Singapore Expats Forum

many questions

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:
The Club Residences

cobia6620

many questions

Postby cobia6620 » Fri, 27 Jul 2012 1:36 am

Hi Group
My company is getting serious about locating me in Singapore for about 3 years beginning in 2013. I've done a little tax research and belive I undertand the USA part and company will pay any Singapore taxes. From a prevous post it looks like Distict 15 is good for my wife and I. I'm 61 and she's 58 and we're looking for a small quiet place close to transportation and the airport.
We plan on making a scouting trip in October to search for apartments and can anyone recommend a real estate agent who can help us or should I just use this forum to short list a few places to look for? Are the listed prices firm or open for a little negotiation? Are any furnished?
Is there high speed internet available in the apartments? I'll probably have my office in my apartment as I'll be traveling to many other countries.
I've been visiting Singapore for decades but this is the first time my wife will be out of the USA and hope the culture shock won't be major. If she doesn't like it I still have the option of not going.
any advice or info would be helpful
thks

wwww
Regular
Regular

Re: many questions

Postby wwww » Fri, 27 Jul 2012 9:40 am

Welcome to Singapore. :)

cobia6620 wrote:Hi Group
My company is getting serious about locating me in Singapore for about 3 years beginning in 2013. I've done a little tax research and belive I undertand the USA part and company will pay any Singapore taxes. From a prevous post it looks like Distict 15 is good for my wife and I. I'm 61 and she's 58 and we're looking for a small quiet place close to transportation and the airport.

We plan on making a scouting trip in October to search for apartments and can anyone recommend a real estate agent who can help us or should I just use this forum to short list a few places to look for?
I recommend you to use independent property websites to scout for your new place instead of engaging one agent only. An agent typically handles a very limited amount of properties. {Answer sanitized by moderator - and re-sanitized by poster, no need to change the entire meaning}
Are the listed prices firm or open for a little negotiation? Are any furnished?
It depends on how desperate the landlord is...but its not impossible. Some apartments come furnished.

Is there high speed internet available in the apartments?
No problem, up to 100M is possible. Just check the offers of Starhub and Singtel. When you rent your apartment you might want to check whether it is already equiped with Opennet fibre, as this gives you access to higher speeds at a cheap price.

I'll probably have my office in my apartment as I'll be traveling to many other countries.
I've been visiting Singapore for decades but this is the first time my wife will be out of the USA and hope the culture shock won't be major. If she doesn't like it I still have the option of not going.
any advice or info would be helpful
thks
Last edited by wwww on Fri, 27 Jul 2012 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jamesmj

Postby jamesmj » Fri, 27 Jul 2012 12:35 pm

These are the sites to take a look at your desired districts and you can look at your budget too.

ahhh.. nvm. advertisements will be deleted. although im not linked to them at all.. {removed solicitation by poster - moderator}

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 27 Jul 2012 1:29 pm

tic...toc...tic...toc...

Your email address indicates otherwise.

We are watching.

ryanmmx

Singapore

Postby ryanmmx » Sun, 12 Aug 2012 12:36 am

Singapore can be quite expensive if you're looking for the similar life style you have in the states.

Internet is not a problem but cost a bit more -- you will need to check if the place you're going to stay has access to fiber internet, otherwise you will have to go with cable -- which is ok for me.