Singapore Expats

Legally married couple in Canada and status in Singapore

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
friendlybossy

Legally married couple in Canada and status in Singapore

Post by friendlybossy » Thu, 05 Jul 2012 11:55 am

Hi, my friend has been asking me on a rather confusing situation. 5 years ago, my friend was transferred to Singapore from Canada, he then became Permanent resident here in Singapore in 2009, at that time he was single, 3 months after became PR, he got married with his gay spouse in Canada, this is legal there but not here. The couple adopted a child last year and they are legal parents of the child in Canada. Now that the spouse and his child are planning to move to Singapore, given that they are legally wed, and the child was legally adopted, can both of them be eligible for LTSVP under family sponsorship? My friend is an executive director of a large MNC and earning more than 60K a month excluding allowance and bonus.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 05 Jul 2012 12:27 pm

Theoretically, as the union is considered a legal one in the home country, and the child is legally adopted, also in the home country, I see no reason why the Singapore government would not grant them LTVPs, at least initially. Whether or not they would every be approved for PR is another story though.

I have a strange feeling that the government's magnanimity might not extend quite that far. I don't have any anecdotal evidence to support this, but having been here for a couple of years it makes sense to me, especially if the figures you quoted are correct. If he's been legally married in Canada for two years, I think I'd go for it.

IMHO. (me? humble?) :o :lol:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers