Singapore Expats

Changing Job - SPass

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
evimarietta

Changing Job - SPass

Post by evimarietta » Tue, 24 Jul 2012 2:46 pm

Hi everyone,
I want to ask about my current condition.
I am working in Singapore as an accounts executive and my spass will be expiring on sept'12.
I am planning to change job and I have already interviewed as accounts consultant. They wanted to apply SPass for me, but they ask me not to cancel my current spass.
On 23/07/12 they applied the SPass and today I checked online, the status was rejected. I asked them about it and they said that their quota hasn't been adjusted yet on MOM's system. Is it even possible?

Meanwhile, they will try to apply again next month. I am confused whether to cancel my spass as my boss was asking me how is my decision, I was giving my resignation letter on 5th July.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Re: Changing Job - SPass

Post by the lynx » Tue, 24 Jul 2012 2:56 pm

evimarietta wrote:Hi everyone,
I want to ask about my current condition.
I am working in Singapore as an accounts executive and my spass will be expiring on sept'12.
I am planning to change job and I have already interviewed as accounts consultant. They wanted to apply SPass for me, but they ask me not to cancel my current spass.
On 23/07/12 they applied the SPass and today I checked online, the status was rejected. I asked them about it and they said that their quota hasn't been adjusted yet on MOM's system. Is it even possible?

Yes it is possible. Happened to my former company before. So they encouraged their foreign employees to apply for PR to free up the quota (not a very sound advice too - on another end).

Meanwhile, they will try to apply again next month. I am confused whether to cancel my spass as my boss was asking me how is my decision, I was giving my resignation letter on 5th July.
If you would still like to remain in Singapore without having to go back to your country in between your passes, I'd suggest that you withdraw your resignation. (1) And have your current company to renew your expiring pass in due time. Hold onto it until at least (2) you get the IPA for the new pass.

You may have challenges in (1), let alone (2). Unless you let your current pass expire, leave Singapore within the grace period and wait for the new pass in your home country. But that doesn't guarantee that the new pass will be approved definitely. It all depends on MOM still.

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Tue, 24 Jul 2012 2:58 pm

You cannot cancel an S-Pass, only your employer can, and has to when your employmend ends. Since you already handed in your resignation, you should already know when that is.
A new S-Pass application can be rejected for many reasons, one of them is insufficient foreigner quota at the employer. There is no guarantee you will get the S-Pass on your second application, or ever.
In the worst case, i.e. if your current employment ends but the new S-Pass is not approved, you'll hav to leave Singapore. That is always the risk when changing jobs as a foreigner here.

evimarietta

Post by evimarietta » Tue, 24 Jul 2012 3:13 pm

I heard from one of my colleague (her husband own a company and facing the same problem as mine when he was applying his employee's spass), the safest way to secure the spass is by surrender your current spass. But as what I checked from MOM website, we dont need to cancel our current while applying for the new spass.

But in my condition, I already signed a contract and will be bonded for 2yrs with the future employer. Is the 'bond' thingy stated in the SPass application? Because based on research I've done, most of the locals prefer not to be bond by any company (especially quite small company).

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Tue, 24 Jul 2012 3:23 pm

evimarietta wrote:I heard from one of my colleague (her husband own a company and facing the same problem as mine when he was applying his employee's spass), the safest way to secure the spass is by surrender your current spass. But as what I checked from MOM website, we dont need to cancel our current while applying for the new spass.

BWAHAHA... best advice ever, NOT! Sorry, this is definitely a wrong advice. You are right in your search with MOM website. IPA can still be issued by new company even when you're under current pass. Our advice still stands above.

But in my condition, I already signed a contract and will be bonded for 2yrs with the future employer. Is the 'bond' thingy stated in the SPass application? Because based on research I've done, most of the locals prefer not to be bond by any company (especially quite small company).

The bond will only take effect the moment you get your SPass approved. So if MOM still rejects you, they cannot do anything about it. Bond is only between the employee and the employer and has nothing to do with MOM, provided that the minimum rights of employees are not violated of course. Different people have different opinions about bonds. Some do not like it because it restricts career development, some don't mind because it proves that their job is secure and won't risk elimination. Your choice.

evimarietta

Post by evimarietta » Tue, 24 Jul 2012 3:30 pm

Thanks for the advice. It really helps. At least I got a reference for what should I do next. :)

the lynx
Governor
Governor

Post by the lynx » Tue, 24 Jul 2012 3:31 pm

evimarietta wrote:Thanks for the advice. It really helps. At least I got a reference for what should I do next. :)
You are welcome. But please keep us posted here in the forum on what happens to your case. So that other forum regulars can learn.

evimarietta

Post by evimarietta » Tue, 24 Jul 2012 3:39 pm

yeah sure, I am eagerly want to change job because my current employer doesn't that 'promising'. It's either I will work here until my spass expiring and waited for the new employer to continue applying my SPass or finding another job.
I am waiting from the reply from the new employer whether I should waited for them or not.

evimarietta

Post by evimarietta » Tue, 24 Jul 2012 3:43 pm

by the way, I forgot to mention that my new employer just cancelled their existing SPass holder on last Friday 20/07/12.

roxrox

Post by roxrox » Sat, 04 Aug 2012 8:09 am

evimarietta wrote:by the way, I forgot to mention that my new employer just cancelled their existing SPass holder on last Friday 20/07/12.

Hi,May i know have u resign from your employer?are you still waiting for appeal from 2nd company?

evimarietta

Post by evimarietta » Sat, 04 Aug 2012 10:04 pm

yesterday was my last day of work. I already surrendered my Spass but they havent give me anything yet. Whereas the new company will apply the new Spass on Monday. Hope everything will be fine :)

Goodluck for ur appeal as well