Singapore Expats

Singapore Citizenship Rejected

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
HappyPeppy

Singapore Citizenship Rejected

Post by HappyPeppy » Tue, 24 Jul 2012 10:38 am

Hi Team,

Hope someone can help me on the situation that i am facing

Just to give brief overview of myself

I am a Singapore PR for 9 years.

I applied for citizenship last year, after nearly 8 months of processing, my singapore citzenship got rejected.

I am earning 7000$ per month and constantly in employment for 9 years

I am an IT consultant and working in a MNC,

I have 5 RM HDB flat.

I am married for 3 years and my wife got PR early this year.

I applied citizenship even before my wife has gotten PR.

No criminal records or bankcruptcy

Let me know what could be the possibilities for rejection and when should i re-apply.

Pls advise

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 24 Jul 2012 10:59 am

Are you from the subcontinent perchance? If so, that would probably explain it.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

HappyPeppy

Post by HappyPeppy » Tue, 24 Jul 2012 11:04 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Are you from the subcontinent perchance? If so, that would probably explain it.
Hi i cant understand your question ? Kindly clarify

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Tue, 24 Jul 2012 11:11 am

What is your nationality?

HappyPeppy

Post by HappyPeppy » Tue, 24 Jul 2012 11:11 am

the lynx wrote:What is your nationality?
Indian :)

I know there is a limitations on the number of approvals based on nationality.
Two of my friends who applied at the same time as me and are earning lesser than me and a PR gotten citizenship easily.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Tue, 24 Jul 2012 11:18 am

OK if you have been here for 9 years and observed the socio-political landscape, you should realise by then on the shifts on demography here in Singapore.

To put it simply, Indians have gotten way too many here and then there have been grouses from the locals about foreigners, PRs and new citizens. You probably heard by now that government has promised to tighten up on immigration and PR/citizenship. That group will be among the target groups to control.

You can use the search function on the statistics and news excerpt to further understand the situation you're in.

In summary, not good for you for now. Not sure how the landscape will change for the next few years. Sorry.

And each application is based on its own merit so the common motto "If I can do it, you can too," doesn't apply here.

Did your wife applied on her own merit (PTS scheme) and do you have a child?

HappyPeppy

Post by HappyPeppy » Tue, 24 Jul 2012 11:21 am

the lynx wrote:OK if you have been here for 9 years and observed the socio-political landscape, you should realise by then on the shifts on demography here in Singapore.

To put it simply, Indians have gotten way too many here and then there have been grouses from the locals about foreigners, PRs and new citizens. You probably heard by now that government has promised to tighten up on immigration and PR/citizenship. That group will be among the target groups to control.

You can use the search function on the statistics and news excerpt to further understand the situation you're in.

In summary, not good for you for now. Not sure how the landscape will change for the next few years. Sorry.
Is it the same for all citizens like Malaysians, PRC's, Europeans and Filipinos ? Because since last 4 years i can see lot of Malaysians, Filipinos and PRC's compared to Indians.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Re: Singapore Citizenship Rejected

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 24 Jul 2012 11:22 am

HappyPeppy wrote: I am married for 3 years and my wife got PR early this year.

Besides being Indian, I would say this is your other negative. Apply again with her after she's been PR for a few years. Even better if you have a PR kid or two.

the lynx
Governor
Governor

Post by the lynx » Tue, 24 Jul 2012 11:25 am

HappyPeppy wrote:Is it the same for all citizens like Malaysians, PRC's, Europeans and Filipinos ? Because since last 4 years i can see lot of Malaysians, Filipinos and PRC's compared to Indians.
Malaysians (especially Malaysian Chinese) will always be favourable due to their similarities with Singaporean Chinese. I don't think this will change in other directions for a long period of time, probably not until the locals manage to hike up on reproduction themselves. And I'm referring to both PR and citizenship (of course the minimum requirements apply).

Not sure about other nationalities though so I can't comment.

HappyPeppy

Post by HappyPeppy » Tue, 24 Jul 2012 11:32 am

zzm9980 wrote:
HappyPeppy wrote: I am married for 3 years and my wife got PR early this year.

Besides being Indian, I would say this is your other negative. Apply again with her after she's been PR for a few years. Even better if you have a PR kid or two.
Do you think if i apply alone will it be a disadvantage, bcos my wife just got PR early this year, as per ICA website she needs to wait for 2 years completion, that means if i need to apply together i can apply only on 2014 for citizenship

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 24 Jul 2012 12:32 pm

HappyPeppy wrote: Do you think if i apply alone will it be a disadvantage,
Yes

revhappy
Editor
Editor

Post by revhappy » Tue, 24 Jul 2012 2:48 pm

I can understand your frustration. On one hand they say people who take up PR and buy HDB etc and then dont convert to Citizen are abusing the system. So they say will force people to take up citizenship if they have made use of "benefits". On the other hand when people like you apply for citizenship after so long they reject you.

So although, by nature we try to find a pattern, but its not alway 100% predictable, unless its a points based system like some of the other developed countries.

All, I can advise you see how your PR renewal goes as it is due next year and after that give another try and hopefully things would be better then.

Cheers!

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Tue, 24 Jul 2012 3:13 pm

You've got rejected on technicality as you applied in a family and wifey only had a year PR. It ain't gonna happen.
No point apply alone as your file has already been documented
Touch the ten year period and go for it
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 24 Jul 2012 6:59 pm

HappyPeppy wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Are you from the subcontinent perchance? If so, that would probably explain it.
Hi i cant understand your question ? Kindly clarify
HappyPeppy wrote:
the lynx wrote:What is your nationality?
Indian :)

Thanks for that LOL moment :lol:

HappyPeppy

Post by HappyPeppy » Wed, 25 Jul 2012 10:30 am

revhappy wrote:I can understand your frustration. On one hand they say people who take up PR and buy HDB etc and then dont convert to Citizen are abusing the system. So they say will force people to take up citizenship if they have made use of "benefits". On the other hand when people like you apply for citizenship after so long they reject you.

So although, by nature we try to find a pattern, but its not alway 100% predictable, unless its a points based system like some of the other developed countries.

All, I can advise you see how your PR renewal goes as it is due next year and after that give another try and hopefully things would be better then.

Cheers!
Hi will it help if an appointment can be made with ICA officer to discuss abt the outcome. Will they advise on when to apply or what has to be improved? Has any one done it before ?