Singapore Expats Forum

10 things I hate about Singapore

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.

Sponsored by:
Image
AE Logistics - Singapore Movers

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35178
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 13 Jul 2012 12:59 pm

I usually say, "can you try speaking it?" :lol:

revhappy
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1067
Joined: Wed, 10 Jun 2009

Postby revhappy » Sun, 15 Jul 2012 9:03 pm

I find the locals really friendly and courteous. This feeling has become even more pronounced ever since we had our baby. We travel always by public transport and even when the bus is fully packed my wife never had an issue with getting a seat. When we take our baby out on pram on the lift somebody always helps us with holding the 'open' button until we get out or in. Not sure what you guys are on about. Do you guys get any better treatment in your own country?

User avatar
poodlek
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 878
Joined: Mon, 10 May 2010
Location: Taipa, Macau
Contact:

Postby poodlek » Sun, 15 Jul 2012 9:17 pm

revhappy wrote:I find the locals really friendly and courteous. This feeling has become even more pronounced ever since we had our baby. We travel always by public transport and even when the bus is fully packed my wife never had an issue with getting a seat. When we take our baby out on pram on the lift somebody always helps us with holding the 'open' button until we get out or in. Not sure what you guys are on about. Do you guys get any better treatment in your own country?


LOL It sounds as if you've been extremely lucky! I've found SG'ns "courtesy" to be in approximately last place of all the places I've visited in Asia...for all the reasons you mentioned, the opposite is more often true. But maybe it's just the routes you take? I find people to be more friendly in Little India than in Chinatown, for instance.

revhappy
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1067
Joined: Wed, 10 Jun 2009

Postby revhappy » Sun, 15 Jul 2012 9:26 pm

poodlek wrote:
revhappy wrote:I find the locals really friendly and courteous. This feeling has become even more pronounced ever since we had our baby. We travel always by public transport and even when the bus is fully packed my wife never had an issue with getting a seat. When we take our baby out on pram on the lift somebody always helps us with holding the 'open' button until we get out or in. Not sure what you guys are on about. Do you guys get any better treatment in your own country?


LOL It sounds as if you've been extremely lucky! I've found SG'ns "courtesy" to be in approximately last place of all the places I've visited in Asia...for all the reasons you mentioned, the opposite is more often true. But maybe it's just the routes you take? I find people to be more friendly in Little India than in Chinatown, for instance.


We live in tampines and most of our encounters with locals is in our own block or when we catch the town link bus to get to the tampines central. It's not just once. We have been here with our baby for last 3 months and travel a lot. Can't find anything missing with the local's courteousness. May be I feel that way because I come from India. But still can't imagine how much better US or UK or AU would be.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Sun, 15 Jul 2012 9:33 pm

Check out this page from the Kindness Campaign.
http://kindness.sg/category/public/

First picture at top, I looked at it and thought, does that say:
'I will arrest my neighbour' !?

(as for the 'Reel Pledge' sign, maybe one for the Singlish campaign?)

:)

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5272
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Postby the lynx » Sun, 15 Jul 2012 9:48 pm

JR8 wrote:Check out this page from the Kindness Campaign.
http://kindness.sg/category/public/

First picture at top, I looked at it and thought, does that say:
'I will arrest my neighbour' !?

(as for the 'Reel Pledge' sign, maybe one for the Singlish campaign?)

:)


Ahem... 'I will greet my neighbour'

:P

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 890
Joined: Mon, 02 Mar 2009

Postby morenangpinay » Mon, 16 Jul 2012 11:04 am

Now, i noticed they have a new campaign going. i noticed along bukit timah road posters for "walk to your left" when on the walkway. Must be a new campaign.

User avatar
BillyB
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1807
Joined: Fri, 23 Jul 2010
Location: My laptop

Postby BillyB » Mon, 16 Jul 2012 11:09 am

morenangpinay wrote:Now, i noticed they have a new campaign going. i noticed along bukit timah road posters for "walk to your left" when on the walkway. Must be a new campaign.


Seriously?!

That's almost like trying to introduce - 'no stopping to use your mobile whilst walking in a busy area'.......

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Mon, 16 Jul 2012 11:10 am

morenangpinay wrote:Now, i noticed they have a new campaign going. i noticed along bukit timah road posters for "walk to your left" when on the walkway. Must be a new campaign.


Happens in one north MRT during the morning/afternoon rush. For some reason, it does not during the lunch hour.

I wish it happens everywhere, all the time. Ditto with people by the doors stepping out so that people can exit the train cars.

Those arrows by the train doors on the platform floors are slowly gaining traction so I guess Singapore is progressing, albeit with baby steps.

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 890
Joined: Mon, 02 Mar 2009

Postby morenangpinay » Mon, 16 Jul 2012 11:32 am

haven't had the opportunity to take a pic of the posters though. One poster said: If you can take 10mins to use your phone, you can take 10 mins to walk to your left.

or something like that.. :lol:

another poster had a large iphone with a photo of a smiling girl with the caption instasmile

so i dont know how it would affect the campaign but im sure they hit 2 birds with one stone on that one. Promoting Instagram and promoting iphone. :roll:
Last edited by morenangpinay on Mon, 16 Jul 2012 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
BillyB
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1807
Joined: Fri, 23 Jul 2010
Location: My laptop

Postby BillyB » Mon, 16 Jul 2012 11:38 am

morenangpinay wrote:haven't had the opportunity to take a pic of the posters though. One poster said: If you can take 10mins to use your phone, you can take 10 mins to walk to your left.

or something like that.. :lol:


Trying to kill two birds with one stone - there might be a revolution soon!

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5272
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Postby the lynx » Mon, 16 Jul 2012 11:41 am

morenangpinay wrote:haven't had the opportunity to take a pic of the posters though. One poster said: If you can take 10mins to use your phone, you can take 10 mins to walk to your left.

or something like that.. :lol:


Or

"If you can take 2 minutes to look for words, you can take 2 seconds to give up your seat" (this is a reference to Scramble With Friends game app on mobile)

"If you can take 10 minutes to touch up your photo, you can take 10 seconds to make someone smile" (this is a reference to Instagram app on mobile)

Disclaimer: These two are based on what I remember seeing on the posters. Some parts may be slightly inaccurate. Please correct me if you do know of the actual ones.

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Mon, 16 Jul 2012 11:41 am

I saw something like "Flinging birds in space: 20 minutes. (something that involves courtesy) : 20 seconds" on a bus.

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9320
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Mon, 16 Jul 2012 12:38 pm

revhappy wrote:
poodlek wrote:
revhappy wrote:I find the locals really friendly and courteous. This feeling has become even more pronounced ever since we had our baby. We travel always by public transport and even when the bus is fully packed my wife never had an issue with getting a seat. When we take our baby out on pram on the lift somebody always helps us with holding the 'open' button until we get out or in. Not sure what you guys are on about. Do you guys get any better treatment in your own country?


LOL It sounds as if you've been extremely lucky! I've found SG'ns "courtesy" to be in approximately last place of all the places I've visited in Asia...for all the reasons you mentioned, the opposite is more often true. But maybe it's just the routes you take? I find people to be more friendly in Little India than in Chinatown, for instance.


We live in tampines and most of our encounters with locals is in our own block or when we catch the town link bus to get to the tampines central. It's not just once. We have been here with our baby for last 3 months and travel a lot. Can't find anything missing with the local's courteousness. May be I feel that way because I come from India. But still can't imagine how much better US or UK or AU would be.

People are generally polite and proactively helpful especially if they see you have or may have a problem with something like a pram so they will give you priority in the lift, on the street, help to remove the pram from bus, give you a non-priority seat. Here they just focused on themselves and it does not matter you are just an average Joe or a pregnant lady with a pram and a number of shopping bags. We used to leave in a condo, far West district, big one, few foreigners only, ca 30% of people entering the lift greeted you. Later we moved to somewhere more downtown, lots of foreigners, almost everybody entering the lift greeted you. Now we live in an EC one, middle size, probably 2 angmoh families in total, and guess what, nobody greets you in the lift, zero. There are courteous local people around and also proactive in the above sense but they are like gems. Majority will not only ignore if you need some help, they will watch you with pleasure having troubles like they watch a tv show. I think I told this story earlier when my motorbike got broken and we (myself and my wife) were just pushing it back home in a pretty heavy rain. Many of the passing cars just slowed down so they could better watch often laughing at us and the only car that stopped and asked whether we need any help was some angmoh in a pickup truck.

Hidy Ho
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 176
Joined: Fri, 07 Oct 2011

Postby Hidy Ho » Mon, 16 Jul 2012 3:02 pm

poodlek wrote:LOL It sounds as if you've been extremely lucky! I've found SG'ns "courtesy" to be in approximately last place of all the places I've visited in Asia...for all the reasons you mentioned, the opposite is more often true.


I haven't been to China but I agree that courtesy here is not that high and I don't know if they are PRC or Singaporean Chinese but it's more of "them" vs. Malay or Indonesians (which I can't seem to tell apart either). I find more smiles from Malays/Indonesian than ethnically Chinese folks.

The lack of "queuing" drives me crazy as well as not knowing whether to walk on left or right side of the sidewalk in a busy street.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Staying, Living in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests