Singapore Expats Forum

Assange stiffs his bail-posting 'friends'

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6837
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Fri, 06 Jul 2012 9:18 am

An entertaining read:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/artic ... ds-newsxml

How long does it take to make such a simple decision? I can't imagine there is too long of a queue for asylum seekers to Ecuador that Mr Assange is waiting in.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Fri, 06 Jul 2012 5:54 pm

I reckon they're still weighing up the international fall-out of having him operating from Ecuador.

Oh, and plus, there is no way for him to get out of the embassy without being arrested. Unless they make him Ecuadorian, give him diplomatic status and immunity... but that would be a pretty wingy-dingy thing to do.

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6837
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Fri, 06 Jul 2012 6:07 pm

JR8 wrote:I reckon they're still weighing up the international fall-out of having him operating from Ecuador.

Oh, and plus, there is no way for him to get out of the embassy without being arrested. Unless they make him Ecuadorian, give him diplomatic status and immunity... but that would be a pretty wingy-dingy thing to do.


Couldn't they stick him inside a diplomatic pouch?

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Fri, 06 Jul 2012 6:14 pm

If he wants to spend the journey in a box in the unpressurised cargo hold of a plane :)


p.s. Reminds me of a Velvet Underground song from long long ago. The guy in the box ends up getting a knife through the head when the addressee attempts to open it.

Edit to Add:
Velvet Underground - The Gift
http://www.songmeanings.net/songs/view/36381/ :)

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10414
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Postby Strong Eagle » Fri, 06 Jul 2012 6:43 pm

JR8 wrote:If he wants to spend the journey in a box in the unpressurised cargo hold of a plane :)


All cargo holds are pressurized. Even the freighters with up and down cargo holds.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Fri, 06 Jul 2012 6:49 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
JR8 wrote:If he wants to spend the journey in a box in the unpressurised cargo hold of a plane :)


All cargo holds are pressurized. Even the freighters with up and down cargo holds.


Issit? Do they heat it too? As sometimes my bag comes out and the contents are cold.


p.s. You can send some pretty funky stuff via Dip Bags, but I've not heard of them being used for live people :)

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6837
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Fri, 06 Jul 2012 9:11 pm

Pets travel in cargo holds, so I imagine he would be ok albeit a bit chilly.

And once he was in the air, I'm sure they could let him out of the bag :P

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10414
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Postby Strong Eagle » Sat, 07 Jul 2012 5:08 pm

JR8 wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:
JR8 wrote:If he wants to spend the journey in a box in the unpressurised cargo hold of a plane :)


All cargo holds are pressurized. Even the freighters with up and down cargo holds.


Issit? Do they heat it too? As sometimes my bag comes out and the contents are cold.


'Tis true. The cross section of an aircraft is cylindrical... if the cargo area under the passenger floor were not pressurized, it would cause the passenger floor to collapse into the cargo area due to the pressure differential.

As for temperatures, pressurized air is drawn from the engine compressor stage... it is hot... needs to be air conditioned to cool it down... which takes energy... so if anything is cool in the cargo area, it's probably because of where it is located, not the actual air temperature, which will be the same as in the passenger compartment.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest