Moules Frites ?

Share your favourite eating haunts!
Post Reply
Travailes
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 227
Joined: Wed, 04 May 2011 7:47 pm

Moules Frites ?

Post by Travailes » Fri, 06 Jul 2012 1:26 pm

Can anyone recommend a Belgium-style bar for moules frites and beer ? Fancy a night out that is a bit different. Cheers.
You can be a king or a street sweeper, but everyone gets to dance with the grim reaper.

Darthcoder
Regular
Regular
Posts: 84
Joined: Fri, 27 Jan 2012 7:38 pm
Location: Boon Keng

Post by Darthcoder » Fri, 06 Jul 2012 1:29 pm

Here

http://brusselssprouts.com.sg/

They never have Duvel in stock though :mad:
I am back I am back I am back I am back You know I am back. Everybody stand up!

Travailes
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 227
Joined: Wed, 04 May 2011 7:47 pm

Post by Travailes » Fri, 06 Jul 2012 1:35 pm

Darthcoder wrote:Here

http://brusselssprouts.com.sg/

They never have Duvel in stock though :mad:
Thanks. Looks good.
I see they sell Duvel Belgian Golden Ale @ 20 bucks a bottle (oouch!).
Good job it's not in stock - I'd be broke !!

ps Out of their two outlets - which has the better atmosphere ?
You can be a king or a street sweeper, but everyone gets to dance with the grim reaper.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 38301
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 2
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 06 Jul 2012 2:51 pm

I'd have to say the one on Robertson Quay as it's right on the river and also in the Quays where there are other nightspots so no need to drive from one to the other to make a night of it.
Life isn't about avoiding the bruises. It's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it!

User avatar
Zeenit
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 603
Joined: Wed, 02 Apr 2008 9:50 pm
Location: Singapore

Post by Zeenit » Fri, 06 Jul 2012 3:32 pm

We went last night, food below average, Price WAY ABOVE AVERAGE WITH AN OUCH!!!
one bottke wine, 2 starters, 4 mains, 4 beers =$400.00
Zeenit

Darthcoder
Regular
Regular
Posts: 84
Joined: Fri, 27 Jan 2012 7:38 pm
Location: Boon Keng

Post by Darthcoder » Fri, 06 Jul 2012 3:58 pm

Yeah, the prices are insane. 22 Dollars for a RocheForte (11%).
The best bet would be go by 6PM and just stick to Leffe Blonde/Hoegaarden/Stella (Which are about 8.5 during the happy hour).

I had Belgian beers after an year so didnt mind spending 200 just on the beers :oops:
I am back I am back I am back I am back You know I am back. Everybody stand up!

User avatar
Zeenit
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 603
Joined: Wed, 02 Apr 2008 9:50 pm
Location: Singapore

Post by Zeenit » Fri, 06 Jul 2012 4:00 pm

The beer was Blonde :???: :???: :???:
Zeenit

Darthcoder
Regular
Regular
Posts: 84
Joined: Fri, 27 Jan 2012 7:38 pm
Location: Boon Keng

Post by Darthcoder » Fri, 06 Jul 2012 4:15 pm

Haha yeah one of the most famous beers is Leffe Blonde (Lighter than Leffe Brune/Brown). It is listed under Draught Beers on their website too. Used to buy it for 2 Euros and have to buy the same for 12 dollars here :mad: .

Why is alcohol so costly here :cry:
I am back I am back I am back I am back You know I am back. Everybody stand up!

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8342
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009 11:23 pm
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children

Post by nakatago » Fri, 06 Jul 2012 4:18 pm

Darthcoder wrote:Why is alcohol so costly here :cry:
Supposedly to discourage drinking so that people will not get drunk and get into fights or cause trouble for other people. Sin tax.


:roll:

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16516
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 12:43 pm
Location: K. Puki Manis

Post by JR8 » Fri, 06 Jul 2012 5:37 pm

I have eaten at Brusselssprouts. I found the mussels small and over-cooked, and the 'gravy' uninspiring. I had a standard moules mariniere, but the wine used was too sweet so the gravy had no bite at all. My wife had something with garlic and cream (IIRC) and it was just rather blah...

My overriding impression was a restaurant taking a very cheap basic ingredient (mussels) and then cooking them wrongly and sending them out for top-$.

