Singapore Expats

EP Application selected for 'random audit' -same as vetting?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
lordvmax

EP Application selected for 'random audit' -same as vetting?

Post by lordvmax » Tue, 26 Jun 2012 8:05 pm

Hi everyone. Have spent a lot of time on this forum and have been really amazed at how helpful everyone is, especially SMS, Mad Scientist and others. However, after scouring this site i havent really found anyone else in my particular situation (which, frankly, worries me a bit). Hoping someone can help out.

So I have a job offer from an IT consultancy firm which applied for EP on 5th June. 3 days later my company got an email from MOM stating that my application has been picked for a 'random audit' for further verification. It asked for 3 things: transcripts of my Bachelors degree, transcripts of my Masters Degree and a Scanned Signed Consent Form which said:

"With reference to this application submitted for Employment Pass and residence in Singapore, I give my consent to the Government of Singapore to obtain from and verify information with any person, organization or any other source for assessing my application."

My employer promptly sent this information (via iSubmit) along with the signed declaration.

It has since been 2 weeks and the EP online status still says 'pending'.

I should mention that my undergrad degree is through distance education in India (from THE biggest distance learning uni in the country). I then came to Singapore for my Masters from a private uni. Also, I have over 5 yrs work experience which i gained while simultaneously doing correspondence.

Now, I've come across many threads here about the "pending approval from vetting agencies". In these cases the application is basically approved on all other criteria and it is only a matter of waiting. So is my case something similar? Or do you guys think there is any element of doubt on approval? (All my certificates are genuine of course so that's not my concern. Im willing to wait it out if required)

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this and hope im making sense!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 26 Jun 2012 8:25 pm

The last time I have seen one of them was around two years ago. Unfortunately it ended badlly as both that were "randomly" selected ended up with fudged documents and were sent packing after spending a couple of days with free board & lodging (for the record, they were Burmese and also had "distance learning" degrees from the largest university for distance learning in Myanmar).

It's not normal but it isn't unheard of either. As long as your documents are in order and above board (matching exactly with what you implied on your application) you shouldn't have anything to worry about. However, if you glorified your CV/application then you may be getting ready to go on a trip. Home.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

lordvmax

Post by lordvmax » Tue, 26 Jun 2012 8:55 pm

Hi SMS, as always, you're prompt reply is really appreciated!

And yes I read about these 2 guys from Myanmar on yr other threads- they were your own employees right?

Anyway before applying, my employer did say my correspondence degree might raise some eyebrows - which is why MOM wasn't really fooling anybody with the word 'random' audit). Anyway, my UG degree is definitely above board. And let me tell you, juggling studying for it along with a full time job was real hell for me. So hoping all that stress will be worth it!

Ok so coming to the point, to your knowledge, would you say that this verification means that my application has been approved on the other criteria (like sector, designation, employer, salary etc?). If its just a question of waiting for the verification for the EP approval, then that would be a huge relief. I'll be happy to wait. Frankly i could use a small vacation. :)

Secondly, for further clarity, how does the verification take place? Are they independent vetting agencies which make independent verifications? That would be much better as I'm certain that will be a faster process. My Indian University is not exactly the top-notch when it comes to speedy communication and paperwork so if MOM contacts them directly for verification i might have to wait for months!! So yeah, any idea at all how vetting works?

Thanks so much!

singaporeflyer
Answers: 2

Post by singaporeflyer » Tue, 26 Jun 2012 10:08 pm

lordvmax wrote:Hi SMS, as always, you're prompt reply is really appreciated!

And yes I read about these 2 guys from Myanmar on yr other threads- they were your own employees right?

Anyway before applying, my employer did say my correspondence degree might raise some eyebrows - which is why MOM wasn't really fooling anybody with the word 'random' audit). Anyway, my UG degree is definitely above board. And let me tell you, juggling studying for it along with a full time job was real hell for me. So hoping all that stress will be worth it!

Ok so coming to the point, to your knowledge, would you say that this verification means that my application has been approved on the other criteria (like sector, designation, employer, salary etc?). If its just a question of waiting for the verification for the EP approval, then that would be a huge relief. I'll be happy to wait. Frankly i could use a small vacation. :)

Nope..SMS cant say too..It is MOM Decision. May be first part is vetting and then they evaluate the criteria?

Secondly, for further clarity, how does the verification take place? Are they independent vetting agencies which make independent verifications? That would be much better as I'm certain that will be a faster process. My Indian University is not exactly the top-notch when it comes to speedy communication and paperwork so if MOM contacts them directly for verification i might have to wait for months!! So yeah, any idea at all how vetting works?

Only MOM Knows

Thanks so much!

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 26 Jun 2012 10:51 pm

lordvmax wrote:Hi SMS, as always, you're prompt reply is really appreciated!

As you have done your due diligence in our archives, you noted that those employees had already been with me for 6 months. It would now appear that they are "selectively" doing it prior to approval. This is something possibly new, or maybe not new but now informing the applicant that the details of your application are being scrutinized much more closely. Is your degree relevant (directly) to your applied for position? This is another thing that is causing rejection now. It used to be as long as you had a degree, but now it needs to be relevant to the position being applied for. e.g., a history major isn't gonna make it as a mechanical technician.

This is an unknown as we've not heard of enough that have gone through it to be able to give much in the way of anecdotal evidence. They have their own teams in some countries, and they also use independent agencies as well. Which countries use which? No idea. I do know they look at the actual school records but when they audit, that means everything on the application (not just school transcripts).

Thanks so much!
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Arsenal_fan

Post by Arsenal_fan » Wed, 27 Jun 2012 10:28 am

No idea how the actual verification takes place, but I know a acquaintance's ep application was rejected. He was told that the Indian university did not have records of his getting the degree (not a correspondence one).

Don't really know what happened in the end, but last I heard he was appealing and following up with the Indian university to figure out how they messed up.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 27 Jun 2012 11:16 am

Arsenal_fan wrote:NHe was told that the Indian university did not have records of his getting the degree (not a correspondence one).

Don't really know what happened in the end, but last I heard he was appealing and following up with the Indian university to figure out how they messed up.
I've heard that one before....... :-|

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Wed, 27 Jun 2012 11:40 am

Arsenal_fan wrote:No idea how the actual verification takes place, but I know a acquaintance's ep application was rejected. He was told that the Indian university did not have records of his getting the degree (not a correspondence one).
Was it a Very Prestigious and World Famous university? :twisted:

(it's a bit of an in-joke around here).
Be careful what you wish for

Arsenal_fan

Post by Arsenal_fan » Wed, 27 Jun 2012 11:50 am

yup Prestigious but not Masters.

(got the joke have been a lurker on the forum for a long time)

lordvmax

Post by lordvmax » Wed, 27 Jun 2012 11:59 am

Hi everyone!

Woke up this morning to the best 6 words one can wake up to:

"Congrats, you EP has been approved"

My boss just sent me a text! Wow just when i was really beginning to flip out about this!

Its been a long hard struggle but finally its done! Im employed in Singapore!

Thanks for all your support guys - ESPECIALLY SMS!

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 27 Jun 2012 12:06 pm

Well, congratulations! And thanks. Most here give me anything but thanks! :lol:

And we now know that they are even more closely scrutinizing before issuance, but it's not necessarily the kiss of death. That's good to know. Thanks.

sms

vishalgupta2
Chatter
Chatter

Post by vishalgupta2 » Wed, 27 Jun 2012 10:20 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Well, congratulations! And thanks. Most here give me anything but thanks! :lol:

And we now know that they are even more closely scrutinizing before issuance, but it's not necessarily the kiss of death. That's good to know. Thanks.

sms
Come on SMS, I thanked you, dint I? :D

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 27 Jun 2012 11:21 pm

Yeah, but if we keep score, I don't think I want to see the final tally. Especially from the masters holders. :lol: