Singapore Expats Forum

10 things I hate about Singapore

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.

Sponsored by:
Image
AE Logistics - Singapore Movers

User avatar
Brah
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1962
Joined: Sat, 18 Dec 2010

Postby Brah » Sun, 03 Feb 2013 8:55 pm

I've posted before how I deal with the kiasu They-won't-move-for-me-even-though-I'm-trying-to-be-polite-here thing by looking oncomers straight in the eye. It seems to work pretty well.

But I will experiment with JR's method.

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 3936
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012
Location: SIndiapore

Postby Wd40 » Sun, 03 Feb 2013 9:30 pm

I always move out of the way, especially when its the opposite sex on the other end. The last thing I want in Singapore is a case on me on "outrage of modesty" :lol:

But seriously, I always move out of the way, it just makes me feel that I am more nimble and energetic than the other person. I dont take it as losing face or anything of that sort.

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9318
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Sun, 03 Feb 2013 10:34 pm

JR8 wrote:I decided that one weekend I'd experiment and not move out of anyones way.

The result was very few people walked into me. The few who did -mostly youths-, kinda bounced off me (which was interesting to observe), but they were often apologetic about it.

My conclusion was that the 'blur like sotong' shtick is a kiasu game of chicken. You move out of their way = they 'win'.

You should try it yourself.

I've done it before. Same observations. Conclusions - not sure if it's kiasu based, IMO purely opportunistic (maybe you will move your ass out of my way so I will not need to do it).

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9318
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Sun, 03 Feb 2013 10:43 pm

nakatago wrote:This country gets to you. It gets into your skin, into your system...and before you know it, you have become what you hate.

You are pissed off because you still resist. You can adapt but not assimilate. After ++10 of living here there is no single thing I consider important that got into my system. That's why it is sometimes so difficult.

iamsen
Regular
Regular
Posts: 104
Joined: Sun, 03 Feb 2013

Postby iamsen » Sun, 03 Feb 2013 11:20 pm

nakatago wrote:This country gets to you. It gets into your skin, into your system...and before you know it, you have become what you hate.

I have the seen the enemy and the enemy is us.

Are you new here? Go, save yourselves. It's too late for us now.


I spent a good 2 decades and then some on this island before managing to crawl my way out, and have managed to elude it's grasp for the past decade until a 'family matter' dragged me back here kicking and screaming.

Till this day I still do not understand the logical fallacy where these fine people, my friends & family, typically smart and well educated by any standard, are able to criticise the government, the system, the price of living, agree that in Japan my QOL was better, career prospects were better, my mental health was better, and despite all that, still somehow conclude that my life would be better off on this little hellhole.

Anyway I have my backup plans and will be leaving for good around the latter half of the year.

iamsen
Regular
Regular
Posts: 104
Joined: Sun, 03 Feb 2013

Postby iamsen » Mon, 04 Feb 2013 12:09 am

7th Grade Science Project sends Hello Kitty to Space
http://youtu.be/5REsCTG4-Gg
http://www.gizmodiva.com/other_stuff/7t ... -space.php


This is a better use of Hello Kitty.

User avatar
rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2825
Joined: Sat, 24 Nov 2012
Location: Singapore

Postby rajagainstthemachine » Mon, 04 Feb 2013 12:14 am

this is what singapore stores needs to sell more
Image

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Mon, 04 Feb 2013 4:55 am

iamsen wrote:7th Grade Science Project sends Hello Kitty to Space
http://youtu.be/5REsCTG4-Gg
http://www.gizmodiva.com/other_stuff/7t ... -space.php

This is a better use of Hello Kitty.



I prepared to be underwhelmed after reading the description... but wow, it was brilliant (and witty)!

Thanks for posting it, I shared it on FB.

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Mon, 04 Feb 2013 9:19 am

x9200 wrote:
nakatago wrote:This country gets to you. It gets into your skin, into your system...and before you know it, you have become what you hate.

You are pissed off because you still resist. You can adapt but not assimilate. After ++10 of living here there is no single thing I consider important that got into my system. That's why it is sometimes so difficult.


Well, we both know it's moot now, isn't it? :wink:

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Mon, 04 Feb 2013 9:22 am

iamsen wrote:
Till this day I still do not understand the logical fallacy where these fine people, my friends & family, typically smart and well educated by any standard, are able to criticise the government, the system, the price of living, agree that in Japan my QOL was better, career prospects were better, my mental health was better, and despite all that, still somehow conclude that my life would be better off on this little hellhole.


There's no place like home. (Un)fortunately, the gahmen made it abundantly clear where home is...depending if you're a foreigner or a citizen.

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 890
Joined: Mon, 02 Mar 2009

Postby morenangpinay » Mon, 04 Feb 2013 3:19 pm

speaking of pissed off. i always step on people's flip flops when getting off the escalator. for some reason they tend to take their time getting off so I don't have any choice but to step on them or push them out the way.

User avatar
Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1791
Joined: Sat, 19 Jun 2004
Location: Kinto Pino

Postby Mi Amigo » Mon, 04 Feb 2013 4:04 pm

JR8 wrote:
iamsen wrote:7th Grade Science Project sends Hello Kitty to Space
http://youtu.be/5REsCTG4-Gg
http://www.gizmodiva.com/other_stuff/7t ... -space.php

This is a better use of Hello Kitty.



I prepared to be underwhelmed after reading the description... but wow, it was brilliant (and witty)!

^^^ +1

Not sure about the music, but the video is excellent!
Be careful what you wish for

movingtospore
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 699
Joined: Thu, 23 Jul 2009

Postby movingtospore » Mon, 04 Feb 2013 9:17 pm

Brah wrote:I've posted before how I deal with the kiasu They-won't-move-for-me-even-though-I'm-trying-to-be-polite-here thing by looking oncomers straight in the eye. It seems to work pretty well.

But I will experiment with JR's method.


I just carry a very large bag and be sure they feel it's wrath when they refuse to budget at least halfway. Works every time.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35160
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 05 Feb 2013 12:01 am

My large bag was a 14kg hard side Samsonite briefcase. It's left many a massive bruise on knees & thighs of those who crowd the doorways so I cannot get out of the MRT carriage. But I always apologize....

"I'm sorry!!!! If you hadn't been so bloodly rude and inconsiderate by not letting us out of the train before you tried to get in, that wouldn't have happened. Maybe tomorrow, when I come home you will realize the mistake. But I doubt it."

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Tue, 05 Feb 2013 12:24 am

^^^ +1: Harsh but fair.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Staying, Living in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests