Singapore Expats Forum

Boss from hell?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

macaroonie
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 337
Joined: Mon, 29 Jun 2009

Boss from hell?

Postby macaroonie » Fri, 22 Jun 2012 9:19 pm

How many people have direct local bosses? What is your experience?

Anyone work with one of those completely authoritative bosses who want it their way only and really doesn't care about his people? He is not interested in the welfare of his people but simply his own agenda

How do you deal with such a boss?

User avatar
Barnsley
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2230
Joined: Tue, 10 Jun 2008
Location: Pasir Ris
Contact:

Postby Barnsley » Mon, 25 Jun 2012 2:35 pm

I have a local boss , and my experience is a very good one.

I dont know if this is because he spent some time working Europe, and started out in a European owned company.

He is pretty cool about everything as long as you get your work done, and he is open to inputs from anyone with regards to to improving work practice.

It is definately not a case of " My way or the Highway"
Life is short, paddle harder!!

beppi
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1752
Joined: Thu, 07 Sep 2006
Location: Ahlongistan (O$P$)

Postby beppi » Mon, 25 Jun 2012 8:07 pm

The two best bosses I ever had (out of approx. 15) were, probably coincidentally, both Malaysian Chinese. The two worst were Westerners, and your description perfectly matches one of them (the other one didn't care about anything, just forwarded blame when things went wrong).

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9810
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: Boss from hell?

Postby ecureilx » Mon, 25 Jun 2012 8:57 pm

macaroonie wrote:How do you deal with such a boss?


My workplace had a training titled "how to deal with a troublesome manager" as well as another one that was "how to deal with difficult bosses"

Plan A : would be to look up something similar

Plan B : Find another boss ;)


PS: my work place, post training, became more fun

Now, instead of arguing blindly, we argue in a structured way, like "make the story", "Make the fact", "present the story", "Find mutually beneficial areas", "work towards Common goal" .. though end of the day, our boss still doesn't waver from his decisions, though he goes through the motions .. ;)

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5266
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Postby the lynx » Mon, 25 Jun 2012 10:42 pm

I'd say you either have to adapt or to move on. But there's no guarantee that you will have a better boss if you choose the latter.

Miss Swan
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 196
Joined: Fri, 12 May 2006

Re: Boss from hell?

Postby Miss Swan » Tue, 26 Jun 2012 10:41 am

macaroonie wrote:How many people have direct local bosses? What is your experience?

Anyone work with one of those completely authoritative bosses who want it their way only and really doesn't care about his people? He is not interested in the welfare of his people but simply his own agenda

How do you deal with such a boss?


Sounds exactly like one boss I had. 100% local, completely authoritative. Very educated, a PhD holder from a very established Scottish university. Made life a living hell for his employees. The solution? We all left :D

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Tue, 26 Jun 2012 11:18 am

To be fair, arsehole managers are not confined to locals. You can find them anywhere in the world. Non-local managers that are here, though, seem to be more open-minded (probably a soft-requirement of being assigned to manage people of a different culture).

Personally, I had a boss who was less than ideal--chides and berates people, always moving goalposts, always sets high expectations, asks questions to which he expects nothing but the answers he wants to hear, sets deadlines that are too aggressive...blah, blah, blah. From a neighboring country, non-local, non-Chinese (let's just get that out of the way). His boss (our big-boss) once gathered our whole team and told us, "all of you seem to be... lacking motivation in your work"

One person lacks motivation --> probably his fault. But a whole team of different temperaments, abilities, cultural backgrounds lacking motivation now but previously did not when they were managed by a different boss? I think we--and especially the big boss--know the cause of the problem. Because we effin' gave feedback.

The solution? Our big boss gave us a manager who has more empathy. The unmotivating manager was then assigned elsewhere (outside his technical comfort zone) and has a team who already have motivation and are known who will talk smack back to him if he tries to pull the crap he did on us.

User avatar
Barnsley
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2230
Joined: Tue, 10 Jun 2008
Location: Pasir Ris
Contact:

Postby Barnsley » Tue, 26 Jun 2012 11:48 am

beppi wrote:The two best bosses I ever had (out of approx. 15) were, probably coincidentally, both Malaysian Chinese. The two worst were Westerners, and your description perfectly matches one of them (the other one didn't care about anything, just forwarded blame when things went wrong).


My boss is Malaysian Chinese
Life is short, paddle harder!!

macaroonie
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 337
Joined: Mon, 29 Jun 2009

Postby macaroonie » Tue, 26 Jun 2012 9:31 pm

Thanks heaps for sharing your experiences. Sometimes i think there is a lack of a specific skill set and hence the boss we have is by default, not because they are the most suitable. I am not sure if those higher up have a big enough backbone to do something, do asians have that culture?? i dont see it happening often. It is really demoralising when one's boss doesnt have the team's best interest at heart and is the cause of the problems, rather than helping to solve problems.

When a new boss is appointed, those higher above should also assess the boss's performance, and the best way to do this is to ask the subordinates, but i have never heard this being done before - has anyone?

And after awhile working, i tend to pick a job because of the people and not necessarily just the paycheck size - what do you all think?

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5266
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Postby the lynx » Tue, 26 Jun 2012 10:39 pm

macaroonie wrote:Thanks heaps for sharing your experiences. Sometimes i think there is a lack of a specific skill set and hence the boss we have is by default, not because they are the most suitable. I am not sure if those higher up have a big enough backbone to do something, do asians have that culture?? i dont see it happening often. It is really demoralising when one's boss doesnt have the team's best interest at heart and is the cause of the problems, rather than helping to solve problems.

When a new boss is appointed, those higher above should also assess the boss's performance, and the best way to do this is to ask the subordinates, but i have never heard this being done before - has anyone?

And after awhile working, i tend to pick a job because of the people and not necessarily just the paycheck size - what do you all think?


Nice idea but you won't know much about the people part until you are on board for a considerable period of time.

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 890
Joined: Mon, 02 Mar 2009

Postby morenangpinay » Wed, 27 Jun 2012 10:24 am

Expects you to have more output compared to what is reasonable according to task and time given….everything to him can be done in 10 mins, he also tries to save on costs but makes stupid decisions which costs more than expected. Doesn’t listen to suggestions and opinions. What I do is everytime he does not listen, I say everything twice…with more emphasis. I have also taken to writing through email all sensitive topics, issues, clients, etc. And because he likes to flip flop on his decisions and pretend he didn’t instruct something, I have decided to ask him for every single decision on projects, etc. ..And because in the beginning I was able to accomplish any task, even the ones I have no responsibility over, he decided to give me every task he can think of..so I decided to say "no i don't know how to do that." even if i could do it.

he is indian singaporean but he migrated from India...does this have anything to do with that survey on insing i think that said "singapore bosses are the most stingy" ?

User avatar
nutnut
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1853
Joined: Thu, 24 Nov 2011
Location: The Mainland....

Postby nutnut » Wed, 27 Jun 2012 11:26 am

Perhaps the worst two bosses I've worked are from very different backgrounds and race, but, both managed people very badly.

First was a chap from my home country (UK) who was racist, rude self interested, demoralizing and generally a stuck up tw%t!

Second was a chap in Singapore (not local, but not western), and I didn't stick around for long! (I'm a little older and wiser now than previously)

Basically, my approach is, let them know your standing ASAP. Don't let them get one over on you at the start and you'll probably find you have a good relationship.

The manager in the UK made a racist (based on nation) comment to me on my first week, in front of my colleagues, so I immediately retorted by calling him a see you next tuesday and I never had a lot of problems for the remaining 8 weeks, but he was dreadful at dealing with those who let him talk to them like crap!
nutnut

macaroonie
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 337
Joined: Mon, 29 Jun 2009

Postby macaroonie » Thu, 28 Jun 2012 8:48 pm

Sorry nutnut i dont follow, what do you mean by 'see you next tue?"

User avatar
Addadude
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 702
Joined: Fri, 26 May 2006
Location: Darkest Telok Blangah
Contact:

Postby Addadude » Thu, 28 Jun 2012 8:55 pm

macaroonie wrote:Sorry nutnut i dont follow, what do you mean by 'see you next tue?"


Say the words out loud and hear what letters they sound like. For example, "see" when you say it out loud sounds like the letter "C". I'll let you work out the rest yourself...
"Both politicians and nappies need to be changed regularly, and for the same reasons."

User avatar
nutnut
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1853
Joined: Thu, 24 Nov 2011
Location: The Mainland....

Postby nutnut » Fri, 29 Jun 2012 12:03 pm

Thanks Adda.

I called him a lady part...

Not my finest hour, but he was terribly rude and deserved it.
nutnut


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Careers & Jobs in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests