Singapore Expats

10 things I hate about Singapore

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
quidsin
Regular
Regular

10 things I hate about Singapore

Post by quidsin » Wed, 20 Jun 2012 9:31 pm

In no particular order:

1. Hocking
We've all heard it, the legendary technique of clearing ones throat in public with no consideration for others - a disgusting act, have repremanded a number of individuals, suggest others exercise the same.

2. All ang mo's are rich
There appears to be this mis-conception among locals that ang mo's are loaded with endless amounts of cash. Hello???? Take a look around and look at how rich the locals are!!!

3. Greedy landlords
Mind over matter; they don't mind and you don't matter. Artificially inflate rents and hold out until they get their price, might mean leaving the place empty for a while but I guess they can afford to do this if they don't have a mortgage and own 10 apartments

4. Shopping
The national sport, or would they just be happy walking around an empty building with air-con on full blast. Take a look around a shopping centre next time your out, and just count how many people actually have a bag with purchased goods, no one is there to buy anything, just keeping cool.

5. Food
Quantity not quality - that's the locals attitude to food, absolutely clueless as to what good quality food is. If you see an Italian restaurant packed with locals, likel it's not up to much, so give it a miss. It's also impossible to find good quality produce here, supermarkerts buy cheap cr*p and sell it at a rediculously high price, nothing worse than eating cr*p food, even worse when you pay 3x more for it.

6. Driving - tail gating
A fairly stringent driving test consisting of theory and a number of practicals, but obviously don't teach the dangers of tail gating or cutting everyone up, I guess they must be teaching them how to sit in the car and stare like zombies from a - b.
Not sure how to change this behaviour, taxi drivers might be a good place to start and more police on the highways.

7. Cookie cutter people
Everyone cut from the same mold and programmed to be boring with zero personality. I guess this is a form of brain washing, don't expect riviting conversation with the local contingent as your likely to die of boredom in the process.

8. The Weather
I know there is nothing they can do about this but I'll cover it anyway. Hot, hotter and even hotter - Wet, wetter, and even wetter. It's unbearable so get used to sweating and getting wet and consciously losing what time of year it is as it never changes, groundhog day!!

9. Medical Certificate - aka "MC agh"
In all my life, I have never met so many people with such poor health, sneeze and they take the day off. I have even seen someone book an MC in advance and apparently it's legal! And the govt wonders why they don't have a productive workforce?

10. Incoherent
Walked into my condo mgmt office yesterday, said i had lost my access card and needed a new one. The guy said to me "do you know where you lost it" - retarded question, but not surprised. You'll get used to asking questions more than once, hugely frustrating no matter how slow you try to talk..

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 20 Jun 2012 10:37 pm

To all readers brought here by the comments in TR, TOC, CNA, Yahoo, SG, HWZ, VR, SBF or whatever forums or even blogger, blogspot, livejournal, tumblr, pinterest, foursquare, instagram, 4chan, FB, G+, My ____, Friendster or geocities: hi there! Welcome and we hope you enjoy your visit.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Wed, 20 Jun 2012 10:55 pm

You've heard it before, but, if you don't like it, the planes fly OUT of Changi as well as in!

Lol @ Nak, I can see this being fairly viral if the right people see it, Get ready to moderate ;)
nutnut

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Thu, 21 Jun 2012 5:39 am

It is probably better for quidsin - and certainly better for Singapore - if he leaves this place as soon as possible and forever.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 21 Jun 2012 6:00 am

I thought it rather a good flame actually.

What are you going to make such commentators do? Always post 'The ten things I hate, BUT the ten things I like too'?, or, 'Some PRC bitch cut me up this morning, but here's a really heart-warming story of a local that happened later'?

Hey, if you don't like it you know where the Logout button is.

As you critics would suggest yourselves, eh? :)

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 21 Jun 2012 6:54 am

I'm rolling on the floor laughing my arse off! I like it so much it was worth spelling it out rather than using the acronym! I said every one of them at least once if not a million times! Good one. Damn shame he didn't hold it till Friday! :lol:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 21 Jun 2012 7:01 am

Reckon quidsin has a bit more lead in his pencil yet...

Hey quids.... fancy posting the 2nd installment on Friday morning? Always good to have some xeno grease on the tracks lining up for the weekend.

Er, :wink:

bluenose
Chatter
Chatter

Post by bluenose » Thu, 21 Jun 2012 7:11 am

Quidsin...
for me you made me laugh...thanks. I for one will not tell you to get the plane....you are entitled to your opinion and share your experiences....
It made me chuckle as obviously everyone has been through the same experience!
You forgot the one where most Locals treat their maids as real slaves and then the government writes in new rules to say stop mal treating maids.....obviously it has the same effect as the local driving test :wink:

Thanks for the funny side!

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter

Post by morenangpinay » Thu, 21 Jun 2012 10:17 am

you forgot the death defying window cleaning issue...which the government responded with they may clean but with supervision from the boss. ..i suppose so the boss can call the police asap once the maid falls.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Thu, 21 Jun 2012 10:28 am

...and people complaining about making a day off mandatory? :roll:
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

smarty_sal

too too funny

Post by smarty_sal » Fri, 22 Jun 2012 5:53 am

Well, I also wouldn't say take a plane out...but I jus wander why would you stay in a plce you fine so repulsive? The money?..ur made to?...I shoul dbe moving to Singapore but I have lived as an expat in Dubai, now in Egypt and I hear the same old criticism about local habits, and the funny thing is they choose to live in the country yet still make fun of it....hehehe really u guys have me rolling and laughing my ass off!

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 22 Jun 2012 5:59 am

Like Arabia.... don leave ah, dat my advices.

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Fri, 22 Jun 2012 8:58 am

Singapore and it's ways have been here a lot longer than you and will be for many year longer after you leave

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 22 Jun 2012 9:52 am

Actually, I beg to differ. Singaporeans have changed considerably in the 30 years that I've been here. It's definitely gone up in infrastructure and down in heartware.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

x9200

Post by x9200 » Fri, 22 Jun 2012 9:55 am

OP is trolling or more likely just venting off as majority of us in similar or a different form. No need to board an airplane and for the trolling part, let's not be the hypocrites :cool: