Singapore Expats

Boss from hell?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 29 Jun 2012 12:12 pm

nutnut wrote:Thanks Adda.

I called him a lady part...

Not my finest hour, but he was terribly rude and deserved it.
Oh, you worked for Michael Hunt?
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Fri, 29 Jun 2012 12:56 pm

:P Aye, he was a bit!
nutnut

macaroonie
Chatter
Chatter

Post by macaroonie » Fri, 29 Jun 2012 9:50 pm

What about bosses who ask you to do unethical things? The solution is clear as day yet still insists on doing the unethical thing? then?

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Fri, 29 Jun 2012 10:30 pm

Call em a lady part!
nutnut

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 29 Jun 2012 10:34 pm

nutnut wrote:Call em a lady part!
then they shall be named Benjamin Dover.

But seriously, time to narc to a higher power then...after standing your ground.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Sat, 30 Jun 2012 9:48 pm

macaroonie wrote:What about bosses who ask you to do unethical things? The solution is clear as day yet still insists on doing the unethical thing? then?
The solution to this is also clear as day, stand on ground but don't intimidate him that he will twist around and have you removed on grounds of insubordination or other hanky panky.

And be prepared to make an exit if that is totally unacceptable by law, together with evidence and like Nak said, go to the police, MOM or whichever related authorities.

The Remittance Man

Post by The Remittance Man » Sat, 30 Jun 2012 10:07 pm

My ex boss (I still work with him, but I'm a partner now so he can't bully me anymore) was a lot like the OP. He's a naturalized Singaporean, originally from another part of Asia. Although he is technically no longer my boss, he's still a misery to work with. My solution: I've been looking for another job for quite some time!
I pay FIVE DOLLARS for something and then I LOSE it!

macaroonie
Chatter
Chatter

Post by macaroonie » Sun, 01 Jul 2012 10:28 am

There is unethical and there is illegal. This is unethical, the rules seem as plain as day to me, not sure why someone higher above still wants to do the opposite. Has no regard either for the opinion of higher superiors who agree with me! Guess some people just want whatever outcome they want and will try and bend the rules so much that no subordinate could possibly comply.

Is it being weak to just quit or would a stronger person stick around and learn how to deal with such a person?

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sun, 01 Jul 2012 11:21 am

macaroonie wrote:There is unethical and there is illegal. This is unethical, the rules seem as plain as day to me, not sure why someone higher above still wants to do the opposite. Has no regard either for the opinion of higher superiors who agree with me! Guess some people just want whatever outcome they want and will try and bend the rules so much that no subordinate could possibly comply.

AHs are everywhere.

Is it being weak to just quit or would a stronger person stick around and learn how to deal with such a person?
Probably depends on the category. If a toilet keeps flooding your room with feces and nobody from the plumbers department is going to do anything about this is it better to stick around and learn how to deal with it or leave?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 01 Jul 2012 11:50 am

^^^^

+1
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Sun, 01 Jul 2012 1:07 pm

That's a very good analogy!

macaroonie
Chatter
Chatter

Post by macaroonie » Wed, 04 Jul 2012 9:16 pm

Thanks X9200! yes i get it!!! the light is shining brightly now!

macaroonie
Chatter
Chatter

Post by macaroonie » Thu, 05 Jul 2012 8:38 pm

Well new reorganisational chart gets sent around and your job and your people are not on it. Should i panic or is this just an oversight of a boss who doesn't care about anyone except themselves, doesnt think through all the issues, and just wants to do things his way regardless??

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Thu, 05 Jul 2012 8:44 pm

macaroonie wrote:Well new reorganisational chart gets sent around and your job and your people are not on it. Should i panic or is this just an oversight of a boss who doesn't care about anyone except themselves, doesnt think through all the issues, and just wants to do things his way regardless??
Let's just say if I were you, I'd update my LinkedIn and Monster accounts. Maybe also keep a copy of my resume in Google docs or some other cloud service for easy access.

davidcf

Post by davidcf » Tue, 17 Jul 2012 5:46 pm

I'm lucky to have a good local boss.