Singapore Expats

Overstaying the 90 day entry stamp.

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
crossy

Overstaying the 90 day entry stamp.

Post by crossy » Thu, 21 Jun 2012 5:17 pm

A mate (no it's not me) is here on a business trip, his current flight arrangements will take him 1 day over his 90 day entry stamp.

He intends nipping over to JB at the weekend, but what would be the penalty for going 1 day over the stamp?

EDIT He is on a UK passport.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Re: Overstaying the 90 day entry stamp.

Post by Mad Scientist » Thu, 21 Jun 2012 6:38 pm

crossy wrote:A mate (no it's not me) is here on a business trip, his current flight arrangements will take him 1 day over his 90 day entry stamp.

He intends nipping over to JB at the weekend, but what would be the penalty for going 1 day over the stamp?

EDIT He is on a UK passport.
Trying to push your luck with this guideline by overstaying can only mean a few things

1. A fine if he pleads ignorance and if ICA officer buys his excuse

2. Charge for illegal overstayer which can mean a fine or a jail or caning or both

3. Ban for the next 7 years from entering SG

Pick your choice and choose at your own peril
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

ebbtide

Post by ebbtide » Thu, 21 Jun 2012 8:59 pm

He should take a weekend to thailand or something and reset his 90 days. Not too expensive and he gets a weekend away.
"A good plan executed with vigor now is better than a perfect plan executed with haste later."

Zeenit
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Zeenit » Thu, 21 Jun 2012 9:46 pm

I am more for the overstay option and then the OP can update us to which one his friend received. :D :D
Zeenit

crossy

Post by crossy » Fri, 22 Jun 2012 7:20 am

A quick thought, he's intending to nip over to JB at the weekend. Can he just turn around after a leisurely Malay lunch and return?

One assumes (or does not) that he will indeed get another 90 day visa exemption.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 22 Jun 2012 4:13 pm

In my experience they give you 30 days at JB.

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Fri, 22 Jun 2012 4:49 pm

The only time we did that (when we were waiting for the EP & DPs to come through) we were only given 2 weeks. Which was enough as it turned out, but it shows that this does seem to vary somewhat.
Be careful what you wish for

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 22 Jun 2012 5:05 pm

Mi Amigo wrote:The only time we did that (when we were waiting for the EP & DPs to come through) we were only given 2 weeks. Which was enough as it turned out, but it shows that this does seem to vary somewhat.

Oh aye, they dusted off the 'special 2 week stamp' for you did they? I heard a rumour it had been used again.

:wink:

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Sat, 23 Jun 2012 3:18 pm

I should have been more specific and pointed out that this was back in 2004, so not a recent event. At the time, I was led to believe that short hops across the causeway were likely to result in shorter duration visas, compared to flying somewhere. We'd previously had a holiday in Penang and were given 30 days (IIRC) on return. But my general point was that one should not assume that a 30 day stamp will be forthcoming when coming back from JB.
Be careful what you wish for

Zeenit
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Zeenit » Sat, 23 Jun 2012 3:37 pm

Well as I see it and this is my 10 pences worth.
1. If you going to overstay for one day on Business, just leave day 89...end of.
2. Looks like the OP " friend" wants 180 days stay in SG and thinks that the Gahman will not see thru this idea.
Lastly as we all know they don't even need to stamp the OP 'friend" in to collect his things but deny him/her entry if they do the visa run lunch to JB.
UK/USA/ OZ etce etc does not matter. Evey country gets there allowance and if you overstay the options as MAD SCIENTIST stated is the same.

End of this RANT. :shock: :shock:
Zeenit

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sat, 23 Jun 2012 8:30 pm

Zeenit wrote:I am more for the overstay option and then the OP can update us to which one his friend received. :D :D
I second this idea. I'll even buy the OP lunch on Day 91 if he's willing to try.

crossy

Post by crossy » Sat, 23 Jun 2012 8:59 pm

Thanks for the insight people.

The man in question (no truly it's not me) nipped over to JB on the bus today and got a further 90 day stamp no questions asked. He's leaving Thursday PM for the UK, he really did need just one day.

It's quite interesting to see the different attitude that Singapore has to overstay when compared with my chosen country of residence (Thailand) where a 1 day overstay isn't even fined (you do get a stamp mind).

post redacted -moderator

Zeenit
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Zeenit » Sat, 23 Jun 2012 10:01 pm

crossy wrote:Thanks for the
It's quite interesting to see the different attitude that Singapore has to overstay when compared with my chosen country of residence (Thailand) where a 1 day overstay isn't even fined (you do get a stamp mind).

This is Singapore!! In case you did not notice!!
And that's why it's not Blighty and over run by illegal overstays.

Why not look me up on shady URL, same username.
Sorry Mate, not interested.
Zeenit