Singapore Expats Forum

Buy car, been here over 1yr?

Discuss anything relating to automotive here, from car leasing to buying a vehicle.

Sponsored by:
AVIS Car Rental
User avatar
Posts: 71
Joined: Mon, 16 Nov 2009
Location: Singapore

Buy car, been here over 1yr?

Postby dpot » Tue, 26 Jun 2012 11:22 pm

Someone in our condo is selling their car at a great price (transferred back home)...I've been here over one year and not taken the theory test yet, which means that while I have a valid US license, I'm not legal to drive (I assume).

I note that for vehicle transfers, the buyer has to have insurance...I want to buy the car this week, but wondering if it is possible to get insurance somehow when my license isn't valid?

User avatar
Posts: 1853
Joined: Thu, 24 Nov 2011
Location: The Mainland....

Postby nutnut » Wed, 27 Jun 2012 9:10 am

Nope! if you can't drive it then you can't insure it! You could try calling Direct Asia and asking them.

EDIT: Oh, and bear in mind, the waiting list for the theory test is about 3 months, so if you haven't registered, you won't e driving your car for 3 months or more.

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Posts: 10677
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot

Postby Strong Eagle » Wed, 27 Jun 2012 11:24 am

You can possibly still register to take the basic theory test... it will really depend how much over a year that you are... a couple of months and people have managed to take the test.

You can buy the car. Someone with a valid driving license can buy the insurance... you don't need to be the owner to buy the insurance.

User avatar
Posts: 3188
Joined: Sat, 10 May 2008
Location: Existential dilemma!

Postby taxico » Sat, 15 Sep 2012 5:08 pm

my reply is late, but perhaps useful for others in future...

you can buy a motor vehicle and transfer it into your name without having a license, but you must still insure it (but not for road use) to complete the transfer of ownership.

all insurance companies provide this coverage, and it's not expensive.

the name of this type of insurance escapes me... but i once sold a vehicle to a frenchman without a license years before and that was just the sort of insurance i told him to buy (from NTUC Income).

when you get your license, you must then buy the appropriate (separate) on-road insurance to drive it legally.

  • Similar Topics
    Last post

Return to “Cars & Motorcycles”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests