Singapore Expats Forum

General sports questions: Tennis, cycling, soccer, yoga

Find your sports & recreational partners & Teams here.
JamesOb

General sports questions: Tennis, cycling, soccer, yoga

Postby JamesOb » Sun, 15 Jul 2012 6:30 pm

Dear all,
Just moved to Singapore from Rome, Italy and I have a number of questions about sports activities, equipment, etc. I've been told that Sportslink is the place to go for almost all my needs.

1) Tennis: looking for partners to play and somewhere to purchase equipment. Hopefully the apartment we find will have a court.

2) Cycling: I need to buy a new push-bike, something decent but not overly expensive. Looking for a hybrid that I can ride to work and use on the weekends.

3) Football/soccer: want to find a place get all my football gear and more importantly a weekly match. Nothing too competitive, just looking for a good run-about

4) Yoga: primarily looking to find a place to buy a good yoga mat, but wouldn't mind finding a good yoga studio as well.

Okay, I know this is a mouthful, but I figure that if someone answers even one of these questions then I'm doing well!

Thanks in advance.

James O.

gardenia

Postby gardenia » Mon, 16 Jul 2012 5:46 pm

You can find most of the sporting equipment except bicycles at sports shops like Sportslink, World of Sports and Royal Sporting House. Alternatively, you can also go to Queensway Shopping Centre. There are many smaller sports shops there, but they usually sell a wider range of sporting equipment and at a lower cost.

For bicycle, I used to get mine from Rodalink. The shops are located in Commonwealth and Jurong. I'm not sure if they have branches anywhere else.

I suppose if you want better quality yoga mats, you can get them from yoga studios, like Hom yoga in orchard and raffles place.

JamesOb

Postby JamesOb » Mon, 16 Jul 2012 10:15 pm

Dear Gardenia,
Thanks so much for the detailed response.

I headed over to Suntec and found both Royal Sporting House and Carrefour. Between the two of them, I found a lot of what I was looking for (including a yoga mat!).

And you're right, on my way home on the MRT, I saw the Rodalink shop at Commonwealth. Looks good!

In fact, I'm near the Buona Vista stop; where is the nearest Sportlink to me?

Thanks tons!

-J.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Re: General sports questions: Tennis, cycling, soccer, yoga

Postby the lynx » Mon, 16 Jul 2012 11:23 pm

JamesOb wrote:Dear all,
Just moved to Singapore from Rome, Italy and I have a number of questions about sports activities, equipment, etc. I've been told that Sportslink is the place to go for almost all my needs.

1) Tennis: looking for partners to play and somewhere to purchase equipment. Hopefully the apartment we find will have a court.

2) Cycling: I need to buy a new push-bike, something decent but not overly expensive. Looking for a hybrid that I can ride to work and use on the weekends.

3) Football/soccer: want to find a place get all my football gear and more importantly a weekly match. Nothing too competitive, just looking for a good run-about

4) Yoga: primarily looking to find a place to buy a good yoga mat, but wouldn't mind finding a good yoga studio as well.

Okay, I know this is a mouthful, but I figure that if someone answers even one of these questions then I'm doing well!

Thanks in advance.

James O.

You can also try World of Sports aside from Sportslink and RSH. They're pretty much everywhere. Your nearest outlet would be in Clementi Mall or Tiong Bahru Plaza.

JamesOb

Postby JamesOb » Tue, 17 Jul 2012 7:31 am

Thanks, both Clementi Mall and Tiong Bahru Plaza are pretty close to my house, I'll take a look this week!