10 things I hate about Singapore

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
Post Reply
uscate
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 270
Joined: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 1:42 am
Location: Bahstin

Post by uscate » Mon, 06 May 2013 6:13 am

I've found that public transit and cabs in Singapore are a terrific (and inexpensive) alternative to a private car and can get you exactly where you want/need to go without the hassle of figuring out where to park once you get there. If I had a bunch of babies or toddlers in tow I might think differently, but since I don't, I really don't miss my car.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 39562
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 10
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 06 May 2013 6:56 am

^^^^

+100
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

User avatar
Brah
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1965
Joined: Sat, 18 Dec 2010 2:59 pm

Post by Brah » Mon, 06 May 2013 7:41 am

...provided you can get a cab when you need one.

As long as it's not raining, 9:30-11pm, certain times in the morning, certain parts of town, etc.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 39562
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 10
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 06 May 2013 8:10 am

Public transport also includes the Buses & MRT, not just Taxis. :wink:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

uscate
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 270
Joined: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 1:42 am
Location: Bahstin

Post by uscate » Mon, 06 May 2013 8:11 am

True, but that little cab app does help....plus I've found that getting a cab here is markedly easier (in any kind of weather) than getting a cab in Boston, NY, DC or San Francisco....

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5274
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010 6:29 pm
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 06 May 2013 1:21 pm

uscate wrote:I've found that public transit and cabs in Singapore are a terrific (and inexpensive) alternative to a private car and can get you exactly where you want/need to go without the hassle of figuring out where to park once you get there. If I had a bunch of babies or toddlers in tow I might think differently, but since I don't, I really don't miss my car.
Agreed!

And I don't really miss my car...

Hidy Ho
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 176
Joined: Fri, 07 Oct 2011 7:40 am

Post by Hidy Ho » Mon, 06 May 2013 1:33 pm

I don't miss my car here but did miss it a lot when I was back in USA in March and drove my rental from San Francisco to LA and back.

User avatar
Sooner8
Member
Member
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri, 03 May 2013 6:10 am

Post by Sooner8 » Mon, 06 May 2013 5:30 pm

Brah wrote:...provided you can get a cab when you need one.

As long as it's not raining, 9:30-11pm, certain times in the morning, certain parts of town, etc.
Thank you all for your responses on this subject.

I have read about cabs and their unavailability during rains. What gives? Are they afraid to drive on wet surfaces or are the rains particularly nasty in intensity?

What if you have a medical need and taxis are (app or no app) not available (as is widely talked about in anything SIN living related), are their ambulances? Govt or private service.

With a 16 mo daughter in tow, transportation takes on an added weight.

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6865
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011 1:35 pm
Location: Once more unto the breach

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 06 May 2013 5:36 pm

Sooner8 wrote: I have read about cabs and their unavailability during rains. What gives? Are they afraid to drive on wet surfaces or are the rains particularly nasty in intensity?
Taxi drivers take breaks during this time. If you've driven in Singapore in the rain, you'll note that it isn't the rain that causes the trouble, but the passive / blur drivers who get even more worse during this weather. If I drove a taxi for a living I'd use this time to get my lunch also.

User avatar
Sooner8
Member
Member
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri, 03 May 2013 6:10 am

Post by Sooner8 » Mon, 06 May 2013 5:49 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
Sooner8 wrote: I have read about cabs and their unavailability during rains. What gives? Are they afraid to drive on wet surfaces or are the rains particularly nasty in intensity?
Taxi drivers take breaks during this time. If you've driven in Singapore in the rain, you'll note that it isn't the rain that causes the trouble, but the passive / blur drivers who get even more worse during this weather. If I drove a taxi for a living I'd use this time to get my lunch also.
Thank you. Understood. So, too many not very confident, competent drivers on roads and the cabbies take a break

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 39562
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 10
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 06 May 2013 7:27 pm

Sooner8 wrote: Thank you. Understood. So, too many not very confident, competent drivers on roads and the cabbies take a break
Close but not quite, they are very confident, but incompetent, so they are accidents just looking for places to happen.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16516
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 12:43 pm
Location: K. Puki Manis

Post by JR8 » Mon, 06 May 2013 9:25 pm

Sooner8 wrote: I have read about cabs and their unavailability during rains. What gives? Are they afraid to drive on wet surfaces or are the rains particularly nasty in intensity?
People who might walk to a destination, or stand at a bus-stop, will take a taxi instead during heavy rain. Just like in many cities in the world.
Sooner8 wrote: What if you have a medical need and taxis are (app or no app) not available (as is widely talked about in anything SIN living related), are their ambulances? Govt or private service.

With a 16 mo daughter in tow, transportation takes on an added weight.
Well consider that some locals will pull over to stop an ambulance on 'blue lights' from overtaking (or else they are somehow perceived to have 'Won')

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 999
Joined: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 6:04 pm

Post by Hannieroo » Mon, 06 May 2013 10:21 pm

The driving is shocking. I drive out to Tuas and back every morning and every evening, today was better when I made the conscious decision to drive like an a$$hole too.

User avatar
Brah
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1965
Joined: Sat, 18 Dec 2010 2:59 pm

Post by Brah » Mon, 06 May 2013 10:41 pm

Sooner8 wrote:
Brah wrote:...provided you can get a cab when you need one.

As long as it's not raining, 9:30-11pm, certain times in the morning, certain parts of town, etc.
I have read about cabs and their unavailability during rains. What gives? Are they afraid to drive on wet surfaces or are the rains particularly nasty in intensity?
They will choose call-ins over picking up people on the street, and there's more call-ins when it rains.

User avatar
Sooner8
Member
Member
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri, 03 May 2013 6:10 am

Post by Sooner8 » Tue, 07 May 2013 10:30 am

Thank you SMS, Brah, JR8 and Hannieroo. SIN gets more and more intriguing as I learn more about the place.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Staying, Living in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests