays 56 a month now plus the penalty she only uses the iphone for 5 months so she needs to pay 850sg.

then we have a starhub internet 56 monthly+ penalty charge if we terminate because we are not 3 month yet so much pay 380g.

Now, tell me how? Please. does immigration have access on this?
Last edited by iamjan on Fri, 27 Jul 2012 12:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
hi

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 11642
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 12:13 am
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 27 Jul 2012 10:26 am

Honor your contracts!!!! It is people the run out on their bills that make life more difficult for expatriates that stay... larger deposits, higher fees.

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8342
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009 11:23 pm
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children

Post by nakatago » Fri, 27 Jul 2012 10:26 am

You can continue paying even outside of Singapore. Call M1 (or anybody else for that matter) and arrange for the proper billing. You can pay via online banking.

User avatar
v4jr4
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 887
Joined: Mon, 09 Jul 2012 11:28 am
Location: Chocolate Factory

Post by v4jr4 » Fri, 27 Jul 2012 10:30 am

I think you can transfer the ownership to someone else. Try to approach the customer service for more details.

iamjan
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri, 27 Jul 2012 10:11 am
Location: singapore

for m1 its about 800 my bills in total with penalties.

Post by iamjan » Fri, 27 Jul 2012 12:23 pm

for my wife which is singtel 850sg with those penalties. + starhub internet 400sg including penalties.
hi

User avatar
Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1793
Joined: Sat, 19 Jun 2004 10:23 pm
Location: Kinto Pino

Post by Mi Amigo » Fri, 27 Jul 2012 12:34 pm

Did you not consider the length of your work visa when you signed these contracts, and make the appropriate provisions? Apparently not, but my advice is to pay up (in one go, or by keeping up your monthly payments from abroad) and learn from the experience. You should do this because (a) it's the right thing to do, and (b) do you really want to have this hanging around in the future when you may need to come back to Singapore at some point?
Be careful what you wish for

iamjan
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri, 27 Jul 2012 10:11 am
Location: singapore

Post by iamjan » Fri, 27 Jul 2012 12:36 pm

i did not imagine i will resigned. i thought i could still find..but no have
hi

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8342
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009 11:23 pm
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children

Re: Can i leave singapore without Paying my Bills?

Post by nakatago » Fri, 27 Jul 2012 12:37 pm

iamjan wrote:Im an M1 use with a 2 year contract. i got a zero value phone, now i resigned my company for some reason. I am normally monthly paying my bills
and there is no problem but for a zero value phone. i have to pay my penalty is a way bigger money for me. one thing, my wife here got an iphone contract for 2 years also hers is singtel, and last one is we have starhub internet. if we plan to terminate we will pay all the penalties.. and its a lot.
please do give me adivice here. we dont have plans for running, but for the situation that i needed to leave because my visa will end so soon. what do i do?


for my m1 i pay 35 each month +300 for overseas calls + penalty of a zero value phone which i never use i got it 2 months ago. so my penalty will be 530sg. over a zero value samsung ace phone! We have an emergency problem, i myself needed to leave because of visa expiring soon. ive talk to M1 but they already terminated me and wants me to pay the bill immedietly.

for my wife singtel she pays 56 a month now plus the penalty she only uses the iphone for 5 months so she needs to pay 850sg.

then we have a starhub internet 56 monthly+ penalty charge if we terminate because we are not 3 month yet so much pay 380g.

Now, tell me how? Please. does immigration have access on this?
quoting this before OP obliterates his post; don't have enough on him to merit the banhammer yet.

User avatar
Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1793
Joined: Sat, 19 Jun 2004 10:23 pm
Location: Kinto Pino

Post by Mi Amigo » Fri, 27 Jul 2012 12:43 pm

iamjan wrote:i did not imagine i will resigned. i thought i could still find..but no have
Well, like I said, best to pay up and learn a lesson. If you walk away with unsettled debts you could end up in trouble if you ever come back...

http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/sutra539577.html
http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/sutra550220.html

Yes I know, those cases involved credit card / loan debts, but the princlple is the same.
Be careful what you wish for

iamjan
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri, 27 Jul 2012 10:11 am
Location: singapore

can i still exit at immigration? do they have access?

Post by iamjan » Fri, 27 Jul 2012 12:48 pm

can i still exit immigration at airport? do they have acces?
hi

User avatar
Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1793
Joined: Sat, 19 Jun 2004 10:23 pm
Location: Kinto Pino

Re: can i still exit at immigration? do they have access?

Post by Mi Amigo » Fri, 27 Jul 2012 12:56 pm

iamjan wrote:can i still exit immigration at airport? do they have acces?
Your safest bet is to assume that all records are (or can be) linked in some way, so the data would be shared at some point. Depending on what stage you were at with your creditors, you may well be able to exit the country without any problem. But wouldn't you want to have the opportunity to come back to Singapore in the future, even if only for a short visit or as a transit passenger?

Why not just find a way to make payments so that you don't have bad debts against your name?
Be careful what you wish for

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5274
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010 6:29 pm
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Fri, 27 Jul 2012 1:30 pm

Looks like OP has obliterated his first post. Good thing Nak got that back up.

I can only say one thing to OP: You should honour your contracts! How could you even think about running away from your debt?! Shame on you. :x

At least get someone to take over your contracts! Not expensive. Only around SGD20 for ownership transfer fee...

I totally agree with Mi Amigo that you should have given much thought and made provisions for such matters.

iamjan
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri, 27 Jul 2012 10:11 am
Location: singapore

hi

Post by iamjan » Fri, 27 Jul 2012 1:33 pm

i only got 3 days left here. where can i find in singapore someone who will shoulder for the ownership? yes my mistake. its an emergency!
hi

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5274
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010 6:29 pm
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Re: hi

Post by the lynx » Fri, 27 Jul 2012 1:38 pm

iamjan wrote:i only got 3 days left here. where can i find in singapore someone who will shoulder for the ownership? yes my mistake. its an emergency!
Try asking your friends? Or advertise (it will be very slow)

And then quickly bring your friend and yourself over to Singtel, Starhub and M1 with the following documents:

1. Your work pass, passport and a copy of your bill
2. Your friend's work pass/NRIC or passport and a proof of his billing address (bank statement etc)

If you fail to get someone, arrange to pay it on monthly basis from your home country (or whichever country you choose to go to) using bank transfer or credit card. Inform Singtel, Starhub and M1 on such arrangement. And when the zero-fee-termination period comes in, arrange to have them terminated.

iamjan
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri, 27 Jul 2012 10:11 am
Location: singapore

hi

Post by iamjan » Fri, 27 Jul 2012 1:55 pm

i can pay the montly bills. but the bills is not arriving yet i have been calling them but i need to wait. but how i need to leave soon i dont plan to over stay here. however, for now i cant pay those penalty charges.. i have been terminated already by them. all cannot use. but stil have i have debts with them.. any smart idea? im really using money for an emergency..
hi

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Computer, Internet, Phone & Electronics”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests