Singapore Expats

Can anyone recommend licensed solemniser?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Kailin

Can anyone recommend licensed solemniser?

Post by Kailin » Fri, 13 Jul 2012 2:15 pm

Hello,

My partner and I have been living together in Singapore for more than 6 years and would like to get married. Both us are from Europe. We are not religious, but would still prefer a small meaningful ceremony with just a few friends.

Can anyone recommend a licensed solemniser?

Thanks.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 13 Jul 2012 2:35 pm

"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

Kailin

Post by Kailin » Fri, 13 Jul 2012 3:14 pm

Dear Nakatago,

Thansk for the swift reply. My first stop was ROM - I already went through their website.

Rather than just picking someone from the list, I was wondering whether anyone could refer someone?

Thanks.

QueensG

Post by QueensG » Fri, 13 Jul 2012 3:46 pm

My wife and I had Dr Tan Tee Phua, I think he is one of the most popular ones. Very talkative, funny and friendly, took about 20 minutes. He is very experienced and will eyeball both you and the guests and effortlessly adapt his speech. I have been to other ROMs where the solemniser just showed up, read/stuttered the required statement from a piece of paper, and left. The groom didn't even kiss the bride. (Apparently that's not a requirement?)

We are not religious either. Dr Tan's ceremony will probably meet your definition of "meaningful", but not in the "no smiles, dead serious" way. It is the happiest day of your lives, and he is definitely going to make everyone laugh and be happy.

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Fri, 13 Jul 2012 6:27 pm

I totally read the title incorrectly first off, I thought "People do that professionally?" It's amazing what a little letter makes.

I have nothing further to add to this. Hey, it's Friday!
nutnut

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 13 Jul 2012 8:23 pm

Just for nutnut:

SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Sat, 14 Jul 2012 9:28 am

Thanks SMS...
nutnut

Kailin

Post by Kailin » Mon, 16 Jul 2012 8:43 am

Thanks QueensG for the referral. Will contact Dr Tan Tee Phua - hopefully he has still some time slots available.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 16 Jul 2012 9:44 am

Kailin wrote:Thanks QueensG for the referral. Will contact Dr Tan Tee Phua - hopefully he has still some time slots available.
you can approach RWS, I believe Sands also does - they have a list of 'professional' solemnisers .. ;) ;)

And package the whole deal "professionally"

mere mortals like me trusted ROM's own solemniser ..

bluenose
Chatter
Chatter

Post by bluenose » Mon, 16 Jul 2012 10:46 am

We were married recently by Chia Swee Tin and the amount of feedback we got from guests was amazing about her ceremony!

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter

Post by JayCee » Mon, 16 Jul 2012 4:09 pm

I second Dr Phua, he did my wedding last year and was excellent. He was recommended to us by a friend. You have to mail him though as he doesn't give out his phone number, from reading the various wedding forums in Singapore I'm not surprised as he'd probably get 100 calls a day from all the Kiasu tai-tais-to-be :shock:
I HAVE MASTERS!