Singapore Expats Forum

Considering Singapore - How is the Social life and dating?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Tony3d
Member
Member
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue, 24 Jul 2012
Location: Arizona
Contact:

Postby Tony3d » Fri, 27 Jul 2012 6:44 am

the lynx wrote:Ah I still love the good old style of poems. Zen Pencils' way of illustrating poems and quotes gives a refreshing outlook, which I believe more suited to people his age.


I remeber this poem well enough that my brain read it in its original rythem even wiith the stanzas slightly broken up visualy.

x9200 wrote:What I am trying to say is that what is in your private life is a part of the same equation so maximizing your career in expense of the former will unlikely make you a happy guy at the end of your life. The other way it does not work as well so a balance is needed but it does not mean there is one right way and this is by giving your career unrivaled priority.


Ya, but in the end I think I am just using my career as an excuse, and would probably fail miserably either way regardless of what I chose to do. I am just making excuses as to not accept the fact that maybe I am just not good enough.

The thing is, I am good at what I do, but just tired of being alone.

morenangpinay wrote:wow. this stuff is long :lol:

You are very serious about this. anyway my advice is you need to work on your confidence in being alone, because you will always be alone where ever you are because you can't place your happiness on other people.

about the girls you mentioned, maybe you are looking at the wrong type of girls? in any country i believe girls will be the same, and if you keep being anti-social even though you aren't comfortable with being alone, you will always have the same result no matter which country you move to.


I just had the spontanious idea to run away from my problem and go somewhere else in the world where girls might see me as interesting or exotic. Honestly, I just kindof want the attention...

I know it sounds silly, but hey, my crazy ideas may not go anywhere, but I always learn something when I start looking into it and doing my research.

Richard North
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed, 18 Jul 2012
Location: Newton
Contact:

Postby Richard North » Fri, 27 Jul 2012 6:31 pm

In Singapore, or any other East Asian country for that matter, you will need to speak plain English. Given the fast pace and nil output of art and literature in modern Asian mega-cities, poetry is unlikely to be appreciated.

Beyond these womens' ears, your hygiene and dress sense must be impeccable, nasal hair must be trimmed, BUT standard Western flirting rules can be applied in terms of applying aftershave, lightly touching arms, and inviting a woman to dine.

With humour, ambition, interesting tales from the West, and an open wallet, you may get to date a neighbourhood woman living in a HDB. If your hair is black or brown, this helps. Singaporean women like a man who does not look European/American in her neighbourhood.

The latter is because mixed-race couples receive many glances and stares if the man is overwhelmingly black or white as opposed to Oriental. Brown/black hair and a light tan thus helps your blending in.
amazon.com/author/rc

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Fri, 27 Jul 2012 6:45 pm

Rarely have I read such borrocks. I cannot fathom what social segment or age group of foreigners you are seeking to advise, pensioners from Wales who've never traveled abroad?

'nasal hair must be trimmed'

I laughed out loud at that. A) because it is nonsense, what are you expecting a nostril inspection? and B) because the guy in question is in his early 20's.



All... very ... weird... :? !

User avatar
Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1791
Joined: Sat, 19 Jun 2004
Location: Kinto Pino

Postby Mi Amigo » Fri, 27 Jul 2012 6:48 pm

I wondered whether Swiss Toni had joined the forum.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBw-aEixWuo
Be careful what you wish for

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Fri, 27 Jul 2012 7:32 pm

:lol:

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 890
Joined: Mon, 02 Mar 2009

Postby morenangpinay » Mon, 30 Jul 2012 6:16 pm

Richard North wrote:In Singapore, or any other East Asian country for that matter, you will need to speak plain English. Given the fast pace and nil output of art and literature in modern Asian mega-cities, poetry is unlikely to be appreciated.

Beyond these womens' ears, your hygiene and dress sense must be impeccable, nasal hair must be trimmed, BUT standard Western flirting rules can be applied in terms of applying aftershave, lightly touching arms, and inviting a woman to dine.

With humour, ambition, interesting tales from the West, and an open wallet, you may get to date a neighbourhood woman living in a HDB. If your hair is black or brown, this helps. Singaporean women like a man who does not look European/American in her neighbourhood.

