Singapore Expats Forum

PR wanna be, would be or will never be. Read this

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 20 Nov 2012 11:00 pm

How old is your daughter?

CIA_crypto
Regular
Regular

Postby CIA_crypto » Tue, 20 Nov 2012 11:08 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:How old is your daughter?

Nearly 4 years old

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 20 Nov 2012 11:50 pm

When she turns around 13 or 14 she will get a new NRIC and it will be a S one.

naveen6

Postby naveen6 » Fri, 07 Dec 2012 12:28 am

Experts ,

I am P1 pass holder from India been in Singapore with wife for last 2.5 years.
Planning to apply for PR in 2013. Had couple of questions.

1) Which month of year is better to apply - Not sure if it would make any difference. How ever wanted to verify abt this.

2) Considering the good conversion rate from SGD to INR, am planning to send my savings to India. Will this affect my PR application ?

Would apprecaite if somebody can reply to these questions.

thanks in Advance.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 07 Dec 2012 6:58 am

The biggest and, frankly, only thing that will affect your PR application is your ethnicity. Month of the year? Doesn't make one iota of difference, as there are no quotas, per se. Until the ethnic demographics are back to what the Government is comfortable with, it's going to be difficult for anybody from the subcontinent to gain PR in the next year or possibly two years. It sucks, but had your countrymen not abused the system so widely, maybe the pogrom wouldn't be quite so severe. But there you go. Once more your countrymen's reputations have hindered the followers. What to do? Buy your ticket and take your chances.

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Postby offshoreoildude » Fri, 07 Dec 2012 9:20 am

naveen6 wrote:Experts ,

1) Which month of year is better to apply - Not sure if it would make any difference. How ever wanted to verify abt this.

2) Considering the good conversion rate from SGD to INR, am planning to send my savings to India. Will this affect my PR application ?

thanks in Advance.

Icecube in hell would have more chance of getting through. Sorry Ghandi. Back to India for you.
Now I'm called PNGMK

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Postby the lynx » Fri, 07 Dec 2012 9:36 am

thanks in Advance.

1. Sorry, it may not work because of your nationality (it is pretty open out there). Even if you were to stay for the minimum 3 years and paying the tax, the chances are still pretty low.

2. Why would you want to send your savings to India? Won't that defeats the purpose of permanence in residence (PR)? I think you should be more concerned if your money will stay safe in India or Singapore. I'm a financial noob but even I would say that I'd rather grow my savings in Singapore.

naveen6

Postby naveen6 » Fri, 07 Dec 2012 9:59 am

the lynx wrote:

thanks in Advance.

1. Sorry, it may not work because of your nationality (it is pretty open out there). Even if you were to stay for the minimum 3 years and paying the tax, the chances are still pretty low.

2. Why would you want to send your savings to India? Won't that defeats the purpose of permanence in residence (PR)? I think you should be more concerned if your money will stay safe in India or Singapore. I'm a financial noob but even I would say that I'd rather grow my savings in Singapore.

But the FD bank rates in Singapore are so low that considering the inflation , My money is losing its value. And apart from property there is no better investment here. SInce chances of PR is less, shudnt be sending money back to India a good option as FD rates are almost 9% there and we need to shell out 10% extra on stamp duty for buying Private property over here.

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Fri, 07 Dec 2012 10:05 am

naveen6 wrote:But the FD bank rates in Singapore are so low that considering the inflation , My money is losing its value. And apart from property there is no better investment here. SInce chances of PR is less, shudnt be sending money back to India a good option as FD rates are almost 9% there and we need to shell out 10% extra on stamp duty for buying Private property over here.

That said, you don't sound like someone who wants to be in Singapore permanently. Nothing against you, buddy, but that's one of the things going against Indians--trying to hedge bets on everything everywhere and jumping ship when convenient. At least that's how ICA may see it.

Your chances of PR are pretty much shot anyway so just send your money to India since you'll most probably settle there. Unless, you'd also try to get PR from other countries.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Fri, 07 Dec 2012 7:02 pm

naveen6 wrote:But the FD bank rates in Singapore are so low that considering the inflation , My money is losing its value. And apart from property there is no better investment here. SInce chances of PR is less, shudnt be sending money back to India a good option as FD rates are almost 9% there and we need to shell out 10% extra on stamp duty for buying Private property over here.

You seem unaware that the INR depreciates versus SGD by around 10% a year, and a thumping 18% last year alone. Do your INR FD rates still look so good?

1 Jan 08 - 27.40
1 Jan 09 - 33.48
1 Jan 10 - 33.15
1 Jan 11 - 34.83
1 Jan 12 - 41.09

http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from= ... NR&view=5Y

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Fri, 07 Dec 2012 7:39 pm

JR8 wrote:You seem unaware that the INR depreciates versus SGD by around 10% a year, and a thumping 18% last year alone. Do your INR FD rates still look so good?

1 Jan 08 - 27.40
1 Jan 09 - 33.48
1 Jan 10 - 33.15
1 Jan 11 - 34.83
1 Jan 12 - 41.09

Nothing like a finance guy to inject reality into the conversation. Could it be that India pays these kinds of interest rates because it is the only way to attract foreign capital in the face of this kind of inflation?

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Postby offshoreoildude » Fri, 07 Dec 2012 10:11 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
JR8 wrote:You seem unaware that the INR depreciates versus SGD by around 10% a year, and a thumping 18% last year alone. Do your INR FD rates still look so good?

1 Jan 08 - 27.40
1 Jan 09 - 33.48
1 Jan 10 - 33.15
1 Jan 11 - 34.83
1 Jan 12 - 41.09

Nothing like a finance guy to inject reality into the conversation. Could it be that India pays these kinds of interest rates because it is the only way to attract foreign capital in the face of this kind of inflation?

He's thinking about INR because that's where he's planning to end up.
Now I'm called PNGMK

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Sat, 08 Dec 2012 3:40 am

offshoreoildude wrote:He's thinking about INR because that's where he's planning to end up.

Ergo: He's wise to convert his savings immediately - despite not living there and despite the INR depreciating by 10% a year above and beyond any interest he earns?

Amazing.

K.July

Pls feedback

Postby K.July » Mon, 10 Dec 2012 5:11 pm

Hi all,

Good day to you.

1) Myanmar Citizen - Chinese couple around 30
2) Main applicant working in MNC company with monthly income 5K
3) EP P2 holder and wife is holding DP
4) Main applicant has been here since May 2007 (over 5 years)
5) Wife has been here since April 2010 (over 2 years)
6) Both Degree holder
7) Submitted PR application on Mid of July 2012 (status = pending)

Hope to hear some feedback from you guys. Thank you.

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Re: Pls feedback

Postby offshoreoildude » Mon, 10 Dec 2012 8:27 pm

K.July wrote:Hi all,

Good day to you.

1) Myanmar Citizen - Chinese couple around 30
2) Main applicant working in MNC company with monthly income 5K
3) EP P2 holder and wife is holding DP
4) Main applicant has been here since May 2007 (over 5 years)
5) Wife has been here since April 2010 (over 2 years)
6) Both Degree holder
7) Submitted PR application on Mid of July 2012 (status = pending)

Hope to hear some feedback from you guys. Thank you.

Maybe.
Now I'm called PNGMK