Singapore Expats Forum

The Weekenders

Events and gatherings for the 20's Club
Akimbo
Reporter
Reporter

Onsight Climbing, Sunday July 28th

Postby Akimbo » Sun, 28 Jul 2013 1:47 am

Short notice, but...if you read this in time, and you're keen for it, come along and find me at 2 PM this Sunday 28/7

Simply put, we are going to Onsight for some indoor top-rope climbing.

Here's the gist of it,

Venue: Onsight Climbing Gym http://onsight.com.sg/
Address: 100 Guillemard Road, Guillemard Village, Singapore 399718
Cost: $16 all day climbing entry, $5 climbing shoe rent, $6 harness and belay device rent. TOTAL $27 for all day climbing. (First time of me going to Onsight...gotta find out whether it's true or not though...)

Experience on climbing not needed for you to just have fun climbing and just hang with new friends.

Experience IS needed for you to belay anybody, as it involves the safety of both the belayer and the climber.

If you have the Level 1 Singapore climbing license already, then we can belay each other, if not you can still come along and I can belay you to the top instead.

Just contact me via PM or phone xxxxxxx if you're interested.
Last edited by Akimbo on Mon, 27 Oct 2014 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My thread...The Weekenders If you need my e-mail address, it's in the first post of the thread.

Akimbo
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Akimbo » Tue, 30 Jul 2013 5:13 pm

Sorry Andy, I won't be in Singapore for some time. Can't join that meetup.
My thread...The Weekenders If you need my e-mail address, it's in the first post of the thread.

Akimbo
Reporter
Reporter

Yamakasi Workshop, and Semeru Trip!

Postby Akimbo » Thu, 12 Sep 2013 2:51 pm

It has been some time since I last posted something here. So let me post a double-whammy! Plans for the next two weeks back-to-back!

1.) YAMAKASI Workshop (21-22 September)

http://www.eventzilla.net/web/event?eventid=2138980932

Above is the link for it.

Here's the info from the site:

THE YAMAKASI EXPERIENCE

We are thrilled to announce that, for the first time in Singapore, 2 original members of the Yamakasi will be conducting a workshop!

While no introduction is needed, the Yamakasi is the original Parkour group that created, developed and popularized Parkour as the Art du Deplacement (Art of Displacement). Chau Belle and Laurent Piemontesi are among the most active from the original group, giving workshops around the world. To sum it up, here is what you can expect:

2 full days of unique experience with the people who initiated Parkour in the suburbs of Paris and some of the best coaches out there.
Indoor and outdoor trainings in some of the lesser known spots around Singapore with some surprises
Open to all levels: From beginners to advanced, everyone is guaranteed to get something out of these 2 days of amazing experience.

Dates: 21+22nd September 2013

Time: 10am–6pm

Where is it: Venue(s) will be announced soon

Why should I attend?
Chau Belle and Laurent Piemontesi are amazing coaches and mentors. Beyond the obvious technical skills, it is a mindset, a philosophy that help understand how it all started and evolved into what it is today.
For complete beginners, it is the perfect opportunity to be introduced to movement, being able to explore what the body can do using a completely safe methodology.
For the advanced practitioners, training and sharing with these coaches will undeniably have a tremendous impact on how we perceive our trainings and discipline.

What do I need to bring:
Just comfortable clothing, running shoes and plenty of water. Have plenty of sleep and eat well the day before.

How much does it cost:

1 day: S$60 (Early bird @$50 until August 22nd)

2 days: S$90 (Early bird @$80 until August 22nd)

I already bought the tickets for the two days, and am psyched to try it out! 2 whole days of running and jumping in urban Singapore!! :cool:

-------------------------------------------------

2.) Mt. Semeru trip! (28 Sep - 3 Okt)

ftopic96893.html

http://www.meetup.com/SINGAPORE-INTERNA ... 136215322/

It only costs 442 SGD inc. the flight tickets!

Flying off on Saturday, start the tour on Sunday morning, and finish up on Wednesday afternoon.

Trick is...there's only time period of flying to and fro from SG to Surabaya.

If you don't mind taking connecting flights, you can return to SG on the same day, Wednesday 2 Oct. If not, you return on Thursday 3 Oct.

Or, you can come with me and head on to Yogyakarta, and join another Meetup group from Singapore there!

Here's the info I've written down in the Meetup site.

Day 2 to 5 is fixed by the travel agent.

Update 12/9/2013:

I changed it to waiting list, so better to control the amount of people in. I'm targeting, maximum 8 people. I have 4 in already as of now. 5th person will be confirming/cancelling on Monday :), so hurry up! First one to deposit (you can transfer me the money or meet me in person. I prefer the latter, so we can get to know each other a bit) will be confirmed.

I already bought my flight ticket, AirAsia QZ8502, 28/9, 1110. No return ticket yet for me, as I'm still thinking on where should I go after the trekking...

UPDATE:

I just gotten word from the agent. the 900K IDR/106 SGD cost is for locals only...foreigners has to pay 180 USD (apparently must be in dollars)

Update 11/9/2013:

I will need a $100 deposit, that will be used to book your place in the tour.
Please text me at xxxxxx and I will add you to the whatsapp group.

UPDATE 27/8/2013:

Day 1 accommodation plans updated.

Rp 900,000 tour cost is unfortunately fixed for a minimum of 6 people. More people does not make it cheaper.

Hi people,

we're looking to beef up the group to go on a trekking trip to the highest point of Java Island, Indonesia. To go up there, we need a guide, and I'm settling with the tour coordinator on it.

Here's our itinerary.

Day 1:

Travelling from Changi Airport to Surabaya Djuanda Airport, then to Malang for 2 hours with a private travel bus (approx Rp 70,000/ S$ 8 for) or with a local bus (approx Rp 15,000/S$ 2). We will spend the night at a local homestay, will cost approximately Rp 150,000/S$ 17.6 per person, with a shared double bed. I'm looking for single rooms accomodations, but it's slightly difficult to obtain a cheap one for now. Free program.

Day 2:

Meet the guides in the morning (0700), and we begin the road trip to Tumpang (1 hour). From Tumpang we transfer to Ranupane village (1.5 hour) that will be our Trekking starting point. Lunch (on your own) and after that we begin our trekking to Ranu Kumbolo lake. (3 hour)

We'll stay in a tent for the night there. Dinner's by the tour.

Day 3:

Breakfast/brunch, and then we continue our trekking to Kalimati, the largest camp site before the last hike on to the summit of Mahameru. (3 hour) we will stop there and rest until early morning.

Day 4:

Early morning (0200) wake up call, and we will hike up the 3,676 m summit. (3 hour estimation) We rest on top, watch the sunrise, take pictures and so forth, then we return down to Kalimati (< 3 hours). Pack up all our stuff, and we trek back to Ranu Kumbolo. Tent up, and spend the night by the lake again.

Day 5:

We trek back from Ranu Kumbolo to Ranu Pane, and finally return to Malang. The maximum arrival time is 1700, but most likely we will arrive after lunch time.

IMPORTANT:

There's only one time for flying for all the budget airlines out of Surabaya to Singapore, which is only around 0730. So most likely we will need to stay one more night in Surabaya, and go back on October 3rd, so the total trip is actually 6D 5N...

Unless you want to take a connecting flight to Jakarta. It is possible to arrive on the same day, though at night time.

At this point, you may ask for another (faster) trip to the beautiful Bromo mountain, or go back to Surabaya to fly back to Singapore, OR follow me and spend the weekend at Yogyakarta, via train ride (I am still thinking about whether to do this, as train tickets can be sold out...)

The trekking tour costs 900,000 IDR/106 SGD per pax (for min 6 people) price includes:

-Insurance

-Mountain Guide

-Porter for groups (1:4)

-Groups equipment

-Tent

-Cooking set

-Mattresses

-Meal during trekking

-Medical kit

-National Park entry ticket

-Local transport to and fro Malang-Ranupane

Not included in the 106 SGD:

- Airfare (Approximately S$ 120-150)

- Malang accomodation (1 night)

- Surabaya to Malang transportation (there are busses that cost around 60,000 IDR per person)

- Meal before and after the trekking

- Indonesian Airport Tax 150,000 IDR

What YOU need to bring:

-Trekking Gear

-Backpack 30L max (according to the tour, but if you're an avid trekker you know what's best)

-Sleeping bag

-Change of clothes (d'oh)

-Jacket (it can go under 4 degrees Celsius at the top)

-Flashlight (rec. to wear Headlights)

-IMPORTANT Balaclava/facemask or some kind of mask (Semeru is an ACTIVE VOLCANO. There will be dust clouds)

-Trekking pole

Approximate total cost for Indonesian locals:

Flight + 1N @ Malang + Travel Tour + Food + Tax

$150 + $25 + $106 + $20 + S$17

S$ 318

Approximate total cost for Foreigners:

$150 + $25 + $230 + $20 + S$17

S$ 442

Depending on the forex rate, the cost will be higher or lower in Sing dolars, as the rest needs to be paid in IDR.