The latter is because mixed-race couples receive many glances and stares if the man is overwhelmingly black or white as opposed to Oriental. Brown/black hair and a light tan thus helps your blending in.


what the..did you happen to write the Good housewife guide in the 1950s as well?

http://www.snopes.com/language/document/goodwife.asp

Richard North
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed, 18 Jul 2012
Location: Newton
Contact:

Postby Richard North » Thu, 02 Aug 2012 11:34 pm

JR8 wrote:I laughed out loud at that. A) because it is nonsense, what are you expecting a nostril inspection? and B) because the guy in question is in his early 20's.
All... very ... weird... :? !


Guys, presuming you have an SG Chinese wife or GF, you may be surprised if you ask her whether nasal hair is desirable or not - mine loves stubble but hates nasal hair - others will like a clean shave - but the nasal hair should never be excessive. The thread is about the social and dating scene, and if you feel SG females don't look at the cut of the shirt, the design of the shoes, and the overall grooming on a white man, you're on cloud cuckoo land (or have a Polynesian/Filipina wife/GF as opposed to Oriental). Thanks and all the best.
amazon.com/author/rc

Richard North
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed, 18 Jul 2012
Location: Newton
Contact:

Postby Richard North » Thu, 02 Aug 2012 11:41 pm

morenangpinay wrote:
what the..did you happen to write the Good housewife guide in the 1950s as well?

http://www.snopes.com/language/document/goodwife.asp


Guys I presume you are on a trading desk dealing with colleagues with clipped English. My background is credit control and trust me calls within SG / MY / TH need to be in VERY clear but plain English. This also translates to dating a neighbourhood girl (which mine is - 3 yrs going strong) as their lexicon is not quite as broad, and the Singlish will be heavily Hokkiened. Bravo zulu if you have wives and GFs with MBAs working in Finlayson Green or Robinson or Shenton - lucky chaps. Cheers and all the best.
amazon.com/author/rc

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Thu, 02 Aug 2012 11:47 pm

I'd vouch that not many men in their early 20's have visible nasal hair coming out of their nostrils.

... Oh never mind I understand you're here to promote your book rather than discuss the merits of it's content :)
Last edited by JR8 on Thu, 02 Aug 2012 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
v4jr4
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 887
Joined: Mon, 09 Jul 2012
Location: Chocolate Factory

Postby v4jr4 » Thu, 02 Aug 2012 11:48 pm

Well, I assume that not all the women in Singapore are like that :?

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6842
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Fri, 03 Aug 2012 8:58 am

JR8 wrote:I'd vouch that not many men in their early 20's have visible nasal hair coming out of their nostrils.

... Oh never mind I understand you're here to promote your book rather than discuss the merits of it's content :)


Hah I didn't realize what you were talking about until I saw his signature.

Despite that being a link to Amazon, I'd say it's probably NSFW for most. Mods may want to act on that.

edit:
funny, I now have to question the credentials of Mr Richard here:
"And Richard is a Caucasian expatriate who's unusually faithful given the temptations out there in Asia."

So is he full of shit in these posts, or full of shit in the Amazon book summary? :cool:

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35160
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 03 Aug 2012 1:30 pm

He's probably full of poo on both.

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5272
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Postby the lynx » Fri, 03 Aug 2012 1:41 pm

To be honest, I didn't even notice that link, let alone bother to find out that he is in fact a writer.

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6842
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Fri, 03 Aug 2012 4:27 pm

the lynx wrote:To be honest, I didn't even notice that link, let alone bother to find out that he is in fact a writer.


I'd suggest using that term rather loosely.

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 890
Joined: Mon, 02 Mar 2009

Postby morenangpinay » Fri, 03 Aug 2012 5:39 pm

i was being sarcastic..i did'nt know he was actually a writer.lol i didnt even click the link. but I wonder what kind of writer would post like that??

plus any writer would know this statement isnt true.."Given the fast pace and nil output of art and literature in modern Asian mega-cities, poetry is unlikely to be appreciated" :o


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests