Singapore Expats Forum

PR Application Advice

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35178
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 17 Dec 2012 4:51 pm

It sucks, but it's fits the profile that we've been assembling. Thank you for getting back to us. It's our readers/posters who give us the anecdotal evidence that we use to form our opinions & replies. And the are only our opinions, but we don't try to blow smoke as that is doing nobody any favours.

Again, thanks for getting back to us. Hang in there and maybe someone will give your with a go with the LoC. Persistence.

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 3936
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012
Location: SIndiapore

Postby Wd40 » Mon, 17 Dec 2012 9:00 pm

BetaRotman wrote:The reject came through on 14 Dec, along with a bunch others being rejected too.

1. Indian couple, both EP1 >200k Household, Child-Bearing age for Woman who is primary applicant.
2. Indian couple, both EP2 > 120k household, Child-Bearing age for Woman
3. Single Indian Male, EP1 ~100k

FYI, It's extremely difficult to find local talent for the work profiles listed.


Treat the rejection as a blessing in disguise. This place is going down the drain for many reasons, few of which are:

1. Jobs are moving out of sg and will carry on at a faster pace in the next few years.

2. Cost of living keeps on climbing here and your lifestyle going down. This makes people take the risk of buying overpriced hdbs. With point 1,the risk of defaulting becomes huge few years later.

The fact that you are rejected inspite of having good profile tells you that, there is growing animosity against your category of people.

India is booming right now and you can have much better lifestyle and savings there at the moment. I would say to back build your career and wait for time when US and Europe come out of recession and then make move there.

There are other nice places my friends are targeting and New Zealand is increasing getting attractive.

So good luck and again I am telling you looking back 5 years from now you will treat this as a blessing in disguise. Those that have got PR and bought Hdbs in the last 1 yr are going to be big big trouble, especially those in IT line.

vishalgupta2
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 221
Joined: Wed, 18 Apr 2012

Postby vishalgupta2 » Tue, 18 Dec 2012 12:01 am

This is not how I think.
Who says India is getting any Jobs? I personally know VPs/CEOs of atleast 20 companies in the US (both small/big) and almost NONE of them wants to deal with India. Issues: work ethics, attitude and cost.

One of my friend commented its almost impossible to deal with Indians talking on their cellphones 5 hours a day at work.

India has already lost its top place in BPO to Philippines and its just a matter of a couple of years before India starts seeing major issues.

I have a friend in India who runs one of the big recruiting companies in India and he told me the market in India is dead cold while my friends in US say the IT market is red hot in USA. I myself am getting like a million mails from recruiters every week.

Then if you like add all the corruption and safety issues in India and you will know what I am saying.

I am expecting a backlash from a lot of Indians here as people from the subcontinent whether India or China can't hear anything against their country.

Wd40 wrote:Treat the rejection as a blessing in disguise. This place is going down the drain for many reasons, few of which are:

1. Jobs are moving out of sg and will carry on at a faster pace in the next few years.

2. Cost of living keeps on climbing here and your lifestyle going down. This makes people take the risk of buying overpriced hdbs. With point 1,the risk of defaulting becomes huge few years later.


The fact that you are rejected inspite of having good profile tells you that, there is growing animosity against your category of people.

India is booming right now and you can have much better lifestyle and savings there at the moment. I would say to back build your career and wait for time when US and Europe come out of recession and then make move there.

There are other nice places my friends are targeting and New Zealand is increasing getting attractive.

So good luck and again I am telling you looking back 5 years from now you will treat this as a blessing in disguise. Those that have got PR and bought Hdbs in the last 1 yr are going to be big big trouble, especially those in IT line.

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 3936
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012
Location: SIndiapore

Postby Wd40 » Tue, 18 Dec 2012 12:29 am

Reading your previous posts I know you are very anti India and there is a personal story behind it, so with due respect, I will address each of your points.

vishalgupta2 wrote:This is not how I think.
Who says India is getting any Jobs? I personally know VPs/CEOs of atleast 20 companies in the US (both small/big) and almost NONE of them wants to deal with India. Issues: work ethics, attitude and cost.

I know for a fact almost all banks are moving their IT staff to India. I am not sure if outsourcing from US to India is on the rise or not. But I can bet on my right ball that outsourcing of IT jobs from Singapore to India is happening big time. I dont deny the issues you mentioned. What is happening is despite those issues. If those issues were not there, India would have been a super power now.



One of my friend commented its almost impossible to deal with Indians talking on their cellphones 5 hours a day at work.


Ok. I wont defend that. Thats your friend's comment.


India has already lost its top place in BPO to Philippines and its just a matter of a couple of years before India starts seeing major issues.

Ok. Gr8.

I have a friend in India who runs one of the big recruiting companies in India and he told me the market in India is dead cold while my friends in US say the IT market is red hot in USA. I myself am getting like a million mails from recruiters every week.

Since you are talking about a friend. I will also quote eg of friends. I have a several colleagues in my team who were earning 5-6k SGD PM in Singapore and they have gladly accepted offers of 17-18Lacs(1Lac = 100,000) INR PA to relocate back to India . You and I know how much money that is in India.

Then if you like add all the corruption and safety issues in India and you will know what I am saying.

Every country has its issues. India has a lot of it. But still there are lots of them who go back to India when they feel monetarily they are not saving enough nor they are having the kind of lifestyle that they dreamt of while leaving Indian shores.

I am expecting a backlash from a lot of Indians here as people from the subcontinent whether India or China can't hear anything against their country.

Dont worry. You wont hear any backlash here. I havent seen any Indian on this forum hit back unless you hit him first.

Wd40 wrote:Treat the rejection as a blessing in disguise. This place is going down the drain for many reasons, few of which are:

1. Jobs are moving out of sg and will carry on at a faster pace in the next few years.

2. Cost of living keeps on climbing here and your lifestyle going down. This makes people take the risk of buying overpriced hdbs. With point 1,the risk of defaulting becomes huge few years later.


The fact that you are rejected inspite of having good profile tells you that, there is growing animosity against your category of people.

India is booming right now and you can have much better lifestyle and savings there at the moment. I would say to back build your career and wait for time when US and Europe come out of recession and then make move there.

There are other nice places my friends are targeting and New Zealand is increasing getting attractive.

So good luck and again I am telling you looking back 5 years from now you will treat this as a blessing in disguise. Those that have got PR and bought Hdbs in the last 1 yr are going to be big big trouble, especially those in IT line.

vishalgupta2
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 221
Joined: Wed, 18 Apr 2012

Postby vishalgupta2 » Tue, 18 Dec 2012 2:55 am

I am sure you know that I was born in India.

I have been working in IT for like 11 years now. Spent most of the part of those 11 years in the USA.

The problem is that you may not have seen what I have seen in the IT market. The reputation of India and Indian engineers has been going down every single day.

When I started working in 2001, Indians were very highly respected worldwide. It was only around 2004 when massive Indian visa frauds started and the reputation went off track. I can't explain how bad it hurts when I see the country I was born in loose its reputation this way coz of some crazy freaks (one of the example would be the person who surrendered his son's Singapore PR just before he was due for NS).

As for 18LPA in India, think of it. Most people are stuck at that amount and can't grow further while inflation grows at 10% and currency goes down at equal rates. Exchange rates were ~40 INR/USD and ~27/SGD in 2007. 5 years later its 56/USD and 45/SGD. I am sorry but if you look at that economically, its called erosion.

In literal terms, at 18LPA, you get a paycheck of 1LPM and pay a rent of about 40k in Gurgaon + all other stuff and what do you save?

I have to repeat, I am not anti India, but the way country has gone down just hurts.

Wd40 wrote:Reading your previous posts I know you are very anti India and there is a personal story behind it, so with due respect, I will address each of your points.

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 3936
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012
Location: SIndiapore

Postby Wd40 » Tue, 18 Dec 2012 8:50 am

vishalgupta2 wrote:I am sure you know that I was born in India.

I have been working in IT for like 11 years now. Spent most of the part of those 11 years in the USA.

The problem is that you may not have seen what I have seen in the IT market. The reputation of India and Indian engineers has been going down every single day.

When I started working in 2001, Indians were very highly respected worldwide. It was only around 2004 when massive Indian visa frauds started and the reputation went off track. I can't explain how bad it hurts when I see the country I was born in loose its reputation this way coz of some crazy freaks (one of the example would be the person who surrendered his son's Singapore PR just before he was due for NS).

As for 18LPA in India, think of it. Most people are stuck at that amount and can't grow further while inflation grows at 10% and currency goes down at equal rates. Exchange rates were ~40 INR/USD and ~27/SGD in 2007. 5 years later its 56/USD and 45/SGD. I am sorry but if you look at that economically, its called erosion.

In literal terms, at 18LPA, you get a paycheck of 1LPM and pay a rent of about 40k in Gurgaon + all other stuff and what do you save?

I have to repeat, I am not anti India, but the way country has gone down just hurts.

Wd40 wrote:Reading your previous posts I know you are very anti India and there is a personal story behind it, so with due respect, I will address each of your points.


You can be as much anti India as you want. Its your choice.
But I would like to reiterate that every country has its problem and unless you see the bad side of it you wouldnt know. You stress about safety isnt it and you were in the US for so long. Think about the school shooting incident. Your kids could be going to school and someone can come and open fire on them.

So you see, we can go on and on about the positives and negatives of any country. But ultimately, no matter how good the foreign country is, you need to make significantly more money than the locals(for obvious reasons) to have a decent life and save. If that is not happening most people go back to their country no matter how bad it is.

Heck, I know even MY Chinese and Indon Chinese go back and stay in their countries even after getting citizenship here. They buy HDBs and rent it out and then have a relaxed life in their country. To many its still money that matters.

BetaRotman
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri, 22 Jun 2012

Postby BetaRotman » Thu, 20 Dec 2012 4:32 pm

Folks...

There is a popular opinion among non-Indians... That WE "Indians" hate each other so much that there is no scope of unity in the face of adversity. Let's not take cheap shots at each other and try and leverage this forum for the reason it has been created.

My humble 2 cents.

Merry X'Mas and a Happy New year to all of you. Peace.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35178
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 20 Dec 2012 6:00 pm

It's the "leveraging" that has gotten you all in trouble in the first place.

User avatar
v4jr4
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 887
Joined: Mon, 09 Jul 2012
Location: Chocolate Factory

Postby v4jr4 » Thu, 20 Dec 2012 6:19 pm

BetaRotman wrote:Folks...

There is a popular opinion among non-Indians... That WE "Indians" hate each other so much that there is no scope of unity in the face of adversity.


I dig out an article in 2011 about Asian's most sinful cities. Well, euh . . .
"Budget Expat"

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9320
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Thu, 20 Dec 2012 8:53 pm

v4jr4 wrote:
BetaRotman wrote:Folks...

There is a popular opinion among non-Indians... That WE "Indians" hate each other so much that there is no scope of unity in the face of adversity.


I dig out an article in 2011 about Asian's most sinful cities. Well, euh . . .

Sorry, but this article is just a rubbish. Not for the first time CNN proves to be not far away from the tabloids. Already classifying Indian migration as envy driven is rather silly euphemistically speaking. The same source they quoted shows no India at all on the top migration countries list if only the fraction of the population is taken into account.

vishalgupta2
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 221
Joined: Wed, 18 Apr 2012

Postby vishalgupta2 » Fri, 21 Dec 2012 4:01 pm

+1

sundaymorningstaple wrote:It's the "leveraging" that has gotten you all in trouble in the first place.

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1582
Joined: Wed, 04 Jul 2012

Postby offshoreoildude » Fri, 21 Dec 2012 4:19 pm

vishalgupta2 wrote:+1

sundaymorningstaple wrote:It's the "leveraging" that has gotten you all in trouble in the first place.


Until Indians came along it used to be white Rhodesians and South Africans that I considered notorious for collecting PR's, visas and passports.... mind you they were fleeing their country for good reason I guess. I knew a Rhodesian who now has an Irish, UK, Australian PP as well as Singapore PR, rights to Canadian PR (via a relative) and is considering obtaining Indonesian PR via marring his local gf - (Indo parliament has passed a law recently allowing that).
Now I'm called PNGMK

User avatar
v4jr4
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 887
Joined: Mon, 09 Jul 2012
Location: Chocolate Factory

Postby v4jr4 » Fri, 21 Dec 2012 6:07 pm

x9200 wrote:Sorry, but this article is just a rubbish. Not for the first time CNN proves to be not far away from the tabloids. Already classifying Indian migration as envy driven is rather silly euphemistically speaking. The same source they quoted shows no India at all on the top migration countries list if only the fraction of the population is taken into account.


Yep. It's just to put the "label" anyways (and they can say "Oh, we didn't know that" later). But similar to Chinese, the Indians are everywhere (I think). I don't know about the Europe or US side, but in Jakarta, they can blend in without ruckus.
"Budget Expat"

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 3936
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012
Location: SIndiapore

Postby Wd40 » Fri, 21 Dec 2012 9:50 pm

v4jr4 wrote:
x9200 wrote:Sorry, but this article is just a rubbish. Not for the first time CNN proves to be not far away from the tabloids. Already classifying Indian migration as envy driven is rather silly euphemistically speaking. The same source they quoted shows no India at all on the top migration countries list if only the fraction of the population is taken into account.


Yep. It's just to put the "label" anyways (and they can say "Oh, we didn't know that" later). But similar to Chinese, the Indians are everywhere (I think). I don't know about the Europe or US side, but in Jakarta, they can blend in without ruckus.


Yupp the Indian influence on Indonesia is just amazing and has links from centuries. Remember Indonesia was called Dutch east India company and rupiah is derived from the Indian rupee.

Enjoy reading this :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_Indonesians

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 3936
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012
Location: SIndiapore

Postby Wd40 » Sat, 22 Dec 2012 2:32 pm

Vishal Gupta, this is exactly what I meant when I said that Singapore is not that attractive to Indians anymore.

http://www.tremeritus.com/2012/03/15/si ... oreigners/

Although the last 3 paragraphs were totally unnecessary and shows his nativity, but you get the sentiment. 6k pm here and he would rather go to India. As you know Indians typically are all same and fit perfect stereotypes, he is not alone, there are plenty of them like him who havent yet bought hdb and are now going back happily. The ones who have bought hdb are stuck.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “PR, Citizenship, Passes & Visas for Foreigners”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests