Singapore Expats

Considering Singapore - How is the Social life and dating?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
JayCee
Reporter
Reporter

Post by JayCee » Thu, 19 Jul 2012 11:01 am

QRM wrote:it works both ways you often see Asian men with real western mingers, same story so long as she has blonde hair, blue eyes and fair skin they get all weak at the knees. Even though they are real chavets from some sink estate.
That's very true
I HAVE MASTERS!

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter

Re: Considering Singapore - How is the Social life and datin

Post by morenangpinay » Thu, 19 Jul 2012 11:39 am

Richard North wrote:
including many of the most attractive office working professionals from PRC, Thailand, Vietnam and Malaysia. ..
all in the running for the trophy wife title.

Richard North

Post by Richard North » Fri, 20 Jul 2012 4:39 pm

QRM wrote:The yellow fever can make you blind, lol the problem is that once you been out here long enough you can distinguish Asian mingers, but if you straight off the boat from Europe then if they have long black hair, short, and brown that's good enough, it works both ways you often see Asian men with real western mingers, same story so long as she has blonde hair, blue eyes and fair skin they get all weak at the knees. Even though they are real chavets from some sink estate.
The woman who might be regarded as a munter or minger in the looks department in the typical non-banking SG office can have a pleasant character underlying the external structure. I wouldn't say this was the same for a blonde chavette from Wickford as the "furious attitude" could be "unsettling".

HOWEVER - guys this doesn't mean I'm welded in marriage to a munter... PS The Yellow Fever generally claims peoples' lives through disorientation between the Polynesian, Oriental and Indo-Chinese...SG is almost as much of a Tower of Babel as Thailand nowadays...
amazon.com/author/rc

Tony3d

So... What do you think of my chances?

Post by Tony3d » Tue, 24 Jul 2012 4:16 pm

Ok, so I am about to graduate from college and I have been considering moving to another country for a few years or maybe more while I am still young. I just want to expereince something different and not spend my whole life in the same place.

I am a 3d artist, with most of my expereince in building environments for videogames, and according to my research, there is a growing market for 3d artists like myself in Singapore. So it is currently toward the top of my list of countries I am considering.

So, I am 22, and it is really immportant to me that if I end up somewhere, I will be able to find a girlfriend. I am not one to date alot, and I am most definatly not just looking for easy sex, I just don't want to be in a country without any family and be unable to meet girls to hang out with.

So I am wondering if you guys think my chances are any better or worse in Singapore as opposed to other parts of the world. Please be honest, because if it isn't a good fit for me it is best to know before I put any more time into applying for jobs there.

I am 22 years old, I am going to be a college graduate looking for a job in Interactive and Digital Media, so I am not some rich foreigner that is well established.

I figured I might have an advantage if I chose Asia over Europe because I am white with light brown wavy hair and hazel eyes, so in Asia I would be considered different and maybe more exotic, as opposed to the norm if I went to Europe. I am also a bit short by the standards in my country, but would be slightly above average in an Asian country.

I am not one of those people that wants to go to Asia because they have some sort of Asian fetish, I want to go there because it has a growing Interactive Media market. I don't care if I am meeting other foreigners or local girls or Chinese or Malay or whatever, I just want to meet a girl. If I was moving somewhere because I have a particulare preference in girls it would be in South America, not Asia.

I don't have good luck with girls at all where I am from, but I am not bad looking by any means, not incredible, but not bad. I am in good shape and have 6 pack abs unless I ate too much that month... My biggest disadvantage is I am a bit short and girls in this country care a whole lot about that. I also don't fit in very well with the whole social/party scene in this country and have met girls pretty much only through school and work.

I am not a loud or abnoxious person but can be pretty outgoing with people I get a chance to talk to, I struggle with starting random conversations though. I want to actually date a girl and make her happy, not be a pushover and get used, but just a normal healthy relationship. I am not looking for one night stands or anything like that.

I am born and raised in the United States of America, I am from Oklahoma and spent my college years in Arizona if that makes a difference.

But sorry for being long winded, I would really appreciate it if you could tell me how you think the dating scene would be for someone like me in Singapore as opposed to other countries you have expereince with. It is an immportant variable in my decision on what to do after college.

Also, I am a pretty good guitar player, so are there good places for musicians to play small shows in Singapore?

Thanks,

Anthony
Last edited by Tony3d on Tue, 24 Jul 2012 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nakatago

Re: So... What do you think of my chances?

Post by nakatago » Tue, 24 Jul 2012 4:33 pm

Tony3d wrote:...
First, you are a fresh grad with no work experience yet? There are a lot of multimedia arts graduates in Singapore so you'd be competing against them. If you read further, hiring foreigners involves costs that some companies are not willing to bear and with the anti-foreigner sentiment lately, they'd much hire locals.

Try job hunting first.

But dating; sure no problem.

Also, the rest of your post, TL;DR.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

Tony3d

Post by Tony3d » Tue, 24 Jul 2012 4:45 pm

nakatago wrote:
I am not sure what that means... TL;DR?

I totally understand that about the job market, this industry is competitive coming right out of school no matter where you go, but I just wanted to research what places I want to spend my time trying to apply for jobs. I'm not going to put in the effort to look for employment in places that I wouldn't be happy living in.

But back to the dating and social scene, easier or harder than other countries that are advanced enough to have digital art industries? In your opinion of course.

Thanks

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter

Post by morenangpinay » Tue, 24 Jul 2012 4:49 pm

put it this way, if you cant find a job, you wont find any date like everywhere else. So what nakatago is saying here is everything would depend on you getting a job over here. And if you don't have any experience yet, it would be harder for you to enter the industry in Singapore. So...in conclusion, dating easy but finding job is hard.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Tue, 24 Jul 2012 4:49 pm

Tony3d wrote:
nakatago wrote:

I totally understand that about the job market, this industry is competitive coming right out of school no matter where you go, but I just wanted to research what places I want to spend my time trying to apply for jobs. I'm not going to put in the effort to look for employment in places that I wouldn't be happy living in.

But back to the dating and social scene, easier or harder than other countries that are advanced enough to have digital art industries? In your opinion of course.

Thanks
Standard of living in Singapore is subjective to your experience in your home country. How much do you have to earn to stay comfortable? That would be your question. The most ideal situation is that you get a expat package instead of a local package from your prospective employers.

Try job hunting and get a ballpark figure of what they are offering you. Then compare it to living costs in Singapore (there are many threads about it which you can look for using the forum's search function). Then you decide if you wanna make it or break it.

As for dating and social scene, there is always one in every country. I wouldn't put high hopes here beyond reasons and sensibility but hey - this is where I meet my current boyfriend ;-)

v4jr4
Reporter
Reporter

Post by v4jr4 » Tue, 24 Jul 2012 4:55 pm

Tony3d wrote:
nakatago wrote:

Thanks
TL;DR = Too Long; Didn't Read (possibly 9gagger detected :lol: )

As for the job, the competition is everywhere. I got some friends who work as 3D artist, and most of them failed (almost miserably) to look for a job in Singapore. So, they decided to stick around for a year or two in their hometown for levelling up. There is, however, 1 guy, talented enough (or so it seems), go to Australia as 3D artist (previously, he was playing with Maya in Singapore and pretty successful), and now, he's good to stay there.

Tony3d

Post by Tony3d » Tue, 24 Jul 2012 4:59 pm

I totally get what you guys are saying, I have done alot of research on that other stuff, and if I decide that Singapore is one of my better options I will be doing exponentially more research into this stuff.

I am just in the phase of narrowing things down to a short list of countries I will look further into.

But I am just asking about the dating scene because it is the only thing I have not been able to find a good answer on with the rest of my research. So if I could get as much info as you can on that side of things that would be great.

Trust me, I am not putting this as a priority, I am just asking this and only this because it is the only question I can't find on job related websites that I visit.

Not being alone is super important to me at this point in my life, so I just want to know this to narrow down places I look for jobs.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 24 Jul 2012 5:00 pm

Tony3d wrote:Ok, so I am about to graduate from college and I have been considering moving to another country for a few years or maybe more while I am still young. I just want to expereince something different and not spend my whole life in the same place.

I am a 3d artist, with most of my expereince in building environments for videogames, and according to my research, there is a growing market for 3d artists like myself in Singapore. So it is currently toward the top of my list of countries I am considering.

So, I am 22, and it is really immportant to me that if I end up somewhere, I will be able to find a girlfriend. I am not one to date alot, and I am most definatly not just looking for easy sex, I just don't want to be in a country without any family and be unable to meet girls to hang out with.

So I am wondering if you guys think my chances are any better or worse in Singapore as opposed to other parts of the world. Please be honest, because if it isn't a good fit for me it is best to know before I put any more time into applying for jobs there.

I am 22 years old, I am going to be a college graduate looking for a job in Interactive and Digital Media, so I am not some rich foreigner that is well established.

I figured I might have an advantage if I chose Asia over Europe because I am white with light brown wavy hair and hazel eyes, so in Asia I would be considered different and maybe more exotic, as opposed to the norm if I went to Europe. I am also a bit short by the standards in my country, but would be slightly above average in an Asian country.

I am not one of those people that wants to go to Asia because they have some sort of Asian fetish, I want to go there because it has a growing Interactive Media market. I don't care if I am meeting other foreigners or local girls or Chinese or Malay or whatever, I just want to meet a girl. If I was moving somewhere because I have a particulare preference in girls it would be in South America, not Asia.

I don't have good luck with girls at all where I am from, but I am not bad looking by any means, not incredible, but not bad. I am in good shape and have 6 pack abs unless I ate too much that month... My biggest disadvantage is I am a bit short and girls in this country care a whole lot about that. I also don't fit in very well with the whole social/party scene in this country and have met girls pretty much only through school and work.

I am not a loud or abnoxious person but can be pretty outgoing with people I get a chance to talk to, I struggle with starting random conversations though. I want to actually date a girl and make her happy, not be a pushover and get used, but just a normal healthy relationship. I am not looking for one night stands or anything like that.

I am born and raised in the United States of America, I am from Oklahoma and spent my college years in Arizona if that makes a difference.

But sorry for being long winded, I would really appreciate it if you could tell me how you think the dating scene would be for someone like me in Singapore as opposed to other countries you have expereince with. It is an immportant variable in my decision on what to do after college.

Also, I am a pretty good guitar player, so are there good places for musicians to play small shows in Singapore?

Thanks,

Anthony
You'll find the graphics market extremely competitive and hard to break into. The main effects libraries are owned by MNC's. The grunt work is being done in Indonesia, Vietnam, China... where salaries are lower.

Darthcoder
Regular
Regular

Post by Darthcoder » Tue, 24 Jul 2012 5:02 pm

Tony3d wrote:I totally get what you guys are saying, I have done alot of research on that other stuff, and if I decide that Singapore is one of my better options I will be doing exponentially more research into this stuff.

I am just in the phase of narrowing things down to a short list of countries I will look further into.

But I am just asking about the dating scene because it is the only thing I have not been able to find a good answer on with the rest of my research. So if I could get as much info as you can on that side of things that would be great.

Trust me, I am not putting this as a priority, I am just asking this and only this because it is the only question I can't find on job related websites that I visit.

Not being alone is super important to me at this point in my life, so I just want to know this to narrow down places I look for jobs.
If you are white, you shouldnt have a problem finding a date/girlfriend.
I am back I am back I am back I am back You know I am back. Everybody stand up!

v4jr4
Reporter
Reporter

Post by v4jr4 » Tue, 24 Jul 2012 5:09 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
You'll find the graphics market extremely competitive and hard to break into. The main effects libraries are owned by MNC's. The grunt work is being done in Indonesia, Vietnam, China... where salaries are lower.
Without experience, I suggest to write-off Indonesia from the list. Several reasons:
1. Lower salary (just like you described)
2. Political situation, especially in Jakarta. Bandung or Yogyakarta is different. Still, point 1 is valid no matter what.
3. Environment. I know several cases which foreigners went to hospital due to food poisoning. Well, no poison involved. Only bacteria.

As for dating, well, in Indonesia, you will have a lot of chances.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 24 Jul 2012 5:10 pm

Tony3d wrote: But I am just asking about the dating scene because it is the only thing I have not been able to find a good answer on with the rest of my research. So if I could get as much info as you can on that side of things that would be great.
What is it about the SGn dating scene that you are wondering about?

Tony3d

Post by Tony3d » Tue, 24 Jul 2012 5:10 pm

So being a white American with light hair and green eyes is going to be a major advantage? Even if I don't have lots of money?

Regardless of what country I decide to go to, I plan on living as cheap as possible, I don't need extravagant fancy things to be happy, just some people to talk to, a guitar to play, and a computer to do my artwork on.

Does anyone know about the oportunity for musicians to play small shows locally?