Singapore Expats

PR wanna be, would be or will never be. Read this

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
neolaw

Post by neolaw » Tue, 15 Jul 2014 8:57 pm

Thanks for the answer.

I'll see what I can do.

My rationale is that when NUS gave me the scholarship (tuition-fees plus monthly stipend and travel allowances), there was no string attached (no bond, no obligation, no contract, no nothing).

So whether ICA respect this or not, I'll see what I can do (I have more free time this year compared to previous year and more in the next year).

opera

Post by opera » Wed, 15 Oct 2014 11:34 am

Hello All,

could you please estimate the approval chance for this PR application?

Race: Caucasian (German), 34 yrs old
Profession: Engineering Director (nanotechnologies)
Salary: SGD 10k per month.
Wife status: Singaporean Chinese (married for 1 year), 34 yrs old.
Singapore Stay: never worked in Singapore. We both work overseas (Germany).
Applied PR for my family: Myself only
No kid yet.

Thank you in advance and good luck to all PR applicants!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 15 Oct 2014 12:00 pm

You have a specialized niche that they would definitely be interested in. Hopefully x9200 (another of the Moderators of this site) will see this and maybe give you some clues as I believe that is his field as well. Surface Technologies (?) or some such. So, if the need, by the government, is there, it may well happen. Another of our regulars here, Saint, got his PR while still in the UK several years ago (Wife is also Singaporean and both working in the UK and no children at that time). So it's definitely a possibility.

Good Luck.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

opera

Post by opera » Wed, 15 Oct 2014 4:20 pm

Thank you very much for your prompt response.

The Ref
Chatter
Chatter

Post by The Ref » Wed, 15 Oct 2014 10:40 pm

Wd40 wrote: 1. ... My take on this is, these jobs wont remain in Singapore. They are going abroad along with the FTs. Those indirect low skill jobs that locals were doing will also disappear so locals will become even more unhappy. You are talking as if corporations here dont have a choice... Most jobs in the salary range that you are talking about and done by FTs are jobs in MNC companies. These jobs can quickly move and are already moving to other low cost locations.
Reading through the old posts (haven't read the recent so don't know if this has been mentioned) WD40 was right on the money. I had a few Singapore Citizen colleagues who were against the FT taking jobs here. All 3 were managers of many of these mid/Upper low level FTs. Those roles held by the FTs were moved to India, and the surprise and dismay of the locals also losing their jobs (the management roles also went to India) was interesting. From slightly afar it was obvious, but none of them foresaw the effect of making the lower roles difficult to keep in Singapore.

It reminds me of the saying "be careful of what you wish for".

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 16 Oct 2014 8:03 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:You have a specialized niche that they would definitely be interested in. Hopefully x9200 (another of the Moderators of this site) will see this and maybe give you some clues as I believe that is his field as well. Surface Technologies (?) or some such. So, if the need, by the government, is there, it may well happen. Another of our regulars here, Saint, got his PR while still in the UK several years ago (Wife is also Singaporean and both working in the UK and no children at that time). So it's definitely a possibility.

Good Luck.
It's not really a niche but it is sort of preferred area and although the glamour of the nano- (buzz) word died already long time ago in scientific communities, it is still and often a synonymous of cutting edge technologies, also in Singapore. In that sense it may help a bit.

opera

Post by opera » Fri, 17 Oct 2014 11:07 pm

thanks x9200 for your sharing your view.

hieund85

Re: PR wanna be, would be or will never be. Read this

Post by hieund85 » Thu, 02 Apr 2015 4:13 pm

Hi All,

Could you please give me advice and estimate the approval chance for the following PR application?
Race: Vietnamese 30 years old
Monthly salary: SGD 8k
Qualification: PhD in Electrical Engineering (Power System/Wind energy)
Profession: R&D engineer (Renewable energy)
Apply PR for my family: myself, wife (28yo) and son (1.5yo)
Wife status: Dependent & housewife
Length of Singapore stay: more than 1 year

Thank you very much!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 02 Apr 2015 4:37 pm

Anything is possible, but probably not until you have been here at least two full tax years (3 tax assessments). The worst that they can say is "no but you are welcome to stay and work on your EP." They may reject but tell you to reapply after you have been here two years. No guarantee of success, but generally a good sign.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

hieund85

Post by hieund85 » Mon, 06 Apr 2015 1:45 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Anything is possible, but probably not until you have been here at least two full tax years (3 tax assessments). The worst that they can say is "no but you are welcome to stay and work on your EP." They may reject but tell you to reapply after you have been here two years. No guarantee of success, but generally a good sign.
Thank you very much for the advice!

damp0001

Post by damp0001 » Sat, 13 Jun 2015 9:45 pm

I have booked appointment to apply for PR and now collecting documents. Im also following Masters in NTU. Can anyone advice whether on going educational qualifications can be included in PR application form?
Last edited by damp0001 on Sun, 27 Dec 2015 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: PR wanna be, would be or will never be. Read this

Post by ecureilx » Sat, 13 Jun 2015 10:45 pm

damp0001 wrote:I have booked appointment to apply for PR and now collecting documents. Im also following Masters in NTU. Can anyone advice whether on going educational qualifications can be included in PR application form?
Why would you not include it ? Just wondering ....

damp0001

Re: RE: Re: PR wanna be, would be or will never be. Read this

Post by damp0001 » Sat, 13 Jun 2015 10:50 pm

Because, im only half way down on it. Only 50% completed as of now
Last edited by damp0001 on Sun, 27 Dec 2015 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: PR wanna be, would be or will never be. Read this

Post by ecureilx » Sat, 13 Jun 2015 10:53 pm

damp0001 wrote:
ecureilx wrote:
damp0001 wrote:I have booked appointment to apply for PR and now collecting documents. Im also following Masters in NTU. Can anyone advice whether on going educational qualifications can be included in PR application form?
Why would you not include it ? Just wondering ....

Because, im only half way down on it. Only 50% completed as of now
You are supposed to show stuff that improves your chance. Not showing your masters doesn't do justice ...especially when doing it in NTU

damp0001

Post by damp0001 » Sat, 13 Jun 2015 11:01 pm

NA
Last edited by damp0001 on Sun, 27 Dec 2015 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.