Singapore Expats

PR wanna be, would be or will never be. Read this

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Westfield

Post by Westfield » Wed, 12 Jun 2013 11:51 am

Solal wrote:Interesting thead,

We applied in early November with my wife and son (almost 5 month), and we are in Pending status. The officer told us that a reply should come between 4 to 6 month. It seems to be a various rule apparently :)

Could you guys give an advice on our application based on the latest political climate in Singapore ?
1) Applied with Me + Wife + Son (2yo)
2) French nationality
3) Me: IT Manager in a Bank (salary 11.5k$)
4) Wife: ESD Consultant, Green Mark certified professional
5) In Singapore since 1.5y only (weak point I guess :()
6) Me holding Master degree in IT, Wife holding Bachelor degree in Science / building design
7) Cash flows incoming from France (we are moving our savings from France to Singapore in order to settle and try to buy something)
8) Current PEP holder (previous P1), Wife S-Pass and Son (PEP) DP

We are really hoping on PR status since we fell in love of Singapore and want to settle here, my wife would like to apply for a master degree here in sustainability and building design, and we are trying to save some money to try to buy an appartment.

Should we hold our breath or not hoping too much on it, and live our EP life ?
My application was similar to yours. My wife is working and our combined income is higher, plus we have been here 5+ years and have a 2nd child. I am white European too, but my wife is Filipino (but is in a very senior position). We were rejected outright after 1 year of waiting. Oh, and we have a $1m+ property already bought.

I think you will struggle as you haven't been in SG long enough, never mind the supposed blood-letting in the PR applications at the moment.

singsam

Post by singsam » Tue, 30 Jul 2013 7:29 pm

Hi, can any one suggest me when can i apply for PR as i am doing business in singapore.

Age 33
Indian (here i will miss the opportunity i think)
Spouse - in DP
Married - 4yrs
Son - 3yrs - studying in play group
Presently holding EP as director & S$5k/month.
NOA - filed 1year for 2012. this is 2nd year.
Director in two companies.
First SME has filed AGM for more than 3 yrs.
Second SME nill company.
Planning to start more import activity in 2nd company.

Am not applying for PR to get the taste of local buds. But this is truly for business activities.

With government sectors that PR or SPean only can access easily for any processing. That is the main reason made me to think about PR. If i get PR, it will be good..Dont get, too good. that's it. What else i can say...

Suggest me pls...
singsam

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 30 Jul 2013 7:39 pm

singsam wrote:Hi, can any one suggest me when can i apply for PR as i am doing business in singapore.

Age 33
Indian (here i will miss the opportunity i think)
Spouse - in DP
Married - 4yrs
Son - 3yrs - studying in play group
Presently holding EP as director & S$5k/month.
NOA - filed 1year for 2012. this is 2nd year.
Director in two companies.
First SME has filed AGM for more than 3 yrs.
Second SME nill company.
Planning to start more import activity in 2nd company.

Am not applying for PR to get the taste of local buds. But this is truly for business activities.

With government sectors that PR or SPean only can access easily for any processing. That is the main reason made me to think about PR. If i get PR, it will be good..Dont get, too good. that's it. What else i can say...

Suggest me pls...
In the current political climate, you have no hope being Indian at that salary. My personal opinion is you would need at least the new PEP requirements ($12k/month) before you'd have greater than fair chance of acceptance. Unless your wife happens to be Chinese (but not from Mainland China).

singsam

Post by singsam » Tue, 30 Jul 2013 8:00 pm

Hi zzm9980,
yes agree but i have invested more than 100k with my present company and am 50% share holder. So should have to calculate the profit also right?
And also am expecting some more import activity to invest in some other company where all shares are completely with me. Though i am from restricted origin to get a pr. still can meet their terms for investor to be offered.
What do you suggest or still no????
Instead of being here with all these difficulties, i could change my place now itself as i am not a employee expecting on monthly salary.
singsam

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 30 Jul 2013 9:00 pm

singsam wrote:Hi zzm9980,
yes agree but i have invested more than 100k with my present company and am 50% share holder. So should have to calculate the profit also right?
And also am expecting some more import activity to invest in some other company where all shares are completely with me. Though i am from restricted origin to get a pr. still can meet their terms for investor to be offered.
What do you suggest or still no????
Instead of being here with all these difficulties, i could change my place now itself as i am not a employee expecting on monthly salary.
When you've been here three years with the equivalent of 12k/month income I think you can try. I don't know how ICA calculates investment into a company (or if they even do it at all).

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Tue, 30 Jul 2013 9:52 pm

100k is nothing. Its not even the ABSD amount to buy a condo for a foreigner. May be a million is.

satsix

Post by satsix » Wed, 02 Apr 2014 10:33 am

Hi Friends,

I need your help on this.

I have recently applied for PR and it got rejected. Below is my profile,

Race: Indian
Profession: IT
Salary: SGD 6k+ per month (perm).
Singapore Stay: Working in Singapore since Aug 2008.
Tax: Paid/Paying my taxes since 2009.
Applied PR for my family: Myself, Wife, Son (3yrs).
Wife status - Dependent & House wife.

I applied PR on 5 Mar 2013 and i received the rejection letter after 1 year (28th March 2013) of waiting. I checked my PR status via online (inquiry date - 5 Mar 2014) and the next day my PR was rejected. The letter doesnt state any reason.

Questions:
1. Can I do an appeal for my application?
2. Should I wait for 6 months and apply for PR?
3. This time, can i apply PR only for me or together as family?

Your guidance and suggestions are well appreciated.

Thanks.
Satsix

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Wed, 02 Apr 2014 10:51 am

satsix wrote:Hi Friends,

I need your help on this.

I have recently applied for PR and it got rejected. Below is my profile,

Race: Indian
Profession: IT
Salary: SGD 6k+ per month (perm).
Singapore Stay: Working in Singapore since Aug 2008.
Tax: Paid/Paying my taxes since 2009.
Applied PR for my family: Myself, Wife, Son (3yrs).
Wife status - Dependent & House wife.

I applied PR on 5 Mar 2013 and i received the rejection letter after 1 year (28th March 2013) of waiting. I checked my PR status via online (inquiry date - 5 Mar 2014) and the next day my PR was rejected. The letter doesnt state any reason.

Questions:
1. Can I do an appeal for my application?
2. Should I wait for 6 months and apply for PR?
3. This time, can i apply PR only for me or together as family?

Your guidance and suggestions are well appreciated.

Thanks.
Satsix
If the rejection doesn't say anything about reapply after X number of years, very likely you don't stand a chance any more and you should start planning to move to better place before your EP expires/EP renewal gets rejected.

Unless you increase your salary, have better qualifications, and have your wife to work (either one or all).

Just my opinion.

satsix

Post by satsix » Wed, 02 Apr 2014 11:35 am

Thanks Lynx. I'm on PEP valid until Dec 2014. Honestly I wanted to stay/live in Singapore and doesnt wish to relocate anyplace. There will be a definite increase in my salary but it would be gradual.

Since my application is waited for 1 yr plus, can i go for appeal?

thanks
Satsix

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 02 Apr 2014 12:17 pm

The appeal only makes sense if something is substantially different from what you included to the original application. If you want to make you appeal case based on your willingness to stay here it is not going to work.

Local Talent

Post by Local Talent » Wed, 02 Apr 2014 2:21 pm

I would not suggest an appeal , just be patient and reapply in about a year or so. don't give up hope. The number of PR status given out in 2013 was 30,000
that's an average of 2,500 a month. In the meanwhile try to upgrade yourself
or join the PA and do some volunteering work , or be a grassroot member.

neolaw

Post by neolaw » Tue, 15 Jul 2014 9:32 am

Can foreigners join PA? Where to start? What can i do? Get PR or not, it's a good idea to be in touch with the community and give back things i can give back.

Since i have a passion card, do i just go down to cc and inquire or any procedure?

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Tue, 15 Jul 2014 9:44 am

neolaw wrote:Can foreigners join PA? Where to start? What can i do? Get PR or not, it's a good idea to be in touch with the community and give back things i can give back.

Since i have a passion card, do i just go down to cc and inquire or any procedure?
Technically you're already a PA member by having Passion card. You can try log into the OnePA website.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 15 Jul 2014 10:22 am

Actually, you cannot join the PA. You can apply for a Passion Card but that is not full membership into the People's Association. In fact, as a foreigner you cannot be an Executive Member (regular member) of the RCs that fall under the PA. You can only be "an observer" but not a full member. PRs, on the other hand, can join as Executive (Regular Members) but are prevented from holding any "Offices" like Chairman, Treasurer, Auditor, Secretary, etc.

Also, like everything else, once the PR seekers find out what helps, they abuse it until it no longer hold any value for those who follow. Charitible organizations and the RC/PA thing now has little stroke with ICA as too many joined and as soon as they got their PR, were never seen again at the meetings or functions. So, once more, ICA as wised up to the ploy. So, unless you actually like doing this stuff and would do it without any benefits from it, please don't bother. The organizations don't need those types. Yes, I'm an RC member of over 5 years standing, but I've been a PR over 20 years. My kids are adults and I don't own a car so there is nothing to be gained by my doing so, except for the fact that I actually like helping my community. ;-)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

the lynx
Governor
Governor

Post by the lynx » Tue, 15 Jul 2014 11:07 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Actually, you cannot join the PA. You can apply for a Passion Card but that is not full membership into the People's Association. In fact, as a foreigner you cannot be an Executive Member (regular member) of the RCs that fall under the PA. You can only be "an observer" but not a full member. PRs, on the other hand, can join as Executive (Regular Members) but are prevented from holding any "Offices" like Chairman, Treasurer, Auditor, Secretary, etc.

Also, like everything else, once the PR seekers find out what helps, they abuse it until it no longer hold any value for those who follow. Charitible organizations and the RC/PA thing now has little stroke with ICA as too many joined and as soon as they got their PR, were never seen again at the meetings or functions. So, once more, ICA as wised up to the ploy. So, unless you actually like doing this stuff and would do it without any benefits from it, please don't bother. The organizations don't need those types. Yes, I'm an RC member of over 5 years standing, but I've been a PR over 20 years. My kids are adults and I don't own a car so there is nothing to be gained by my doing so, except for the fact that I actually like helping my community. ;-)
Ah I stand corrected.

Yes PAssion Card only gives you half membership or something of that sort. Like discounts to join some activities or classes.