You can contact me at xxxxx, and if you're keen, I'll put you in the Whatsapp group.

That is all! Have a great weekend y'all!
Last edited by Akimbo on Sat, 11 Apr 2015 7:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

DJaye25

Postby DJaye25 » Mon, 23 Sep 2013 9:51 am

hey guys! could somebody post the facebook version of this group to this thread? thanks!

Akimbo
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Akimbo » Mon, 23 Sep 2013 10:37 am

There is none...find the 20's Looking For Friends instead. I put these up there.

Akimbo
Reporter
Reporter

Pulau Ubin Trip, 15/10/2013

Postby Akimbo » Wed, 09 Oct 2013 8:36 pm

Hey guys and gals.

During the Hari Raya Haji holiday, some of us aren't going anywhere from Singapore (Specifically me, JustSee and v4jr4 AFAIK) and another member of the forum had made a suggestion to visit Pulau Ubin.

ftopic98012.html

I'll be going there no matter what as long as it doesn't rain cats and dogs. So here's my current plan.

Date: Tuesday, Oct 15, 2013
Time: 09.00
Venue: UPDATED Tanah Merah MRT (use gothere.sg)
Cost: $12.5 (2.5 for 12-people bum boat, 10 for full day bicycle rent) ++ (drinks and stuff over there)

I also got 4 Deals.com.sg deals to be used over there for Kayaking...

Things to bring? Maybe a bottle of water, mosquito repellant, and sunscreen.

We'll be going through some rainforest and beaches. And I think Chek Jawa Wetlands would be a good destination.

Here are things to do on the island according to the website:
1) cycling to various destinations on the island
2) mountain biking at purpose designed tracks with routes of varying degree of difficulty
3) visit to chek jawa which is at the eastern tip of Pulau Ubin - about an hour on foot or about 40 minutes riding a bicycle or about 10 minutes by a van ($4-$6 per person each way)
4) tracking on the island - following the road and established paths
5) bird watching
6) nature photography and nature walk , including the specially designed sensory trail

So yeah, definitely only for nature lovers and photographers. :wink:

I'll be updating the info again in the near future if there's any change.

You can contact me if you're interested at *******.

Cheers and have a great week ahead!
Last edited by Akimbo on Mon, 17 Nov 2014 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Akimbo
Reporter
Reporter

Sentosa Spooktacular 2013

Postby Akimbo » Tue, 29 Oct 2013 10:15 am

Hey y'all!

So Sentosa Spooktacular is going for its final weekend, and there's just one day left to go there. (as Saturday is already sold out) I'm putting up the event here if any of you would like to go there but perhaps no friends brave enough to go with you. I'm currently trying to get some of my regular forum members of the Weekenders to face their fears and come along.

Date: Friday, 1 Nov 2013
Meeting time: 6.00 pm
Meeting venue: Harbour Front MRT/Vivo City
Cost: $66.6 http://www.spooktacular.com.sg/tickets.aspx

Buy the tickets online yourself, and come along with us!

You can contact me at ********.

Cheers and have a good long weekend ahead!
Last edited by Akimbo on Mon, 17 Nov 2014 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

penasam

Postby penasam » Sat, 23 Nov 2013 9:45 pm

Hi guys. Any gatherings happening soon? I'm new here, and hoping to meet people. :)

26/F

Akimbo
Reporter
Reporter

Captain America Winter Soldier - 9 April 2014

Postby Akimbo » Mon, 07 Apr 2014 3:29 pm

Hey y'all,

it's been some time since I posted here...anyway, let's chill out on a Wednesday and meet some new friends (and old).

We'll be going for a movie night and perhaps continue onwards with some dinner and drinks (depends on the consensus of the group)

Movie: Captain America, Winter Soldier
Day: Wednesday, 9th April 2014
Meetup time: 7.00 pm
Cost: 10 bux for the movie

I will tell you the meetup place (will definitely be in city central area) if you're keen to join us.