It is a shame because a good bowl of mussels is a wondrous thing (we had some in Europe recently at a beer-hall, vast bowls, about 2kgs each!, at euro12). I appreciate the question is getting them on a night out... but I'd remind mussel lovers in SG that Cold Storage stocks fresh green-lips at $2.25 a kilo. Talk about value for money, and cooking them at home means you can get them just right. On a number of occasions I've cleaned out Cold Storage, broken out my lobster pot and cooked up a trawler load of green-lips with a couple of fresh baguettes for a cheap easy and delicious communal hands on dinner with friends.

A restaurant that can't cook it's signature dish correctly is a real bug-bear for me. It's like an Italian that overcooks it's pasta [basement, City Hall]. There's no going back... as such.

User avatar
Zeenit
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 603
Joined: Wed, 02 Apr 2008 9:50 pm
Location: Singapore

Post by Zeenit » Fri, 06 Jul 2012 6:27 pm

JR8 wrote:I have eaten at Brusselssprouts. I found the mussels small and over-cooked, and the 'gravy' uninspiring. I had a standard moules mariniere, but the wine used was too sweet so the gravy had no bite at all. My wife had something with garlic and cream (IIRC) and it was just rather blah...

My overriding impression was a restaurant taking a very cheap basic ingredient (mussels) and then cooking them wrongly and sending them out for top-$.

It is a shame because a good bowl of mussels is a wondrous thing (we had some in Europe recently at a beer-hall, vast bowls, about 2kgs each!, at euro12). I appreciate the question is getting them on a night out... but I'd remind mussel lovers in SG that Cold Storage stocks fresh green-lips at $2.25 a kilo. Talk about value for money, and cooking them at home means you can get them just right. On a number of occasions I've cleaned out Cold Storage, broken out my lobster pot and cooked up a trawler load of green-lips with a couple of fresh baguettes for a cheap easy and delicious communal hands on dinner with friends.

A restaurant that can't cook it's signature dish correctly is a real bug-bear for me. It's like an Italian that overcooks it's pasta [basement, City Hall]. There's no going back... as such.

I am so with you on this post. :o :o
Zeenit

Travailes
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 227
Joined: Wed, 04 May 2011 7:47 pm

Post by Travailes » Mon, 09 Jul 2012 2:16 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I'd have to say the one on Robertson Quay as it's right on the river and also in the Quays where there are other nightspots so no need to drive from one to the other to make a night of it.
I was lead to believe one was at Robertson the other on the East Coast Park ?
Generally views seem negative on this outlet - anywhere else that offers authentic Moules Frites on that basis then?
You can be a king or a street sweeper, but everyone gets to dance with the grim reaper.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16516
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 12:43 pm
Location: K. Puki Manis

Post by JR8 » Mon, 09 Jul 2012 2:27 am

Another suggestion here.... http://www.oosters.com.sg/food-menu/

I haven't tried it though, just a Google.



ps. re: Brusselsprouts have a look at
http://www.hungrygowhere.com/singapore/ ... s_sprouts/

Ignoring the kind of people who seem happy just eating anything, look at what the critics have to say. hmmm ...

Darthcoder
Regular
Regular
Posts: 84
Joined: Fri, 27 Jan 2012 7:38 pm
Location: Boon Keng

Post by Darthcoder » Mon, 09 Jul 2012 10:43 am

JR8 wrote:Another suggestion here.... http://www.oosters.com.sg/food-menu/

I haven't tried it though, just a Google.



ps. re: Brusselsprouts have a look at
http://www.hungrygowhere.com/singapore/ ... s_sprouts/

Ignoring the kind of people who seem happy just eating anything, look at what the critics have to say. hmmm ...
Thanks for the Oosters link, I am checking it out next!
Agree with the -ve reviewers on the fries. The fries are not really fries but wedges (but it made no difference to me as I am a glutton :roll: ). But still those were not the authentic belgian fritjes. I am a veggie so the only food I had was the fries/wedges. Oosters beer menu looks great too but have to check out their prices (No happy hour would make Leffe Blonde here a bit more costlier than that at Brussels Sprouts I guess). I'll go and checkout the prices there, lets hope the prices are cheaper than at the sprouts :?
I am back I am back I am back I am back You know I am back. Everybody stand up!

young.chinese.guy
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed, 04 Jul 2012 10:22 pm

Post by young.chinese.guy » Mon, 09 Jul 2012 11:20 pm

In my opinion, Brusselssprouts is overrated and overpriced.

Post Reply

Return to “Wine & Dine”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests