Singapore Expats

Considering Singapore - How is the Social life and dating?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
v4jr4
Reporter
Reporter

Post by v4jr4 » Wed, 25 Jul 2012 11:34 am

nakatago wrote:Not as a practically fresh grad he won't. Australian companies prefer that you're already there before even interviewing you. But Tony being as young as he is, will have some difficulty qualifying for a visa on his own. He can certainly try but shouldn't get his hopes up. Moreover, he'll be competing with locals and the numerous Indians, Pakistanis, Filipinos and Chinese who are way ahead of him migrating to Oz, all with working experience. He can try going for a working holiday visa but that will let him only work up to 6 months per employer. But who knows? He may get lucky.
Well, working experience does matter, even in Singapore. Apart from "seeing the other side of the world", levelling up is more important. Tony3d, consider it as your preparation before facing the boss :lol:

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 25 Jul 2012 11:34 am

the lynx wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:For your case, I would highly recommend picking a country and going there to teach English. (I'd recommend China, and strongly recommend against Korea or Japan, based on anecdotes from those who have done the same and personal preferences) Your budget will actually be better comparatively (more spending money), and you'll be in a much better position to actually meet open minded people and experience local culture. (Not just for dating either)
To add on, I'd recommend Vietnam and Thailand too. Based on my backpacking experience and meeting gazillion Westerners who are/were teaching English there.
Yeah, they work too. I usually push China because of the language experience likely being more useful for future career, but there's definitely nothing wrong with either of those.

Also, since I'm reading your mind on your next question, no, you don't need to know the native language fluently to join and teach in any of these programs. Three months of self-study, a community college class, and/or a tutor off craigslist and anyone of average intelligence will have enough Mandarin to thrive in that environment.

Tony3d

Post by Tony3d » Wed, 25 Jul 2012 12:48 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
Try LA then. Lots of game studios and cute hispanic girls.

Singapore is a different experience, but not the place I'd recommend for someone like you looking for what you say you're looking for. If you come to Singapore, it will be as a "hopping off" point to visit other places in South East Asia. But with the budget you're likely to have (if you can even get a job+pass, that's a real challenge honestly in this case), that may be cost prohibitive.

For your case, I would highly recommend picking a country and going there to teach English. (I'd recommend China, and strongly recommend against Korea or Japan, based on anecdotes from those who have done the same and personal preferences) Your budget will actually be better comparatively (more spending money), and you'll be in a much better position to actually meet open minded people and experience local culture. (Not just for dating either)
I already have a list of over 30 studios in LA I will be applying for, and about another 50 or 60 across California. But California isn't any different culture from being in Phoenix. I will almost certainly end up in Cali, I totally understand that, but that doesn't mean I am only going to apply there.

I understand it is a slim shot, and I am not expecting anything at all. I just figure it is worth a shot. Having worked in other countries around the world would be a nice thing to have on my resume.

China is another place on my list, but I am not sure on the possibilites of me working in the 3d art industry without speaking any Mandarin. I need to get some expereince in my field if I ever want to be eligible for the good jobs out there. I also don't have time to learn even the fundamentals of Mandarin beforehand, because I have to be putting together my portfolio for graduation and sending out resumes to some 15 different States and 10 countries... However, I am still very much considering it, just going to be doing some more research on that in the coming weeks.

But anyways, thanks for all the information.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 25 Jul 2012 3:42 pm

Tony3d wrote: China is another place on my list, but I am not sure on the possibilites of me working in the 3d art industry without speaking any Mandarin.
Correct, that's likely not to happen. Looks like you're going to have to make a choice soon between your career and desires to 'experience the world while you're young'. I know what i chose back then and I know what I'd choose now, but you need to figure that out for yourself. good luck!

Tony3d

Post by Tony3d » Wed, 25 Jul 2012 4:08 pm

zzm9980 wrote: Correct, that's likely not to happen. Looks like you're going to have to make a choice soon between your career and desires to 'experience the world while you're young'. I know what i chose back then and I know what I'd choose now, but you need to figure that out for yourself. good luck!
Well, I've known for a long time now that what I chose to go to school for was a very bad idea, but it is what it is, and I am just trying to find a way to make the best of it.

The search to find a place where I can be happy and use my degree must go on.

I very much appreciate the information, thank you all.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 25 Jul 2012 5:06 pm

Tony3d wrote: Well, I've known for a long time now that what I chose to go to school for was a very bad idea, but it is what it is, and I am just trying to find a way to make the best of it.
Why?

We all live and learn. You are never too old to start over. I did at 30 and again at 48.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Tony3d

Post by Tony3d » Wed, 25 Jul 2012 5:50 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Tony3d wrote: Well, I've known for a long time now that what I chose to go to school for was a very bad idea, but it is what it is, and I am just trying to find a way to make the best of it.
Why?

We all live and learn. You are never too old to start over. I did at 30 and again at 48.
Well... that is a very complicated matter that I could talk about for hours on end, but since this isn't the "wine about my personal career choice problems" forum, I will keep it short.

I am cool with the fact the it is a very competitive market, because I am confident in my own abilities and inteligence and I know I can do the quality of work required to get a good job.

The problem I have is that it has totally killed my social life. I didn't have much of one to begin with, and all the girls I ever met were from my school or work, so now that I am spending all my time doing game art related stuff I have basically a 0% chance of meeting a girl, and I simply don't want to be alone anymore. (there are no girls in the game industry in this country, and girls where I am from don't really want anything to do with game artists)

So I go on my silly little search for a country to run away to, but in the end I will end up in California and face my problems instead of running away.

But hey, researching stuff has never hurt anyone, the more knowledge you have the better off you are. No knowledge is bad knowledge in my opinion.

And I still plan on applying in countries around the world and see what happends, never hurts to try something new either.

Richard North

Re: So... What do you think of my chances?

Post by Richard North » Thu, 26 Jul 2012 12:01 am

Tony3d wrote:Ok, so I am about to graduate from college and I have been considering moving to another country for a few years...
1. Malay ladies are usually from big, big families and there are a great many Malay singles who offer the comfort of a long-term relationship. If you have already been circumcised and are happy to convert to Islam, a great many older expats in the neighbourhoods (as opposed to central, B/Timah or E/Coast condos) have been married to Malays for years.

2. Chinese Singaporean women I would simply advise taking a look at the match.com or other sites to get a "ball park" estimate from abroad. I'm in a relationship with an older local Chinese Singaporean and have been for three years, and I met her at a nightclub, but this is a way of meeting a woman which can go either way, as not all ladies are looking for a long term boyfriend in a bona fide nightclub - sometimes they are out for a "sampling" of angmo - even in the remoter KTV lounges.

3. Indian Singaporean ladies are often "taken" as they are often humorous, speak English, and rare.

4. Caucasian women are usually wives, bankers, lawyers, tourists, marketeers, accountants, consultants or ToEFL teachers.

{sanitized by moderator}
amazon.com/author/rc

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Thu, 26 Jul 2012 8:32 am

Tony3d wrote:...and girls where I am from don't really want anything to do with game artists
Oh good lord!

What is wrong with the girls? Are they into Justin Bieber or Nicki Minaj's music or read - scratch that - watch Twilight by chance?

:roll:

Tony3d

Post by Tony3d » Thu, 26 Jul 2012 9:02 am

the lynx wrote:
Tony3d wrote:...and girls where I am from don't really want anything to do with game artists
Oh good lord!

What is wrong with the girls? Are they into Justin Bieber or Nicki Minaj's music or read - scratch that - watch Twilight by chance?

You know my country all too well.

But it is more that there is a strong anti-brain movment going on in this country where being a drunken party girl makes you some kind of hero.

And in the end, even the girls who do have that desire to learn and create don't have any desire to have anything to do with guys that do this kind of work either. They usually go meet some guy that they only partially like, but they are too scared to move on that they end up with him for life.

But that is my own personal problem I need to eventually learn to deal with. I don't want to start sounding like some Emo who is all sad and depressed because he is alone, I will just put in the work and find more answers.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 26 Jul 2012 9:18 am

the lynx wrote:
Oh good lord!

No, I think Tony3d is just sheltered. I've met plenty of girls who would meet the criteria he's looking for in the states. He's just not looking in the right places honestly.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 26 Jul 2012 9:21 am

(Tony3d) Did you miss the irony in the lynxe's message or did I missed something? Anyway, do not expect Singapore to be a panacea for this sort of problems as I don't really think the younger generations here are that different. They are only painted differently. You will not only be facing an intellectual degringolade but also cultural differences.
Last edited by x9200 on Thu, 26 Jul 2012 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 26 Jul 2012 9:21 am

Tony3d wrote: But it is more that there is a strong anti-brain movment going on in this country where being a drunken party girl makes you some kind of hero.

And in the end, even the girls who do have that desire to learn and create don't have any desire to have anything to do with guys that do this kind of work either. They usually go meet some guy that they only partially like, but they are too scared to move on that they end up with him for life.

But that is my own personal problem I need to eventually learn to deal with. I don't want to start sounding like some Emo who is all sad and depressed because he is alone, I will just put in the work and find more answers.
I think you're trying to pass off your own personal experience / lack of success as fact, which is an ignorant (in its own way) thing to do. It makes you just as guilty of being part of that "anti brain" movement you're talking about as the drunken party girls I think you exaggerate the quantity of. And if you're really worried about "anti brain", this might not be the right place for you to look for love.

Move out of Arizona to a real city and I think you'd be happy. One of the coasts, or Chicago, would do you wonders. Before then, spend six months backpacking abroad to get your cultural fill.

Tony3d

Post by Tony3d » Thu, 26 Jul 2012 9:47 am

zzm9980 wrote:
I think you're trying to pass off your own personal experience / lack of success as fact, which is an ignorant (in its own way) thing to do. It makes you just as guilty of being part of that "anti brain" movement you're talking about as the drunken party girls I think you exaggerate the quantity of. And if you're really worried about "anti brain", this might not be the right place for you to look for love.

Move out of Arizona to a real city and I think you'd be happy. One of the coasts, or Chicago, would do you wonders. Before then, spend six months backpacking abroad to get your cultural fill.
The ironic thing is how well I understand my own illogical behavior, and will aproach an idea I truly know is illogical in a rational and logical way...

At least through my stupid ideas I learn a thing or two.

I don't really view being ignorant as a negative thing, it just means I have something else I need to learn. Being ignorant and curious is good, being ignorant and thinking you know everything is bad.

But in the end I am just angry and bitter that I spent the last 4 years of my life doing something that is now preventing me from being happy.

So as much as I would like to run away from my problems, I will eventually just face them and go back to California.

and for the record, Phoenix is a real city...
x9200 wrote:(Tony3d) Did you miss the irony in the lynxe's message or did I missed something?
I totally got it, I don't think my sarcasm about my own country came off as clear, but that is probably my own fault.
zzm9980 wrote: No, I think Tony3d is just sheltered. I've met plenty of girls who would meet the criteria he's looking for in the states. He's just not looking in the right places honestly.
I guess that depends on what you mean by "sheltered". If the fact that I have been spending way too much of my time working instead of going out and socializing and meeting girls, so I have very little expereince, then I couldn't agree more.

If you are saying that I lack other life expereinces then in that case your assumption would be wrong.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Thu, 26 Jul 2012 10:03 am

Umm I may be wrong but doesn't it sound like you're putting girls in higher priority than your career prospects in your decision-making?

I'd say that you should be proud of what you're doing, rather than thinking that your current path is the reason that no girl would ever want you - that's pathetic!

Go out there and brave the world with what you once wanted to do - the women will come eventually; I mean the right ones.

And you're just 22, for heaven's sake! Not 32!