You can contact me at ********.

I want good seats and I don't want the group to be separated, so I will be buying the tickets online beforehand. If you'd like to come join us, tell me before 12 pm tomorrow (8 April) and I'll book the ticket for you and you can pay me when we meet.

If you're late to contact me, you can buy the tickets yourself and join us on the day. I'll tell ya where we're sitting.

PS. If you had booked with me, and you are a no-show, you're blacklisted.

PSS. If I already know you, and you're a no-show, you owe me a double shot of Yamazaki 18 years whisky, mate :cool:
Last edited by Akimbo on Mon, 17 Nov 2014 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Akimbo
Reporter
Reporter

An Inside Job?

Postby Akimbo » Mon, 26 May 2014 1:05 pm

Hey y'all,

This event is strictly for FOB people, or people who'd like to solve mysteries...nahh, I'm just (half-)kidding :P new people to Singapore or ones who've been here all their lives, you can come along.

http://theinsidejob.com.sg/

My synopsis of the event:
An improv theather, where YOU get to be a part of the event! We'll be going through SG's popular hangout, and apparently solve some mysteries while we're at it. So kind of like the Amazing Race, but without all the running. Think of it like...a pub crawl, if you may.

My Booking time: Tuesday, June 3rd, 2014; 2100 hours
The Inside Job start time: Saturday, June 7th, 2014; 1600 hours
Price: $60/person
Inc: Snacks and drinks (alcoholic and non-alcoholic)
Duration: 3 hours

I'm going to be making one group for the tour, and we already have the minimum 4 people party members for it. (maximum 10) If any of you are interested, please text or whatsapp me via phone number xxxxx, or contact me at adji_arioputro@yahoo.com before the booking time

PS. If you had booked with me, and you are a no-show, you're blacklisted.

PSS. If I already know you, and you're a no-show, you owe me a double shot of Yamazaki 18 years whisky, and a Johnnie Walker Blue, mate :cool:[/b]
Last edited by Akimbo on Sat, 11 Apr 2015 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mio Okawa

hello. I saw your message

Postby Mio Okawa » Mon, 02 Jun 2014 8:48 pm

hello. I am MIO
you sent message to me.
thank you so much.

sorry I dont know how to use the website.
is it correct?

I would like to join this event.

i want to make friend oppotunies.

thank you.

zac59

Postby zac59 » Sat, 11 Oct 2014 11:56 pm

hello,

are there any upcoming events or meetups?

cheers

Akimbo
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Akimbo » Mon, 13 Oct 2014 9:16 am

Nothing big anytime soon, but I just thought of a few stuff to bring up in this thread today...stay tuned!

Akimbo
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Akimbo » Tue, 14 Oct 2014 9:12 am

It has been some time since I last posted something here. So let me post a double-whammy! Plans for the next two weeks back-to-back!

1.) Gone Girl Movie Night (TODAY)

Sorry to be last minute on this. I was too busy to put it up yesterday.

Timing: Oct 14th, 1930-ish

Rottentomatoes critique score: 87% out of 233 reviews
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/gone_girl/

Critique's Consensus: Dark, intelligent, and stylish to a fault, Gone Girl plays to director David Fincher's sick strengths while bringing the best out of stars Ben Affleck and Rosamund Pike.

If you're interested, let me know. I'll be buying the tix online arnd 3 pm today, so we can book together. PM me and I'll contact you.

2.) Motion Tour Asia 2014 (14-17 November)

I can't believe the second time I do another double whammy, I do another parkour event again... :lol:

http://www.eventzilla.net/web/event?eve ... 2138864413

Above is the link for it.

Here's the info from the site:

I'm already part of the ADD team, and will be buying tix in the Singapore workshop (14-15 Nov) The last time I tried this, I couldn't move, laugh nor cough for 3 days...body was aching all over, but that's because I haven't pushed my muscles to the limit like in the workshop.

If you're keen, let me know, so we can go together!

3.) Tuesday Night dinner (21 Oct)

Yeah, the "boring" dinner thing. Since Deepavali will be on Wednesday, if you're still in town, we can hang out and have dinner or something. I'll update in a later post on the location and actual timing.

That is all for now!

SunshineandGin

Postby SunshineandGin » Fri, 17 Oct 2014 9:55 am

Any events happening this weekend?