Singapore Expats

Mesalazine/Asacol and prescriptions in Singapore

Discuss about beauty & health. Need some advice or looking for a particular product? Share your beauty and health tips here.
Starry_eyed_and_laughing

Mesalazine/Asacol and prescriptions in Singapore

Post by Starry_eyed_and_laughing » Tue, 17 Jul 2012 8:47 pm

Hi! I'm new to this forum. I am moving to Singapore in about 6 weeks to work.

I wondered if anyone could enlighten me on medication and prescription charges in Singapore? I have looked around the internet but can't seem to get any info!

I suffer from mild Ulcerative Colitis and I take 6 400mg coated Asacol (5-ASA or Mesalazine) each day so I go through about 120 pills per month. I am from the UK so am only just now realising how expensive this medication seems to be! :shock:

Does anyone have any advice or information which might help me?

I apologise if I am posting in the wrong place. I have tried searching the forum but I can't find anything!

Thanks in advance!

Erin

:???:

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 17 Jul 2012 9:02 pm

I don't know if it is a prescription or OTC drug, but apparently it is obtainable in Singapore. It may not be the same "brand" but it is/will be the same medication.

http://www.mims.com/Singapore/drug/search/mesalazine
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

stevexie1985

Re: Mesalazine/Asacol and prescriptions in Singapore

Post by stevexie1985 » Sat, 21 Jul 2012 5:18 pm

Starry_eyed_and_laughing wrote:Hi! I'm new to this forum. I am moving to Singapore in about 6 weeks to work.

I wondered if anyone could enlighten me on medication and prescription charges in Singapore? I have looked around the internet but can't seem to get any info!

I suffer from mild Ulcerative Colitis and I take 6 400mg coated Asacol (5-ASA or Mesalazine) each day so I go through about 120 pills per month. I am from the UK so am only just now realising how expensive this medication seems to be! :shock:

Does anyone have any advice or information which might help me?

I apologise if I am posting in the wrong place. I have tried searching the forum but I can't find anything!

Thanks in advance!

Erin

:???:

Hi Erin,

Since you are from the UK, i dont think that you are able to get any subsidize rate like Singaporeans. Therefore, the medication might be quite a fee for you. If you have insurance, it might be better for you though.

londongirl86

Post by londongirl86 » Wed, 01 Aug 2012 4:04 pm

Hi,

I suffer too and take Asacol and I've just moved here. But my doctor in the UK recently switched me to the higher dose Asacol (800mg), so of these you would need to take fewer and could get a longer-lasting supply.

I am going back to the UK in a month an at Christmas, so each time will top up. If this is an option for you, then that's probably best and cheapest.

Alternatively I am sure you can probably get them in a neighbouring Asia country over the counter without too much problem if you will be traveling much. I think I saw them in the Chemist at Colombo airport (sri lanka) on my stopover.

Good luck and if you need a friendly understanding face out here, feel free to contact me.

Amy