Singapore Expats Forum

Applying for an Employment Pass on back of Partners Business

Discuss your views about Singapore business & economy, current policies & issues, starting a business in Singapore.

Sponsored by:
Citibank International Wealth Management

Posts: 1
Joined: Mon, 16 Jul 2012

Applying for an Employment Pass on back of Partners Business

Postby ebanbury » Mon, 16 Jul 2012 6:02 pm


I have a slightly different angle here, which I haven't been able to find answers to in the topics already out here.

Basically I want to incorporate my own business.. this is not a problem.

However I'm on a LTSV pass and would like the Director/Shareholder to be the person whose Employment Pass I'm attached to.

I've been told that this would really not give me a good chance of getting my own Employment Pass application approved, once the company is incorporated, on the grounds that MOM would just see this as trying to dodge applying for an EntrePass.

This is partly true, as I can not envisage being able to meet the renewal criteria of the EntrePass - namely the large investment you have to make and the employing of 2 local staff.

So my question out there is - does anyone have any experience with trying to incorporate a business with your partner/spouse as the other director/shareholder - and then successfully applying for an Employment Pass (not Entrepass). If so I would really appreciate some information on the set-up etc.

Many many thanks liz

User avatar
Posts: 35309
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 16 Jul 2012 11:55 pm

It's not going to happen. Been tried and found wanting too many times. But, please don't let us stop you from trying. Be sure to let us know how you go. We like anecdotal evidence to be able to give to the next one that comes along but doesn't like our answers.

User avatar
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon, 15 Nov 2010
Location: 28 Maxwell Road, #03-05 Red Dot Traffic Building,Singapore

LTVP starting work

Postby togeorgemathew » Fri, 20 Jul 2012 2:18 pm

Hi Liz,

You have two routes both of which are simpler than an Entrepass:

a) Your partner starts a start a sole-proprietorship and applies for a Letter of Consent (LOC) under your LTVP. LOC's on LTVP's are being approved by MOM despite statements to the contrary on their site.

b) Your partner starts a private limited company and applies for a LOC for you under it.

The difference between option a & b is that of scalability and limitation of liability. Sole proprietorships are generally chosen by freelancers while private limited companies are chosen when the business is expected to grow bigger than one person.

  • Similar Topics
    Last post

Return to “Business in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests